Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was leaving my house yesterday and i notice that my red air bag light on the dash stayed on. It stayed for a couple of hours as i was driving around town going to different stops. Once i was done with that i left the car parked and now it hasn't stayed on. With that said, i know that the manual says if the light stays on bring the car in immediately, but since it has gone off again now should i still bring it in? Do they have diagnostic tools that will be able to see that their had been some kind of error earlier? Air bag problems probably don't fix themselves.

any help would be welcomed.

thank you,
motherfresh

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are referring to the passenger airbag then it may have been off because of you had a certain weight on the seat. I believe the airbag will be off for anything greater than a few pounds and less than 50 or so pounds. This is a safety feature in case small children are in the front seat.

If it isn't this light then I am not sure. I would say your fine, if it comes back maybe have it looked at.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The red airbag light on the instrument panel comes on when you first start the car and stays on for a few seconds. (This applies to any car) It stays illuminated while the system is checked and then turns off to indicate normal operation. If the light stays on, that means there has been a fault in the system and you need to have it checked out. It doesn't mean your car is unsafe to drive but the airbags may not deploy properly, or at all.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
[quote author=pivo84 link=topic=128330.msg2744271#msg2744271 date=1226656518]
If you are referring to the passenger airbag then it may have been off because of you had a certain weight on the seat. I believe the airbag will be off for anything greater than a few pounds and less than 50 or so pounds. This is a safety feature in case small children are in the front seat.
[/quote]

in regards to this, did you have anything on the pass seat at all? This has happened to me when i had my laptop sitting there once. if not then i would bring it in and see what they say

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had my air bag light stay on for a week or so. I took it in and they replaced the SRS module in the center console.

The light comes on as mentioned when the car is first started. The light will then go off and stay off if properly working. If the light then stays on there is a fault in the system.

If it stays on take it in. There will be a "B" code recorded on the ECU but a OBDII reader will not see it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This happened to my Acura Integra, the SRS module failed. Replaced it, reprogrammed the car (at an Acura dealer) problem solved. This should be covered under your current warranty so take it in and have it checked out...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
the right airbag light comes on if it's less than 100pds, that bitch light! my ex wieghted around 100pds, and when she sits normally, feet down, that subtracts from her overall weight! that light pissed me off!! i like to drive fast, and she wouldn't let me unless her airbag was working! i hate that light!!! i wonder if there's a trick to turn it off... i know in my scion there was a trick to turn off seatbelt beeping sound, you'd have to hold odo button, turn ignition key, click seatbelt for 10 sec.... something along the lines....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=128330.msg2754918#msg2754918 date=1227099279]
the right airbag light comes on if it's less than 100pds, that bitch light! my ex wieghted around 100pds, and when she sits normally, feet down, that subtracts from her overall weight! that light pissed me off!! i like to drive fast, and she wouldn't let me unless her airbag was working! i hate that light!!! i wonder if there's a trick to turn it off... i know in my scion there was a trick to turn off seatbelt beeping sound, you'd have to hold odo button, turn ignition key, click seatbelt for 10 sec.... something along the lines....
[/quote]

the one on the cluster (red) not the orange one by the cig lighter

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=SEAN IKE link=topic=128330.msg2876889#msg2876889 date=1232465415]
This just happened to me too. The red light on the cluster is on, and the orange one by the cigarette lighter. How much does this cost to get replaced?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's off now. :)
[/quote]

if its gone on once it will probably come back on again. it doesn't cost anything at the dealership (still under warranty)... for me it ended up being a filthy connector on my passenger seat that connected into the airbag system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had my cluster airbag/pre-tensioner warning light as well as my passanger airbag light (one by the cigarette light) come on and stay on (with and without a passanger greater than 100lbs). I took a look under the seat for any loose wires, bad connections etc and couldn't see anything.

Going to take another good look under the seats, but I'll definitely be phoning the dealership tomorrow and post a follow-up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
UPDATE: Took the car to the stealership first thing this morning and they just called me. The issue is the harness clip that connects to the front passenger weight sensor. They ordered a new one which won't be in until next week :x.

I also mentioned the clunking sound coming from my front/rear suspension components (thread) and I guess they adjusted the #4 motor mount which they claim "helped stop the noise"... I'll have to see if it helped at all in the front -- if not, it'll be nice here this weekend so I'll inspect the front as well as the rear on my own.

EDIT Feb. 06/2009: Turns out it was the passanger weight sensor, not the connector. And the adjustment on MM#4 didn't do shit for my clunks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The air bag warning light illuminating while driving on the mazda 3 is a fault which has been the subject of a recall in the USA. The housing of the air bag sensor is subject to cracking, allowing water in which causes the air bag light to illuminate and the front driver and passenger air bags to fail in the event of an accident.
I have had the same trouble in my Australian bought Mazda 3 sp23 2004 model. I have complained to Mazda about it for ages (including during the warranty period) and they deny anything is wrong and suggest pulling out the dash to see what the problem is...cost = mega bucks.
I suggest all Mazda drivers with this trouble first complain to their dealer (who will do nothing) and then submit a vehicle fault to
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/vehicle/recalls/index.aspx
this is the only way Mazda will be forced to recall the vehicles in Australia and fix them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts