Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now, I have a winning blue mazda3 s-4door loaded besides leather and nav. reserved for me at my dealership. At first I wanted the 5 door, but a few of my friends said the sedan looks better. I just talked to some more people and they say that I should definitely get the hatch. I know someones gonna say "Don't listen to your friends, decide what you want personally." Well, the reason I asked my friends was because I like both and I can't decide on what I really want. So can someone please sway my decision to one side or the other???

·
Registered
102 Posts
well, do you have a need for the hatch? Do you like having you trunk as part of your car or would you prefer to have a seperate trunk? I have a station wagon now and i miss having a seperate trunk so I am gonna get the sedan. Alot of people have made comments about the different nose on the hatch do you like one more than the other? How is the cost difference for you and does it make a difference as far as insurance? Dont know your financial status so this may make a difference. Also do they have a hatch on the lot you could take or would you have to wait for one...time is sometimes a problem if you need the car. And if all else fails you could close your eyes and point. :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm having a hard time choosing myself. I think I'm going to lean toward the hatchback though. There is a bit more utility with it. The weight difference is marginal and the hatch is a little shorter, which I like.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
gambitl7 said:
Get the 5-door
I think it is much more sporty.
If you want a 4-door get the mazda6.
The mazda3 is not a good looking 4-door.
There are many more 4-doors out there that look 100% better.
for the price and quailty of car... can you name on specifically.

Remember the 318i from BMW? that's what the back end looks like in regards to dimension but not design, but i think they figured out a great way to make the back end look sexy.

(don't mean to be a smart ass, just trying to think of one myself)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm planning on buying a 4-dr myself so, my comment is bias. IMO, the 4-dr looks classy and sexy when compared to the hatch. If your planning on modding in the future -body kit, lowering, etc.- the kits -especially the kenstyle- just look much better on the sedan.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well I'm not partial but I would say the 5 door. Here are my own reasons, in order.

1. Sedans are WAY too common. It seems that 80% of ther vehicles on the road are either a sedan or an SUV.

2. Utility. The amount of stuff you can fit into a 5 door compared to a sedan is staggering. Trunks aren't condusive to moving stuff around.

3. Looks, I think the 5 door looks better, more agressive and sporty.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm from the rarer school of thought I guess.

I think the hatchback makes it look MORE common, I mean, there are hatchbacks EVERYWHERE around here it seems. While there are definately more Sedan cars than hatch, the 3 is a unique enough looking Sedan that I feel like I stand out (especially in Lava Orange).

The hatch definately has more hauling space and such, but thats not an issue for me. With the fold down seats I can easily fit a snowboard in the trunk and still have room for 3 adults. The trunk, despite its outside appearance, is suprisingly large.

The hatch just seems rather... "soccer-mom"ish to me and not sporty... but thats just MY opionion, I don't mean it as a knock to hatch lovers, there are plenty around here and I'd never insult them... not directly anyway :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
FatMorbo said:
I'm from the rarer school of thought I guess.

I think the hatchback makes it look MORE common, I mean, there are hatchbacks EVERYWHERE around here it seems.
Yes, it is a very rare school of thought... The 3 sedan easily blends in w/ every other car on the road. Being a HB is what makes it unique. Everytime I see a P5 it always turns my head.

FatMorbo said:
The hatch just seems rather... "soccer-mom"ish to me and not sporty...
This is the stereotype that convinces everyone in our country to buy gas guzzling SUVs...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm getting a sedan personally, so i'm a bit partial to that. To me a HB = Noise from the back... you can't tell me that those panels won't losen up and start rattling. That's what turned me off from the HB in the first place. Just my opinion, but maybe something worth thinking about?

·
Registered
100 Posts
odie said:
gambitl7 said:
Get the 5-door

Remember the 318i from BMW? that's what the back end looks like in regards to dimension but not design, but i think they figured out a great way to make the back end look sexy.

***2004 Mitsubishi Galant***
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer
2004 Pontiac Grand Am
2004 Volkswagen Jetta

Some may cost more, but they are nice cars.
The new Galant is nice!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sedan, hands down. Very classy lines, as well as sporty. And it DOES NOT blend into traffic. Like the HB as well, just not my cup o' tea.

Oh, the Galant? Your kidding, right?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
gambitl7 said:
odie said:
gambitl7 said:
Get the 5-door

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer
2004 Pontiac Grand Am
2004 Volkswagen Jetta

The only nice looking one on that list is the Jetta, and the Galant is marginal. The Grand Am...yuck!

Oh, I vote for the MZ3 sedan :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
5-doors make absolutely no sense to me. Why would someone want to drive a shrunken minivan and go as fas as calling it "sporty?" I don't think so.

M

·
0 Posts
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer
2004 Pontiac Grand Am
2004 Volkswagen Jetta

How can you even compare mitsu to mazda's????

I traded in a 2003 lancer for the Mazda Sedan, and the build quality and style of the mazda beat mitsu's hands down!!

You clearly don't know what your talking about if your claiming that mitsu's and all these cars on this list are 100% better looking than the mazda3 Sedan!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have two 5 door cars, a Mazda3s and a PT Cruiser. I would have had a problem with the 4 door because the 11 cubic feet trunk is way too small for my use. A trip to the grocery store almost fills the 17c.f. of the 5 door and the 19c.f of the Cruiser.
I personally like hatchbacks, but I'm older than most everybody here so I have different tastes and needs.

It seems I do have the same taste in cars though, well one of them anyway. :)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.