Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed my ipaq 2210 and belkin bluetooh. I hardwired the power for both of them, spicing in to the cig lighter wires. I'm using the TomTom mount for the pocketpc, and the bluetooth gps is just velcrod to the top of the rear-view mirror (it gets the same reception there as it does sitting on the dash, I tested a good deal first). I'll probably get an external antenna on it, but for now, works fine.

here's pics

The TomTom mount is held in place by the gooseneck suction cup thing, it attaches to the passenger side of the center console. I used the plastic plate that's included with the kit, attached with the double-sided mounting tape, and then the suction cup from the gooseneck attaches to that. I really didn't want to use screws, and I wanted to keep my ppc a little more out of view. I ran the power cable in through the ashtray.

The power for the gps runs down the drivers side front pillar, under the dash to the back of the cig lighter.

G

·
The power for the gps runs down the drivers side front pillar, under the dash to the back of the cig lighter.
lucky you!!!

We in Australia have curtain airbags in our front pillars... :roll: :roll:

So we can't do anything with them!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually, even with the curtain airbags I think you could do it. I ran it along the top of the windshield, then where the plastic on the front pillar meets the headliner, I ran it around the pillar and down in the rubber gasket that runs down the edge of the door. I don't think it will interfere with an airbag at all. If you're interested, I'll take pic's of where I ran the cable, but I think you can probably understand from this description.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Be careful!

I have a similar setup in my 3 (iPaq mounted right above radio with holder attached to center air vent and gps reciever mouned right in front of it on the dash).

The heat will kill your battery in the iPaq!

my internal battery started swelling up and left a permanent mark on my screen and flexed out the plastic casing. Damn battery doesnt even work anymore...won't hold a charge.

Just a warning to who ever has a PocketPC/GPS setup in their car.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah, it is not good to leave in your car. If the heat doesn't get it then some guy with a crowbar and a need for a Pocket PC might make it disappear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.semsons.com/tomtomcarkit.html

there's where you can get the Tomtom mount. There is also a Seidio mount, that includes and amplified speaker. I tried it first, but was not impressed, and I could hear my ipaq just fine anyway, so returned it for the tomtom. The tomtom seemed to be of much better quality all around. I like it.

Good point in the above post - keep your ipaq and gps out of the sun when not in use. That's part of the reason i mounted mine low, also to keep out of view. Still, I take it out when not in use. the gps is also easy to remove, I only put it up there when I'm using it, otherwise, it stays in the glovebox.

also, if anyone is interested in purchasing a Belkin bluetooth gps and Routis 2004 software for your pocket pc or laptop, I still have 2 available. I bought 8 of them when they were on sale, and have been selling them on ebay, but I still have a couple left. $185 plus $14 shipping. That should probably go in the buy-sell section, but I suppose it's relevant here too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Im begging my dad for an iPaq that will have GPS. He is a project manager at HP so he can get his hands on them for free...just takes a little work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cut off the cig-lighter end of the 12v charger cable for the gps, and the tom-tom mount wires were just bare wires. I took apart the center console to get to the back of the cig lighter, (it all pops out, no screws, start at the armrest and work your way forward). then I got little inline wire-crimp things from local auto store/walmart/radio shack, and crimped my gps power cable and tomtom mount into the wires that go to the cig lighter.

·
Registered
604 Posts
sammyafrikan said:
I cut off the cig-lighter end of the 12v charger cable for the gps, and the tom-tom mount wires were just bare wires. I took apart the center console to get to the back of the cig lighter, (it all pops out, no screws, start at the armrest and work your way forward). then I got little inline wire-crimp things from local auto store/walmart/radio shack, and crimped my gps power cable and tomtom mount into the wires that go to the cig lighter.
So does your cig lighter still work? I spliced off of the same wires when I installed my neons and put an inline fuse and then hooked the lighter back up and put another wire in to run the power to the distribution block. That way if my neons aren't working I can try to make the lighter work, if it doesn't then the fuse is blown. Sorry if that makes no sense, I'll try to explain it better later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.