Mazda3 Forums banner

Why are you not a loyal soccer fan?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, many of us are baseball, basketball, football, e.t.c., fans but few are soccer fans. Even fewer of us are soccer players.  The 06 World Cup was watched by one billion people and 200 countries!
We would have thought that by now the sport would be more mainstream here in the USA.  However, it seems that there is a long way until the game catches on and we have some loyal fans.
How many of you can even name the pro-soccer team nearest to you?

vote and comment below:

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I say leave soccer for the "third world" to play, and they can have Rugby too!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
[quote author=knoxindy link=topic=51090.msg812448#msg812448 date=1152502811]
i think a lot of soccer is just people wanting their country to beat another country....soccer just happens to be the weapon.
[/quote]

:werd:

People don't form drunken riotous mobs because they like a game....

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=BRUCE! link=topic=51090.msg812436#msg812436 date=1152502534]
I say leave soccer for the "third world" to play, and they can have Rugby too!
[/quote]

what a superiorist comment that is.  And who is the 3rd world?  Europe?
Are we not an offspring of europe and its culture?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=Maverick9110E link=topic=51090.msg812463#msg812463 date=1152503234]
just dont like it. it can be slow. (which is why i dont like baseball or golf) plus the damn clock counts up. wtf.
[/quote]
Yes, there is nothing worse than the slowness of baseball.
If it wasn't for the beer and hot dogs, it would totally suck!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=knoxindy link=topic=51090.msg812448#msg812448 date=1152502811]
it will never catch on here.....just like american football and baseball outside of the US.

i think a lot of soccer is just people wanting their country to beat another country....soccer just happens to be the weapon.
[/quote]

Once you get to know soccer you will love it.
It is a sport that unites people from all over the world.
The fan experience in the World Cup is nothing that of any other sport.
Makes superbowl look totally superficial!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
In my eyes, soccer only has the appearance of being a fast paced sport. Pardon the nerdy science reference, but it's a lot like a system at equilibrium... if you look at indivdual parts, you get the appearance of something dynamic and exciting, but when you view the system as a whole, there's not a lot going on. The ball bounces back and forth like crazy, and people are running and jumping and kicking like mad, but actual interesting events are few and far between.

On the other hand, one of the appeals of baseball is the how neatly a game lends itself to analysis. Each player in the game has a very definite role, and their performance can be tracked precisely, and be boiled down into a few key descriptive statistics. Like chess, you can record the details of a game pretty succinctly and recreate it later on. It has a certain mathematical quality to it. Hell, maybe that's why the Japanese like it so much...

Goddamn, I know it's time to go to bed when I start talking about everything like it was a freakin engineering problem! :lol:

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
No, you're right. But that doesn't mean that things with those qualities don't hold a certain appeal. Especially to people like me (nerd, geek, whatever you want to call it) It's hard to go through 4 years of engineering school without a special appreciation for things that are mathematical in nature. Not that "mathematical" neccessarily implies predictibility ot measureability. (e.g. chaos and complexity thories)

I'm not a big sports fan in general, but when I do actually shell out money for a ticket, 4 times out of 5 it's for our local minor league baseball team.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Think again if you think it will never make it here. Go by any school or field during the fall . You will find mutlitudes of kids of all ages playing Soccer. For the generation that is playing now soccer is becoming the sport of choice. More and more people are being attracted to soccer because of its simplicity . The stars have a better attitude than in some other sports. Yes there are some bad apples in every sport but so far you dont see the stars acting like a bunch of Primadonnas.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My reasons soccer isnt big here

a) stadiums - stadiums suck and are footall fields. They dont have the same atmosphere and seating you would find at a normal game thus you cant feel the intensity and atmosphere of the game.

b) talent - the talent in the mls sucks. Its a div 2 league. Once they start bringing in some actual real talent I bet people will start to watch. No one watches the MLS because the talent sucks, but once you get the Champions League and WC around people starting watching because its a good product.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I just don't think there is enough of a draw for it in the U.S.

I used to be a big soccer fan when I produced a radio broadcast for the local soccer team's games years ago (1999-2002). Unfortunately they went under in 2002 due to low attendance and not enough money coming in. They used to be very popular in my area, were semi-pro and had a hell of a record. They were called the Harrisburg Heat, and did very well in the MISL. http://www.misl.net/

I don't know why soccer can't catch on like Baseball or Football, but there is the audience out there, I used to see them. When I worked the radio broadcasts for the Heat they used to pull in crowds from 6,000 - 10,000 people a game.

The biggest draw locally in my area is still Hockey. The Hershey Bears (http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hershey_bears/) just won the second highest possible trophy in Hockey, the Calder Cup. I was at their last home game this year which was Game 5 of the Finals. 10,800 some people packed the GIANT Center and it was amazing. I'm glad there is still something pulling in crowds like that in my area.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Theres not a market for it? Whenever Barcelona Chelsea or other big clubs come to play MLS All Star teams they sell out football stadiums easily. Its an easily formulation bring in talent and fans will come. Im not going to say its going to bring 60k every game but I could say then could bring 20k in routinely eventually.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
If I get a chance I watch the Euro Leagues play.

My fiance, brother in law, and little sister played many years of rec league soccer. My dad, father in law, brother in law, fiance, and sister in law all referee(d). My father in law still coaches even though his kids are out of the youth leagues.

I've watched most of the world cup games, and all three of the US ones. Until we get some tallent that isn't over cocky we're going to suck and no one will want to watch it.

HOWEVER. People will play it. Why? Because it is cheap to get into. Cleats, shin guards and a ball. It is easy to play (some of the rules are tricky, but the rec league refs are usually pretty good.) Used to be when I was little that everyone would get together in an unused lot and play baseball/kickball. Now it seems to be soccer. I could ask my dad and father in law how many kids are at their two region's fields every Saturday. I'd probably say 300+ each.

Problems why people won't watch:
Soccer is low scoring. (See Hockey)
Soccer seems to be a ME sport. (All about one or two good strikers and a goalie.)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
theres no market for soccer here because
1.its popular because you only need a ball and people. most poor people cant afford much equipment for baseball you need gloves, bats balls, diamond. basketball requires nets. football could be played with just a ball but there would be injuries if played tackle style.

2. countries who participate act like supremacasts and usually act racist and that kind of behavior is not accepted in the US. Like when US plays mexico, the mexican crowd attacks US players and yells out racist chants. same with italy vs france and other countries. they are allwaving their flage like italy actually accomplished something. USA is too diverse for that behavior.

3. because USA is #1 in everything it does, all countries would savor defeating the USA the most. same as in world baseball classic.

4. baseball is a much much much better sport in every way.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^
1. mostly agree

2. soccer brings people and nations together.  There is nothing wrong with being proud of your own nation and thinking it is the best.  We all do it.
Many people in the US are indeed racist, be it between each american or to the rest of the world.

3.  It is our cocky and supremacist attitude that wants others to kick our ass. Though again all nations do it, our cockiness and 'we are the best attitude' is the worst in the world.

4. Baseball is very slow and sucks, athletisism is also low.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
too much "diving" and not enough enforcement of the "no diving" rules. Players should be sent off for faking an injury, but it never happens. they use it as a form of time-out, which isn't how the game is supposed to be played.

can you imagine soccer players playing football? Hut one, hut two, HIKE! then 22 players rolling on the ground holding various parts of their bodies...LOL!

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
[quote author=ADaughen link=topic=51090.msg813193#msg813193 date=1152546537]
Problems why people won't watch:
Soccer is low scoring.  (See Hockey)
Soccer seems to be a ME sport.  (All about one or two good strikers and a goalie.)
[/quote]

Golf is the lowest scoring.... Ok yea, but still, why do people watch Golf? I never understand that...

Anyways, I'm think Soccer is opposite of a ME sport. It is the art of teamwork that is the most amazing about soccer, and it has been compared to chess. If there were more shots on net, it doesn't matter how great a goalie you have. If you can't get the ball past midfield, it doesn't matter how good your strikers are. Rarely do you see people hogging the ball in soccer... because you'll always be outnumbered when you are on the offsenive.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts