Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd start a discussion/gallery here so we could stop threadjacking the Headlight Restoration thread.

Anyway this is about Pittman's ALR headlight deoxidizer. Basically it's a one step wipe on liquid that instantly removes headlight oxidation. If you have surface oxidation then it will remove it immediately and make your lights look fantastically better. If you have a small amount of damage or pitting it will still clean up the headlight, but isn't going to remove the damage.

I used the ALR on my '02 Hyundai Elantra, and on my '05 3. I actually bought the ALR for the Hyundai as it's lights were very cloudy. The ALR removed all of the oxidation in seconds, however there's still some rough patches present where I think the UV coating is starting to wear away which it didn't remove. That said the lights still look way better than they did before. I also tried it on the tail lights just to see if it would make a difference. The tails looked perfectly fine before hand, but after wiping them down they regained a substantial amount of sparkle, so it definitely did something.

While I had everything out I figured I'd try on the Mazda as well even though it looked fine. There was a marked difference before and after on both the headlights and tail lights. The pictures really don't do the product justice, but I highly recommend this to everyone before trying to sand your lights as the ALR doesn't damage/remove the UV coating on the light housings.

Anyway here's some pictures.

Elantra Driver's side Before

Elantra Driver's side After

Mz3 Driver's side Before

Mz3 Driver's side After

Elantra passenger side half/half (second cleaning)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Finally, pics. :roll: Your results are similar to mine. The 3 lenses cleaned up surprisingly well, considering that they looked fine to begin with. I guess it shows that oxidation just doesn't happen overnight.

So far, all thumbs-up for the Pittmans.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got play with this again last night, this time on a friend's 2002 Nissan Sentra. Her lights were almost completely frosted over and had no "clear" parts left. Apparently she'd mentioned it the last time she was a the dealership and they told her it was all on the inside of the lights and she would need to have the inside polished to remove it. Dork.....

Anyway I don't have any pictures of her lights but the difference was ridiculous. Her lights also had the peeling outer coat that my Elantra had, but even with that they're so much more clear now the light output went way way up. Even though that peeling coat was already there under the oxidation it's kind of sad because without the oxidation you can see it plain as day and before it was just hidden. Oh well, we were just living in blissful ignorance before they were clean enough to see it. :lol:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
so u just put one drop and wipe off? i might buy this to fix my headlights that i tried doing with the wet sand paper method, plastix, and some wax on it

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=AxelaSpeed link=topic=135635.msg2947201#msg2947201 date=1235059236]
so u just put one drop and wipe off? i might buy this to fix my headlights that i tried doing with the wet sand paper method, plastix, and some wax on it
[/quote]

Yup, just dab on the cloth and rub the housing. There are some good videos on youtube. Bear in mind if you have physical damage it won't do anything..... if it's oxidation you're golden.

·
Registered
113 Posts
icspots, I found their list of products a little confusing... which of them is it that you used? Also, I am currently looking for my spare key and if I cannot find it I am really going to rue the day I disregarded your other thread.

Brad

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=jurgenk link=topic=135635.msg2947594#msg2947594 date=1235066221]
icspots, I found their list of products a little confusing... which of them is it that you used? Also, I am currently looking for my spare key and if I cannot find it I am really going to rue the day I disregarded your other thread.

Brad
[/quote]

It's the ALR. I got the 7cc bottle that's about $30. They have several packages with multiple products, so just make sure you're getting the ALR only unless you want other stuff.

lol at your disregard. That said I hope you find your key. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=135635.msg2947631#msg2947631 date=1235067156]

lol at your disregard. That said I hope you find your key. :)
[/quote]

If I do not find it I may have to take advantage of your upcoming GB offer on spare keys offered through your key making racket.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Very interesting ... My 04 Mazda 3 definitely need a good headlight cleaner.

Any idea how long each bottle would last? For example, about how many headlights you can clean with a single bottle.

Do you need to rub it very hard or just do it gently?

Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did the lights on our minivan and the level in the bottle moved very little. I don't know - maybe 20 cars?

Only a drop of two is required for each lens. You don't need to rub very hard - the stuff just seems to melt the oxidation.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Just bought some. It sure looks like it's too good to be true, but if it works as advertised, my '99 Dakota R/T, and my wife's '03 Accord will both look like new. My Mazda lives in the garage, and leads a very sheltered life! :p

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=135635.msg2948249#msg2948249 date=1235082327]
Just bought some. It sure looks like it's too good to be true, but if it works as advertised, my '99 Dakota R/T, and my wife's '03 Accord will both look like new. My Mazda lives in the garage, and leads a very sheltered life! :p
[/quote]

I was honestly astonished by the results. Now if only the clear coat hadn't been deteriorating they'd look perfect. :(

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
well i sanded mine down i'll have to take pics of mine it doesnt look to bad it just looks hazy at the bottom still, a friend of mine just said put some clear coat on it cuz thats what it needs

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Just got my ALR four days after I bought it, including the weekend. Wow! This stuff is crazy. I used it on my '99 Dodge Dakota R/T that lives outside, has never had any type of head light restoration, and was badly yellowed. I used one drop on a paper towel, and was amazed as the yellow crap just wiped away! :shock: My head lights had no physical damage to them, so they turned out like new...........Stupid cool :p

Darryl

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Can you only buy this online or do auto shops carry it? I've been thinking about how I could restore my headlights some and my fiancee's Aztek might us the whole bottle if the crap isn't actually on the inside like I think it is.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts