Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a little bit of pine tree sap residue on my 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback front seat headrest. Does anyone know how to safely remove it? That's what I get for transporting a Christmas tree inside... :klavergreg:

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
spot shot.

and lots of it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If there's lots of it on the surface, rub it with ice or pack some ice in a ziplock bag and tape it on for ten minutes or so to get it around 0 deg. Then quickly use a butter knife, credit card, etc... to scrape/flake off what you can in little chips and chunks.

If it was hot hot hot when it got on there (not likely, I'm guessing, in winter) then the sap will have been more viscous and will have absorbed more into the fabric. That's gonna require some professional help. You could hit it with some 'GooGone' for a sweeter smelling solution for getting it "out" of the fabric, but I'd personally not put much faith in that stuff.

If it was me, I'd use denatured alcohol (or methyl hydrate, same thing). Get a litre/quart of it at the hardware store for a buck or two and apply liberally. It WILL break up the remaining sap and you can blot it up with repeated applications of a clean paper towel. Don't rub the crap out of it, just apply the methyl hydrate with a sponge or paper towel saturated with it, let it sit for a one-two count, and dab it up with the clean paper towel.

This will get it out, or I'll send you five dollars. Caution though, I haven't put it on my seat fabric, and it may discolour yours, so I'll add the caveat on nearly every bottle of cleaner out there... "test in an inconspicuous area first".

If you use methyl hydrate, it will only smell 'alcohol-ish' for a little bit. The stuff is mega-volatile and will evaporate out of the fabric quickly without leaving a trace. That said, don't be smoking while doing it.

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
i should try the methyl hydrate, I have some on my passenger seat from this summer i never bothered to care for.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=blam link=topic=67141.msg1154489#msg1154489 date=1169064239]
i should try the methyl hydrate, I have some on my passenger seat from this summer i never bothered to care for.
[/quote]

we don't mean the "pine sap" from your "tree"

(quotations can make anything dirty lol)

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
you're right, "quotations" can make "anything" dirty....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts