Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my sirius sat radio kit. It came with a car kit but only a dash mount. I do not want to put any sticky stuff on the dash of my 3. So anybody that has a sirius sat car radio post pics of where they mounted. I am looking for ideas of where to mount. :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response. I got the iv4 my bro got it for me for xmas. I didn't really want that model i wanted the startmate but it was free so i guess i can't complain. He got me a 6 month sub so im stuck with this radio till then

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mazda3s5drslvr link=topic=66761.msg1146019#msg1146019 date=1168614202]
here is the link http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/ser...catParentID=11234&scId=11234&oldParentID=7871

its pretty small same size or a little smaller than the starmate
[/quote]

Just to compare the dimensions are:

InV- 4.5”W x 1.9”H x 0.7”D
Starmate- 5-1/16"W x 1-15/16"H x 1-1/16"D

So bearing in mind fractions vs. decimals they should be roughly the same height. You may be able to just stick it in the same place as cbogey and I did and have it stay. Open up your ashtray door and remove the insert and see if it will sit there without wiggling too much.

EDIT: Oh, and the reason that I couldn't find anything is that you put the wrong model # up. Iv4 vs. InV. :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh sorry bout that ....hehehe I am going to see if it fits the same way on my lunch break. I also want to hook it directly up to my stereo. reception is not all that great. I live in MD and fm transmitters do not work all that great in this area. Too many big cities.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=66761.msg1145986#msg1145986 date=1168613227]
What sirius model did you get?

If you got the starmate then you can do what cbogey88 did (I also did this for a friend of mine). The unit is just wedged in place with the door open. You can easily remove it and hide it in the ashtray, or put it somewhere else when you leave the car.

[/quote]

I like that idea, but would like to modify that area to have the door cover it when it is not in use. I don't have a Sirius unit yet, but it is getting more and more tempting...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I highly recommend getting one. It is great. I have been wantting it for a while and finaly got it. Also their is like 5 of us that have them in our family all on one account. Its only 5 bucks a month per radio. Which makes it even better that its that cheap

·
Registered
611 Posts
I briefly considered Sirius... but then i rode w/ a buddy who has XM and discovered just how many dead spots there are where I live : / If you've got many places where your driving right next to a large rock wall, theres no reception-- being that your in NC bullet, I assume you probably have a few of these areas as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put the radio where the ash tray goes during lunch and tucked the wires behind. Took a pic with my phone and sent it to my email. Im trying to attach it but it won't let me it says the upload box is full :(

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mazda3s5drslvr link=topic=66761.msg1146068#msg1146068 date=1168615510]
ahh sorry bout that ....hehehe I am going to see if it fits the same way on my lunch break. I also want to hook it directly up to my stereo. reception is not all that great. I live in MD and fm transmitters do not work all that great in this area. Too many big cities.
[/quote]

No problem, we all do it sometimes. :D What year is your car? If you don't have a 2007 with the OEM aux input then you can get one of the many auxillary input options that are available. Click the link in my signature for details.

[quote author=mazda3s5drslvr link=topic=66761.msg1146321#msg1146321 date=1168625176]
Put the radio where the ash tray goes during lunch and tucked the wires behind. Took a pic with my phone and sent it to my email. Im trying to attach it but it won't let me it says the upload box is full :(
[/quote]

Try hosting the picture somewhere like www.photobucket.com. The account is free and they give you tons of space. Then put the picture's url between image tags (push the
button above)

It will look like this when you're typing stuff in

Code:
[img]http://www.yourpicturesurl.com[/img]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok here is the link

also where do you ahve your antenna....trying to figure the best way to hide the wires for it i kinda have them tucked in the stearing column right now i have the antenna left side right in front of the left mirror tried on roof got horrible reception

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mazda3s5drslvr link=topic=66761.msg1146380#msg1146380 date=1168627140]
ok here is the link \[ftp=ftp://http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/mazda3s5drslvr/satradio.jpg]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/mazda3s5drslvr/satradio.jpg[/ftp]

also where do you ahve your antenna....trying to figure the best way to hide the wires for it i kinda have them tucked in the stearing column right now i have the antenna left side right in front of the left mirror tried on roof got horrible reception
[/quote]

Your link doesn't work. Here's the good one. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/mazda3s5drslvr/satradio.jpg

For the lazy

Does the unit sit snugly there? Will that work for you? This model is even thinner than the starmate, so you should be able to hide it even more easily in the ashtray. Like Jeb said, it would be nice if it could be set in there and have the door close without moving it, but that would take a bit of cutting into things.

I don't actually have sirius. :p In my friend's car I put the antenna on the front right corner of the dashboard. I ran the cable through the back of the ashtray compt., behind the dash, and then behind the black weather stripping on the passenger's door. If you remove the a-pillar trim cover then you can hide the wire from the door frame to the glass, and then have the antenna sitting right there. Then you reinstall the cover to hide the wire.

I also got an extra female cig. lighter plug and tapped power for that from the wires on the back of the cig. lighter in the car. Then I ran the power plug for the sirius behind the panel and plugged it into the plug I just put in. That way you're still getting power only when the car is on, there are no wires to see, and you can still use the lighter plug to charge something else (phone, etc.) It makes for a much cleaner install.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah it fits pretty snug in there... its not gonna move around. Only suckie thing is the wires. I am not messing with any thing electrical myself i do not know electircal. Don't really know anyone who does either :( looks like i will have to jerry rig it some how. Yeah i wish i had an extra cig lighter thing in my car. Sure would be nice. Considering i just got a gps for xmas. Going on a trip tomorrow gonna need both. My gps does have a home charger though thats good

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mazda3s5drslvr link=topic=66761.msg1146437#msg1146437 date=1168629429]
yeah it fits pretty snug in there... its not gonna move around. Only suckie thing is the wires. I am not messing with any thing electrical myself i do not know electircal. Don't really know anyone who does either :( looks like i will have to jerry rig it some how. Yeah i wish i had an extra cig lighter thing in my car. Sure would be nice. Considering i just got a gps for xmas. Going on a trip tomorrow gonna need both. My gps does have a home charger though thats good
[/quote]

Wire taps are easy. If you have wire cutters, pliers, and a screwdriver then you can do this. All you need is a power port (either a single one, or a multiport one), and a pack of wire taps

( the ones on the bottom left)

All you do is put both wires (+/+, and -/-) together in a tap and then when you close it it automatically strips the insulation. The picture is with it closed btw. Or you can get a multi plug strip from somewhere (Target has a 3 plug one for $10) and wire that in, and you'll have plenty of space to plug in other devices. (if you're going to wire up multiple devices then I suggest an inline fuse as well just to CYA) I can take pictures of what I did in my friend's car and show you how easy it is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah that would be cool. I will have to find someone to do it for me. I am just not confident doing it myself. Don't want to break a nail. hehehhee ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=66761.msg1146432#msg1146432 date=1168629338]
^^^ I guess you don't like other people playing with your toys, do you naxxal? :p j/k :hide:[/quote]

AHa :sarc:, i take good care of what i have :bash: :thinking:

[quote author=icspots link=topic=66761.msg1146432#msg1146432 date=1168629338]
Is that one of the portable ones that you can record stuff on, and then carry around with you?
[/quote]

Yes, except i have not used it anywhere else but the car, I am kinda too much into my Phatnoise.

[quote author=mazda3s5drslvr link=topic=66761.msg1146437#msg1146437 date=1168629429]
[/quote]
Believe Me i made sure it is very tight, the only problem with this Portable unit is that i had no good place to mount it, well there was one but whatever i had included in the hardware would do my idea, as for wiring it was much simplier than i though.
1. Removed Headunit
2. Connected FM Antenna Adapter to head unit, connected Radio Antenna to FM Adapter.
3. Power cord is pluged in ciggaret plug, wire was pushed under plastic covering, under drivers right side and then under steering wheel, there is a hole easy to through wires through.
4. Antenna was routed from the roof to inside of the driver's side, next to drivers fuse box, under steering wheel through the same hole "opening between steering wheel column and lower knee plastic cover.
Thats it, alot easier than i expected, of course i smaller sat. unit would make it even easier to place it in ashtray like most did here, oh well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts