Mazda3 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
As I speculated above, you have now received confirmation of my thoughts, ie you have a now garbage 2.3. If you lack the tools, time, and money to do an engine swap yourself you should probably sell the car at a loss and move on, because most mechanics won't want to do something seen as unconventional, plus the labor cost would exceed the value of the car. If however, you want to take up the challenge of the swap, I can tell you that it is a very satisfying project, doesn't cost a fortune, and is a good excuse to acquire useful new tools and knowledge. Further, if you do the swap, you will learn so much in the process that you will be able to tackle almost any future mechanical problem that your car has.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I should add to my earlier post about the engine swap. Since you have a 2004, there is one additional step compared to the post 2005 ones that I have done. On the early models there is a different timing cog on the intake camshaft compared to the later 2.3's and 2.5's. This means that you will have to either swap over your camshaft as well, or at least the timing cog. I have not done this so maybe somebody will chime in with advise on that step. I know it is documented in some of the swap threads, although I have never seen a video showing how to do it specifically.

Also, speaking of timing, this is by far the most critical aspect of the swap, because these are interference engines and the camshaft is not keyed. Friction is the only thing keeping everything in time. Fortunately the timing tools are readily available for about $25, and the process couldn't be much simpler as long as you follow the instructions to the letter. Youtube videos are a great source for guidance on this. If you follow the steps explicitly it is very difficult to mess it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2004 mazda 3s 2.3l 4dr hatchback that I recently purchased. It has roughly 155,000 miles on it. Right after I got the car I did a high mileage oil change, changed the air filter, replaced the battery, did a complete fuel system cleaning, and added a fuel tank additive. When I did the oil change I added a bottle of Lucas high mileage oil stabilizer to it as well. On the way to work this morning it starts knocking extremely bad. I work at Jiffy Lube so I pulled it into one of the bays to check things out. There was only 1/2 a quart of oil in the car. There are no leaks. I added 4 quarts of oil to it.

Please help me understand where the oil went and what is going on with my car.
Check the PCV Valve. It is supposed to be a one way check valve. If it isn’t it could be pulling oil directly into the intake. However, 155k on an MZR? It’s time to replace some major parts on it anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just remember that you have not confirmed anything, yet which excludes a damaged engine.
I am sorry that at times forums and some member can scare the hell out of people with the worst scenarios before they get "ALL" the facts first! :oops:
I mean -- several posts, including mine, included a few different possibilities. It's not against the rules to bring up the possibility that a new engine may be necessary. Given the description, it's often the correct conclusion, as it was in this case.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I read your response as well...
;)

At least you suggested to look at possible things that may have caused the problem rather than conclude or a better word GUESSED the answer!

There is no prize on this forum for guessing a resolution to a problem. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read your response as well...
;)

At least you suggested to look at possible things that may have caused the problem rather than conclude or a better word GUESSED the answer!

There is no prize on this forum for guessing a resolution to a problem. :rolleyes:
It's called INFERENCE. If we aren't allowed to use it here, what's the point of the forum?

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's called INFERENCE. If we aren't allowed to use it here, what's the point of the forum?
Of course you are correct. Any advice given on a car forum about mechanical issues is based on the responder's best hunch based on the symptoms described, taking into account the history given by the OP. In this case a car that was run without oil and now with a knock. Really not hard to arrive at a conclusion that it is PROBABLY a dead engine. From our keyboards we have no way to prove this, but the OP did by getting it looked at in person as they should have. An educated assumption based on experience and facts presented is far more than a guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Of course you are correct. Any advice given on a car forum about mechanical issues is based on the responder's best hunch based on the symptoms described, taking into account the history given by the OP. In this case a car that was run without oil and now with a knock. Really not hard to arrive at a conclusion that it is PROBABLY a dead engine. From our keyboards we have no way to prove this, but the OP did by getting it looked at in person as they should have. An educated assumption based on experience and facts presented is far more than a guess.
Exactly -- pretty easy to arrive at that very logical conclusion, but you seem to go out of your way to scold people for "scaring" OPs when the obvious is stated. Is it a language barrier, or are you just wanting to be "correct" regardless of the issue? I'm genuinely curious.

If we're just not communicating well, that's one thing. If you're just jumping in to scold people for giving good advice (that ends up being dead-on accurate), that's another.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Exactly -- pretty easy to arrive at that very logical conclusion, but you seem to go out of your way to scold people for "scaring" OPs when the obvious is stated. Is it a language barrier, or are you just wanting to be "correct" regardless of the issue? I'm genuinely curious.

If we're just not communicating well, that's one thing. If you're just jumping in to scold people for giving good advice (that ends up being dead-on accurate), that's another.
I’m assuming you’re referring to Grendel and not me. I don’t scold people. I give the best assessments I can. Grendel likes to attack people that give realistic assessments when he prefers Pollyanna feel good replies, no matter how implausible they are. Then when he is shown to have been wrong he claims stuff like “there’s no prize for guessing” rather than admit he was wrong to begin with.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.