Mazda3 Forums banner

Silver GT (ordered w/ 2month wait, -222 from MSRP) or Cosmic Blue Sport (on lot, -1000 from MSRP)?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's the predicament. I've got my choice of two Mazdaspeed3 to choose from and I need help deciding which is the best deal, both short term and for the long run. I've negotiated pretty much as far as I can go for both of them, and both involve a $6000 trade-in.

Choice #1 details:

Sunlight Silver GT w/ no accessories
MSRP: $24,550
(ordered w/ ~ 2month wait)
build date : March 2007
estimated arrival: May 2007

negotiated -$222 from MSRP
"out-the-door" price w/ $6000 trade-in = $19,441

Choice #2 details:

Cosmic Blue Sport w/ cargo net & wheel locks
MSRP: $22,915
(on the lot & ready to go)
build date: Dec 2006

negotiated -$1000 from MSRP
"out-the-door" price w/ $6000 trade-in = $16,931

I test drove the Cosmic Blue yesterday with the intent to wait for my ordered Silver GT, but the salesperson seemed willing to deal w/ the sport model. The car had 45miles on the odometer before the test drive, and I put about 15miles during the test drive bringing it to about 60miles. Another notable, the salesman mentioned that was there was a slight scuff on the spoiler on the CB sport that occured during transit. The body shop buffed and polished the scuff, and it is no longer visable. I checked it out and didn't see any signs of the said scuff. I will go back later today or tomorrow morning and inspect the car a bit further and take it for a more refined test drive.

All in all.....I figure I'd save about $2500 going w/ the sport and spend about $700 to buy some aftermarket HIDs, LED tails. The semi-leather seats, security system, auto wipers/lights, and the bose system aren't really up there on the 'must have' list. Thereby, saving me $1800 in the long run which I can save for future mods like a CAI, TMIC, fund a projector retrofit project and other goodies. Otherwise, wait for the March 2007 build and purchase the Silver GT in May 2007.

So what should I pull the trigger for Choice #1 (Silver GT, ordered) or Choice #2 (Cosmic Blue Sport, on the lot)? I plan on purchasing the car in full w/ money in hand, so no financing or loans are involved in the transaction.

Help. Your vote and comments are appreciated :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just wait, patience is a virtue. Besides if you would plan on doing all the GT upgrades yourself, you may as well have the warranty. Not that sport isn't nice, but you learn to really enjoy the creature comforts/uniqueness of the GT.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True....patience. The planned mods to bring the sport to my personal "GT-like" spec will be done myself. I knew that I could negotiate w/ the sport, and $2500 is a lot of savings...but the GT is very nice to. This is pretty much a win-win/break even situation. *grrrrr*

Please leave a comment w/ your vote, I really need help w/ this decision. :D

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
its worth the wait - get what you WANT. If you like CB, get the CB, if you like SS get SS. I personally wanted the GT model, i know I COULD add all the stuff aftermarket - but why? That takes time effort and money - and it won't be OEM. I know I would not have the time to immediately add the HID's when I get my car - or the stereo, and I like the leather seat look - so doing all that would have taken not only money out of pocket but a big chunk of my time where i could be driving, rather than modding :)

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
it seems you originally wanted the GT, I suggest you stay with your gut and just wait. An impulse buy now that saves you a little waiting will reap no benefits a year down the road.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I second everybody's opinion, patience is virtue and there's nothing like the feeling of driving 'your' car off the lot, the car you ordered and babied from order date to delivery date. The experience is awesome and if you have the patience, and it seems you do, WAIT... it's worthy.

Plus, money you save now is money you can spend in the following months for mods. Every week or so new aftermarket parts come out and they get better and better.

Besides, May feels like just around the corner... Ohh Spring... stock tires.

I got my stock back on mine... I so missed the razor sharp handling :(

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'd go for the sport... but that's just me. I prefer Cosmic Blue (I actually had my dealership swap a silver out with another dealer because I wanted CB). The only thing that interests me in the GT would be the HIDs. The trip computer is pretty cool... but I unlocked that in my sport. I was originally going to for a GT because I had heard the Sport would not have the automatic climate control (that together with the HIDs kind of threw me over the edge). But the Sport has that already. So a couple or few grand is a lot to pay for HIDs. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
[quote author=Speed3me link=topic=70891.msg1244391#msg1244391 date=1172858741]
I'd go for the sport... but that's just me. I prefer Cosmic Blue (I actually had my dealership swap a silver out with another dealer because I wanted CB). The only thing that interests me in the GT would be the HIDs. The trip computer is pretty cool... but I unlocked that in my sport. I was originally going to for a GT because I had heard the Sport would not have the automatic climate control (that together with the HIDs kind of threw me over the edge). But the Sport has that already. So a couple or few grand is a lot to pay for HIDs. No thanks.
[/quote]

and the leather and the bose and the alarm

:popcorn:
lemme grab some cause I see another GT vs. Sport discussion starting...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I'd say GT, just because, hell, it's a GT. Granted, you can get HID kits aftermarket and leather may not matter to you, but it's all the little things that made the GT better for me, and ended up being the reason I purchased it. Plus, why not get what you ordered, as opposed to settling for something else?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
[quote author=leofaye link=topic=70891.msg1244397#msg1244397 date=1172858921]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey Leo... I'm not saying what other people want... I'm saying what "I" want. The bose sucks, the leather is only on the sides and I don't want it... the alarm is nice I guess. Still not feeling the value of a few extra grand (for "me" - I can only tell you what I value... I don't make decisions on what other people value :) )

EDIT: And keep in mind that for me... the Speed3 was my 'budget' car. I sold my toy car (EVO) to buy this one. When selling my dream car to save some money... I was paying close attention to value per dollar. When you go for the GT... the value per dollar ratio drops dramatically. You are getting a few 'nice to haves' for a lot of money. A base-model Sport is in my self-created "budget" price range for a car. A fully-loaded GT starts to get a bit close to the "expensive" range. I almost bought a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon for a little more than that... and my EVO only cost me a bit more than that. For me... it was either a Speed3 Sport... or I'd look for another car (maybe a regular 3 or a Honda).

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not intending for this to be a GT vs Sport debate. :D

I guess the question should be rephrased....are the semi-leather seat, theft deterrent system, bose audio, auto on-off wipers/headlights, levelling HID worth the extra $2509? ;)

I've got the levelling HIDs & TPMS on my '04 Mz3, and I know that package was worth the $700 I spent on it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
[quote author=sok07 link=topic=70891.msg1244419#msg1244419 date=1172859556]

I guess the question should be rephrased....are the semi-leather seat, theft deterrent system, bose audio, auto on-off wipers/headlights, levelling HID worth the extra $2509? ;)

I've got the levelling HIDs & TPMS on my '04 Mz3, and I know that package was worth the $700 I spent on it.

[/quote]

The Bose stereo is a POS, you will go thru immense heartache trying to replace it when you realize it is a total POS.

Auto wipers and headlights are for the incredibly lazy and do not add a lot of value to the car.

The theft "deterrent" system is bogus, simply because if a car thief WANTS your car they are gonna GET your car. I have owned 15 vehicles, none of them with an alarm or antitheft. I have Lojack on mine, simply because I want it back after someone steals it.

So that brings us to the last couple of things: Are the Semi-leather seats and HID's worth the price difference? HELLS NO.

The ONLY reason to get a GT is MAYBE to increase the value of the car when you trade it in...but don't do it if you want to have a better driving experience. Take the 2500 bucks, spend 700 on the HID's, then get a really nice set of tires and lowering springs. Your driving experience will be greatly enhanced by performance parts, not a sucky stereo and marginal "extras."

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
[quote author=Speed3me link=topic=70891.msg1244415#msg1244415 date=1172859434]
[quote author=leofaye link=topic=70891.msg1244397#msg1244397 date=1172858921]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey Leo... I'm not saying what other people want... I'm saying what "I" want. The bose sucks, the leather is only on the sides and I don't want it... the alarm is nice I guess. Still not feeling the value of a few extra grand (for "me" - I can only tell you what I value... I don't make decisions on what other people value :) )
EDIT: And keep in mind that for me... the Speed3 was my 'budget' car. I sold my toy car (EVO) to buy this one. When selling my dream car to save some money... I was paying close attention to value per dollar. When you go for the GT... the value per dollar ratio drops dramatically. You are getting a few 'nice to haves' for a lot of money. A base-model Sport is in my self-created "budget" price range for a car. A fully-loaded GT starts to get a bit close to the "expensive" range. I almost bought a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon for a little more than that... and my EVO only cost me a bit more than that. For me... it was either a Speed3 Sport... or I'd look for another car (maybe a regular 3 or a Honda).
[/quote]

oh no no no... I knew that.. Everybody's got a budget one way or the another and I didn't mean any personal attacks (and I know you didn't take it that way).
At the same time, you don't have to get a fully-loaded GT, you can get the base gt for 24,550 which isn't a bad deal, from MY point of view.
You still get all the performance with the 22,xxx sport...

[/quote]

No-Yes.
They are not if you look at it that way. But are you willing to strip cables and mod your car from day 1 to get to the GT level? Personally, no.
Are you willing to wait 2 months to get your 'own' car? Personally, I would.
Time is money, modding takes time and not everything you do can get you to the GT level (seats e.g.) Your patience will make getting the GT worth every penny.
I'd wait and spend the extra 2509.
Then again, that's my opinion. Can you afford the extra 2509 cash?

[quote author=Greykiller2005 link=topic=70891.msg1244615#msg1244615 date=1172863439]

[/quote]

The Bose stereo is a POS, you will go thru immense heartache trying to replace it when you realize it is a total POS.
Auto wipers and headlights are for the incredibly lazy and do not add a lot of value to the car.
The theft "deterrent" system is bogus, simply because if a car thief WANTS your car they are gonna GET your car. I have owned 15 vehicles, none of them with an alarm or antitheft. I have Lojack on mine, simply because I want it back after someone steals it.
So that brings us to the last couple of things: Are the Semi-leather seats and HID's worth the price difference? HELLS NO.
The ONLY reason to get a GT is MAYBE to increase the value of the car when you trade it in...but don't do it if you want to have a better driving experience. Take the 2500 bucks, spend 700 on the HID's, then get a really nice set of tires and lowering springs. Your driving experience will be greatly enhanced by performance parts, not a sucky stereo and marginal "extras."
[/quote]

Well that depends on what you define driving experience. Personally it gets on my f*** nerves having to adjust the wipers speed every 10 seconds because it rains more, because I go under a bridge, I stop at the light so the automatic thing REALLY does a great job and helping me concentrate on the one thing I should be paying attention the most: DRIVING
Same goes for the HIDs: they help me see the road better.

I can see where performance parts enhances the spirited driving experience, but I sure hope we don't drive that way everytime we pull of our driveways.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The HIDs and LED tail lights are pretty pimp. I for one like the part leather seats and the auto sensing wipers are a big plus because it rains so sporadically here and turning the wipers on and off constantly gets old really fast.

For ME, it was worth it getting the GT. The bose system is "good enough" for me since I'm not into pounding the crap out of my stereo.

I'd say get color you want with the options you want. I grossly overpaid...GROSSLY. I should have waited but oh well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh and just throwing this to let you guys munch on it....

Sport option = dealership profits ~$450 from invoice ($21,463) to negotiated sales price ($21,915).
GT option = dealership profits ~$1330 from invoice ($22,999) to sales price ($24,328).

From a daily driver standpoint, I can live w/o the luxuries of the auto on/off lights and wipers. Leather seats are nice, but they aren't full leather so I can't see paying more than $500 for it alone. HID lights aren't too hard to get w/ kits ranging from $300-400. LED tails are are about $400 from forum sponsors. Honestly, the only reason I am upgrading from the Mazda3 to the speed3 is for the performance, and not for the luxuries of the GT trim....a car that will fill my need for power for a good 5years, while I arrange a downpayment for a new house. I'm taking care of the new car purchase before the new home because money is easy to come by pre-new home ownership. ;)

I can afford both trims, and I have the money in hand and could drive the GT (in 2 months) or sport (today) off the lot w/o financing. IMO the deal that was penned for the sport is pretty good from what I've seen. That is gauged from what fellow speed3'rs on the forum have paid and also from edmunds TMV. The deal places it below splan pricing (invoice * 3%) for the speed3, estimated @ $22,106. I takes me about 5 weeks of work to save $2500 difference (paid biweekly w/ a steady $1k in savings every paycheck).

As most of the votes show, I'm leaning towards the GT..but that's just for the fact that it is 'ordered from the factory and on a more recent build date'. Luxuries aren't really that important, I paid extra for it so I guess I'll take it. The only thing that pulls me back to the sport is the deal.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I voted to get the Sport... With what you're saving from the GT you could get a nice set of rims/tires, HID's, tint and CAI if thats what you're in to.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I own a sport. The partial leather seats didn't interest me, nor did the auto wipers. The LED tail lights are more of a novelty. The HID's are really nice and I wish I had those however I can still live with the lights that I have on my car. Also remember the trip computer can be unlocked to work for the Sport.

The GT and Sport drive the same but get the car you want. Your going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
2 months is a lot of driving fun in one of these... :D bI was in the same position, I opted for the sport with a 13k trade in and cash on the rest because I COULDN"T WAIT!!! With the difference, I have a Clifford Matrrix alarm (remote start, paging, turbo timer, etc.), Bel RX75 Pro Plus remote Radar/Laser detection with front & rear laser diffusers, double din touch screen DVD player/Nav system with hands free bluetooth phone integration, iPod control & display (including iPod video playback), Mazdaspeed CAI, and soon Mazdaspeed CBE and probably Mazdaspeed forges wheels. Now granted, that takes into consideration that I would have gotten a GT with Navagation. The HID's I will eventually add, but I will wait until I finish the rest. I did opt fot the Lojack and teflon paint and interior sealant from the dealer. In the mean time, I would have just gotten the GT had I ordered when I got my sport and I would be trying to convince myself that I was happy with the factory Nav and stereo and probably would have ended up yanking them and gotten aftermarket anyways. Just my 2 cents, and had there been a GT (silver or blue) on the lot, I would have driven off in it with or without the nav and been just as happy. As it happened, there wasn't a dealer within a 100 miles that had one in stock that wasn't spoken for.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts