Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I dipped my wheels with Performix Plastidip. I have a 2012 Skyactiv Mazda 3 with OEM Speed3 wheels. Im not one that likes crazy aftermarket mods. I'm more of a simple guy that likes a unique car with a few modifications. I was a little apprehensive about dipping my wheels because I wanted a clean professional look. After dipping my wheels I am very happy with how they turned out. They look very professional all and the material seems to look very durable.

I used about 2.5 cans of Anthracite Grey and 1 can of glorifier from dipyourcar.com

A friend of mine did his wheels a few weeks ago after helping him I decided to do it myself. He ordered the full kit with the pre-dip solution and dip release. So I just borrowed some of his products. I do recommend taking the wheels off the car if possible. It was so much easier to spray the wheels and get even coverage. If you don't want to buy the pre-dip and dip-release from dip your car you can dress the tires with armor-all and clean the alloy with simple green before hand.

Here is a picture before: IMG_0076.jpg

Here is the first coat: IMG_0086.jpg

This is after a few coats (I did 7 coats total): IMG_0073.jpg

This is the finished product after 2 heavy coats of gloss: IMG_0069.jpg

I'd love to answer any questions if you have any!

-G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks really good with that paint color. Did you have to do anything to keep it off the tires? I did this years ago with regular paint, and tutorials had you stick playing cards between the wheels and the tires to make a little wall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man, if thin plastidip wasn't so damn hard to peel I would've quit after the first coat. That first coat color is awesome. Even after 7 coats it looks great too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts