Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't want to violate any "No street racing" forum rules.....but suffice to say that a new Porsche Turbo owner got surprised to see a MS3 hanging in his rearview mirror up to CENSORED mph!

the dude didn't even have the courtesy to look over once he slowed down to a legal rate of speed. rolled up right next to him and he didnt even turn his head.

hey, no way am I saying the MS3 is as fast.......but it ain't no slug either! :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
so if an 05 911 turbo 2 has more than 440hp, and weighs 3500lbs and the 07 has 480hp and weighs the same.
0-60 less than 4 seconds, 1/4 is ~12seconds.
Something tells me he wasnt trying to leave you behind at all.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, I'm no fool. that Porsche is the shitzngrinz. but trust me, he wasn't lollygagging either. probably shifting at 5 or 6 grand because it still had paper tag plates on the rear. and the orchestra sound coming from those quad pipes was music to my ears. and they also played a note that told me when he put his foot into it.

all I'm saying is that it was pretty cool staying within a dozen car lengths of it while he rocketed to nearly twice the suggested safe speed.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I believe you, the Porsche will no doubt kill you in a race but unless he decides to go balls out, foot-to-the-floor he's not going to put car lengths easily. I could easily see a driver like that underestimating a speed 3. I had an encounter with a late model 528i on one of the many 'closed courses' around here just yesterday. The first time, he took off and I kept up easily. I saw him looking in the rear view mirror at the next light (probably wondering why a little hatchwagon is keeping up). So he went balls out the next time. I will admit I had to work a little harder but I still flew past him only to see the most bewildering look on his face. In my rear view mirror I could see him eying the back of the car trying to see what it is. This car is such a blast, it's not funny.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i've had a run in like that with a 430....not that he "couldn't" get away from me. but without getting too reckless.....i was on his ass.

i'm with zoo (and others will be when they do it as well), not that we are close to the same leage, but the fact that those cars can't just "pull away" from us.....well, it's pretty friggin sweet.

given, i don't have a speed....but a turbo 2.3 non the less

·
Registered
303 Posts
I can't wait to get my car. Considering they pay 3-5x more than we did for their cars, and they dont quite pull away is pretty gradifying.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
i cant wait for mine either- ETA early summer..
i love that we can dust a bmw3, for 10g less.

...i may have to play with some ricers a little too, i love peoples faces when their integra [with ~ 100 extra hp (big wing adds 25, front & rear bumpers add 50 total, and 5x 5hp "jdm" stickers) :lol:] loses to a wagon/hatch :klavergreg:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=72209.msg1272496#msg1272496 date=1174098154]
the dude didn't even have the courtesy to look over once he slowed down to a legal rate of speed. rolled up right next to him and he didnt even turn his head.

[/quote]
I can understand that.
To him, Mazdaspeed 3, WRX, Hyundai, Kia, whatever... they are all the same. Just dots in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=sixblade link=topic=72209.msg1272624#msg1272624 date=1174103474]
I can't wait to get my car. Considering they pay 3-5x more than we did for their cars, and they dont quite pull away is pretty gradifying.
[/quote]
Don't quite pull away?
After 1 lap at Laguna Seca, a 911 turbo would be gone from your view.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hum,
this is all very interesting. I have a 1996 911 Turbo, that has all of two mods on it. The "high output" ECU and "exhust work", the 1996 car stock had only 400hp, on the dyno my shows 525 at the motor..My Speed 3 just pulled 269 to the wheels...The 1996 911 turbo weighed in at the track at 3318lbs, with me in it. It runs 11.5 to 11.8 every time...When it was stock it ran 12.4 - 12.5...I have had the chance to put both side by side, with a friend of mine driving...We took turns and switched off cars. I was in the 911 on the first try...It wasnt even close. Even at half throtle to control wheel spin, I was walking away from him..Then I was in the Speed 3, I got him out of the hole due to driver error, but he went by me, like I was standing still...Point is, that guy wasnt even trying..The New 911 Turbos can be had in trip-tronic (auto) which could explain why you heard it rev high, but it want going any where, you can part throtal the trip-tronic, and it will rev high with out shifting, until closer to red line, especailly when left in sport mode..I love the Speed 3, dont get me wrong, the car is a blast, and mine gets driven 3 to 4 times a week, while my bike or the 911 only comes out on the weekend or really nice days...As for the price, well, I got my 911 3 almost 4 years ago now, at an auction, it was a police recovery. It need a new interior, and a new ECU (the stock one had gotten wet, and didnt work)...oh, and I only paid like $24k for it..New interior, $1100, and the ECU, stock, on ebay, $250...so not to bad on price either....

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
well mine is 6 speed stock no mods and its not cheap close to $220.000 on the road thats Canadian $$$ there is only 6 in Ontario its fast and all but i love the MS3 its so much fun to drive

·
Registered
303 Posts
just tells you, ya don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. These cars with a tune and some intake and exhaust work, may trim that gap a little bit, less the traction of course :p

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi everyone, me again.

just wanted to say once more than I completely realize a Porsche Turbo would kick my ass royally if it really wanted to. and on a track it would be down right embarrassing.

all I'm saying is that the Mazdaspeed3 is like a fish out of water - so to speak. what Porsche driver in their right mind would be hauling ass through highway traffic (light traffic mind you) and give even a second thought to a light blue 5-dr, FWD family hauler. but since I saw him coming up quickly in the rearview mirror, I had time to shift down to 4th and get the revs in the sweet spot.

it was just a kick to "break out" of the normal pattern of traffic that this Porsche driver was dusting off like they were cones on a race course. I managed to stay within truly a few car lengths up to within 15 mph of the published top-speed of the MS3.

hey, I'm sure that the new Porsche Turbo comes within a hair's breath of reaching 200 mph. So under the right circumstances - say the German Autobahn - the MS3 driver would surely know "who's your daddy?"

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=72209.msg1273011#msg1273011 date=1174146837]
I managed to stay within truly a few car lengths up to within 15 mph of the published top-speed of the MS3.[/quote]
Whoa.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=72209.msg1272496#msg1272496 date=1174098154]
don't want to violate any "No street racing" forum rules.....but suffice to say that a new Porsche Turbo owner got surprised to see a MS3 hanging in his rearview mirror up to CENSORED mph!

hey, no way am I saying the MS3 is as fast.......but it ain't no slug either! :p
[/quote]

If you raced a 1989 944 T, then I can see this happening. If you raced a recent 911 T, you would get walked in every possible way. Looks like he wasn't racing.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=72209.msg1273011#msg1273011 date=1174146837]
hi everyone, me again.

just wanted to say once more than I completely realize a Porsche Turbo would kick my ass royally if it really wanted to. and on a track it would be down right embarrassing.

all I'm saying is that the Mazdaspeed3 is like a fish out of water - so to speak. what Porsche driver in their right mind would be hauling ass through highway traffic (light traffic mind you) and give even a second thought to a light blue 5-dr, FWD family hauler. but since I saw him coming up quickly in the rearview mirror, I had time to shift down to 4th and get the revs in the sweet spot.

it was just a kick to "break out" of the normal pattern of traffic that this Porsche driver was dusting off like they were cones on a race course. I managed to stay within truly a few car lengths up to within 15 mph of the published top-speed of the MS3.

hey, I'm sure that the new Porsche Turbo comes within a hair's breath of reaching 200 mph. So under the right circumstances - say the German Autobahn - the MS3 driver would surely know "who's your daddy?"
[/quote]
Hey -are ya sure it was a 911 ? cause if its anything else (Boxster or Cayman), its game on.

Anyway, I hear ya. I have had several people surprised by the MS3. 350z's, STi's, boxster, including a freakin mini.
no surprise that a good driver in a good car can hand with a noob driver in a super car.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts