Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea i really need help... i think my rotors are stuck i tried everything to get them off. is there anyone that can give me a procedure? or how to get them unstuck or anyone that had a simular problem and can tell me how they fixed it?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=Darkfrosty7 link=topic=137167.msg2956467#msg2956467 date=1235429381]
yea i really need help... i think my rotors are stuck i tried everything to get them off. is there anyone that can give me a procedure? or how to get them unstuck or anyone that had a simular problem and can tell me how they fixed it?
[/quote]

Fronts or rears ???

I had to bust mine off using a Mallet from behind.

My rears were a pain, they are rusted in place, you might have to give it a few good whacks from behind and tap the front all around, mine took me 10 minutes each.

Try using a rubber Mallet first, if that does not work, use a lightweight hammer or Steel Mallet, just dont go crazy, turn the rotor as you hit it, firm but not hard.

I suggest you grind off the rist once rotor is off, use a wire wheel or a drill attachment, I also grinded off the rust on the insides of my wheels, this makes for a smooth alignment upon install of new rotors.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... i think i might've hit it too hard... lol i torched it to heat up the metal then lubed it up and took a sledge hammer to it... still didn't work =\ 3.5 hours to get one off. just with pure force.

um... after i put everything back... my wheels wobble a little. is there something i have to be worried about?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=Darkfrosty7 link=topic=137167.msg2956889#msg2956889 date=1235439628]
thanks... i think i might've hit it too hard... lol i torched it to heat up the metal then lubed it up and took a sledge hammer to it... still didn't work =\ 3.5 hours to get one off. just with pure force.

um... after i put everything back... my wheels wobble a little. is there something i have to be worried about?
[/quote]

Wow that's insane, I hope you did not do any damage.

Wheel wobble cant be good, how bad are we talking, can you see it when it spins ???

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah not really, about half an inch wobble. do you think it might be my barings? wheel barings

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bring the car in... you definitely screwed something up. btw, a clue that something is not right is when you have to use a sledgehammer on your car - only time a sledgehammer should be used is for a demolition derby!

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=Darkfrosty7 link=topic=137167.msg2956467#msg2956467 date=1235429381]
[/quote]

get a plastic mallet. no need to hit from the back, hit as hard as you can safely on the friction part of the rotor, hit on the top then bottom.....keep doing that till it pops off or moves.

[quote author=Darkfrosty7 link=topic=137167.msg2957581#msg2957581 date=1235456833]
nah not really, about half an inch wobble. do you think it might be my barings? wheel barings
[/quote]

in the automotive world we measure "wobbles" or runout in fractions of an inch........1/2 inch is HUGE.

one thing i noticed on my car when i first removed the wheels was the massive amount of corrosion on the wheel hub and rotor surface. my guess is they used a weird type of aluminum for the wheels and it has a reaction with the steel hub/rotor. i suggest looking at the exact part where the hub and rotor meet. if you have gunky whitish looking stuff chip it off with a screwdriver and hammer.

i say this because i had another mechanic buddy call me one day asking if there was anything other than lug nuts needed to remove mazda3 wheels. i said no, he put down the phone and beat the shit out of the back side of the wheel with a 5lb plastic mallet and it poped off. and i had the EXACT same issue with my car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, lol and yea i did have to use a sledge hammer cause my rubber mallet wasn't working. i finally got it out and it was hard to get off =\ and i brought it into the shop today. and they said that my wheel barings are gone =\ could it have been cause i beat the crap out of it? and now its going to cost me over 800 to get both sides barings fixed =\ wow this is complete bs, i've spent almost 6000 on my car already and now this... really... i think i have the worst luck =*(.

·
Registered
57 Posts
honestly its more likely that you destroyed them while heating them up. sledging on them hard will do it too. Or it could have just been their time. But if went from no problem to wobble and squeal it was definately you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well.. my car is at 84000 kms. i doubt it was its time to go. maybe its the sledge hammer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts