• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pontiac Pursuit

Here's a pic of the Cobalt, for comparison.

More Pursuit pics...

GM Canada unveiled the Pursuit today at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto. Personally I think it looks very nice, looks a lot better than the Cobalt sedan, front end looks much better, more aggressive/sporty...

·
Registered
273 Posts
what's sad is they will be competing with the 3
but the 3 will be victorius if the consumers know whats good for them:)

btw do they both have the same exact headlights??
that means they will be cheap prolly
isnt there a 2 door version also?

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW!! I mean JUST WOW!!!! Hey, now THOSE are bad-azz rides... wait... I think that was the crack talking.
At least I know that if I ever want spam on wonderbread I can count on GM. Most generic car of the year award goes to...?
An aside: I thank Odin and whaever other gods that may be that I bought my '04 EuroSVTfocus when I did, cause Ford is right there waiting to compete with its own crappy focus update.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i think mazda is the only car i would buy right now
everything else is butt ugly
honda's are all over the place and look like toyota's now
toyota's are all top heavy and jacked up like a rally car
nissan gave all of its cars a big tooth up front
mitsubishi sucks reliablity wise
chevy made all their cars uglier
ford just doesnt appeal to me even though they do own some of mazda
i dunno you have to spend a shit load of money to get a good looking car lately

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
get a Subbie!

Oh wait... they're ugly too...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

IMO, the car looks like it had a bad nose job, with squared off nostrils :)

Overall it looks OK, but the Mazda3 is still miles ahead in terms of style.

Anyone seen any rear pics of the Pursuit?

·
Registered
773 Posts
The front reminds me of a Hyundai wagon. And that's not necessarily a put-down, but it seems to me that GM should try and move upmarket, not compete with the Korean manufacturer (Hyundai owns Kia and Daewoo is owned by GM) on styling. See, it doesn't really matter how nice you make the interior, most people don't see that. Most people only see the exterior, and making a car boring on the outside makes most people think you're boring inside and outside (sorry boys and girls, but America and most of the Western World are very superficial.) GM needs to fire whoever designed that car, and pay more attention to the person who designed the Pontiac Solstice. I love that car. Sure, it's GM, but if they make it reasonably reliable and not too expensive it will do quite well, even against the much-loved Miata and the "drive it like you stole it" Honda S2000. And the supercharged engine to come later will make it a potent little import-fighter, assuming quality controls are kept high. And that's what it comes down to--no matter how nice a GM car is from the outside and when it's driven off the dealer's lot, they have issues. Honda, Toyota and Mazda keep buyer loyalty because they offer quality. Sure, sweetheart deals will keep car sales moving, but the reason Accords and Camrys sell so very well is there's not an aftertaste. There's nothing sour in 4 or 5 years that makes a GM car buyer regret their purchase and decide against buying another GM product. Ford has improved its reliability somewhat, why can't GM do something similar? Be honest, how many of us cross-shopped the Mz3 with a GM product? Until GM learns to build a solid vehicle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (apparently newer Cadillacs are almost average in reliability), they will never acquire the legions of customers that have switched to imports.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I thought they just owned a good percentage of it. Maybe they control it the same way Ford controls Mazda (33.4 percent is just enough to run a company when it needs a two-thirds majority to get anything done)? Well shoot, then no wonder they look the same. Damn, GM really needs to pay somebody some real money to design some new cars. Ok, I'm officially stating that I'm available for hire, should some GM manager come across this thread, I'll work for hmm, 75,000 a year, with 2 percent raises every year as long as I do a good job. Yeah, ok, 65000, and I want a Corvette or Cadillac CTS-V. Why is it the only 2 cars from GM I'd want are 40k to start? Anyway, back to the thread topic, I think GM should get rid of the Saturn cars and make all Pontiacs that aren't sports cars Saturns, including those nice plastic body pieces. Then, GM wouldn't have to worry about crappy paint jobs like the one noticed by NGNStrt, because the plastic comes prepainted. And the Aztec can pretty much die. Hell, it will save GM some time and some money since they like to stick lots of plastic cladding on everything anyway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
wow, crap, how does GM do it? They need to stick with the vette and trucks, everything else is pretty much crap. The Impala SS has some backing to it, but thats about it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anarkraft said:
wow, crap, how does GM do it? They need to stick with the vette and trucks, everything else is pretty much crap. The Impala SS has some backing to it, but thats about it.
the impala ss is a poor excuse for a car
it makes the same power supercharged as the n/a accord v6 does

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Which one looks better? The Pursuit. But both are ugly, IMO. The front grill just isn't attractive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SBTanMan said:
GM needs to fire whoever designed that car, and pay more attention to the person who designed the Pontiac Solstice. I love that car. Sure, it's GM, but if they make it reasonably reliable and not too expensive it will do quite well, even against the much-loved Miata and the "drive it like you stole it" Honda S2000. And the supercharged engine to come later will make it a potent little import-fighter, assuming quality controls are kept high.
The ecotec that'll be going in the Solstice is one of the best 4 cylinder engines on the market, the Solstice was engineered to have up to 300hp, it'll do just fine versus the competition.

SBTanMan said:
And that's what it comes down to--no matter how nice a GM car is from the outside and when it's driven off the dealer's lot, they have issues.
Really like what, can you be specific, seems like you're generalizing... GM's brands (including Chevrolet) are above average in initial and long term quality, the same cannot be said for Ford and Mazda which are below the industry average in both those areas. See below....

If you look at the ranking (above) by make — by nameplate — as opposed to by corporation, Toyota is actually now in ninth place. Buick, and Cadillac are ahead of Toyota and Chevrolet isn't far behind, note where Mazda and Ford are though, what was that about issues again??

The reality is that GM has closed the quality gap but the lag in customer perception is still huge. The average uninformed car person such as yourself, still believes that the Japanese cars' quality and reliability is head-and-shoulders above General Motors, and it simply is no longer the case. THAT is GM's biggest problem.

SBTanMan said:
Honda, Toyota and Mazda keep buyer loyalty because they offer quality.
Or it could just be that the perception of those makes is so much better than anything GM makes which isn't the case any longer...

SBTanMan said:
Sure, sweetheart deals will keep car sales moving, but the reason Accords and Camrys sell so very well is there's not an aftertaste. There's nothing sour in 4 or 5 years that makes a GM car buyer regret their purchase and decide against buying another GM product. Ford has improved its reliability somewhat, why can't GM do something similar?
You've got it backwards, GM's the one with the recognized quality improvement whereas Ford's has nose-dived, where do you get your information from?

SBTanMan said:
Be honest, how many of us cross-shopped the Mz3 with a GM product? Until GM learns to build a solid vehicle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (apparently newer Cadillacs are almost average in reliability), they will never acquire the legions of customers that have switched to imports.
Wow more mis-information, what a surprise, newer Cadillacs almost average in reliability?? You might want to reconsider that statement given what I've shown you.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
This is JD Powers, meaning useless.

Talk about CD+CR, then I'll want to hear more.

In the small car class, tell me what does GM offer that can compete today with the 3? The twins. Case closed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts