Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to do this on saturday, but i had too hunt down the metra kit. Overall I'm happier with the kit then i though i would, but i'm still disappointed with the quality of it.

Heres a pic that shows my gripes.
If you look at the area above the dash kit where the lcd used to be, it bulges out and doesn't snap nicely. Maybe i didn't snap it on right. I think im gonna take the trim piece off tomorrow.

Otherwise i though it would look horrible with out the oem head but it doesnt look half bad.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm getting a new headunit in a couple weeks and I couldn't decide which kit to go with...You sold me on the metra kit....Looks clean other than the piece that isn't clipped all the way. Nice job!

·
Registered
645 Posts
No offense, but do you think this looks better than stock? I mean reading your post it doesn't even sound like your too happy with it. IMO I would re evaluate your want for this HU, then take it back if you dont want it before its too late.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=ENH729 link=topic=67059.msg1151414#msg1151414 date=1168913652]
No offense, but do you think this looks better than stock? I mean reading your post it doesn't even sound like your too happy with it. IMO I would re evaluate your want for this HU, then take it back if you dont want it before its too late.
[/quote]

Ive had the headunit for over a year and it was in my old car. I dont think it looks better then stock, but it sure as hell will sound better once i throw some amps in the car. This is only temporary until i can afford to buy a double din pioneer or alpine dvd unit. I had a decision to make function over form vs form over function. I rather have good sound then the looks.

Has anyone painted there metra kit? I was thinking of sanding it down and painting it the same color as the stock HU. I wonder if it would look alright?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the metra kit in my 2007... I didn't like it, I hated the gaps as you do. Needless to say I threw it out and bought a scosche... do that, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You can tell in the last pic that the trim piece is not clipped in correctly. The top trim piece is actually two pieces and it looks like those two in them selves aren't clicked in right. Then again thats all I can tell from that pic, could be wrong.

~Saint

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
if your metra kit was the same color as your other trim pieces id look better. i think.

but im not really a fan of aftermarket cd players.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=kspec link=topic=67059.msg1151665#msg1151665 date=1168922972]
if your metra kit was the same color as your other trim pieces id look better. i think.

but im not really a fan of aftermarket cd players.
[/quote]

I used to love having an aftermarket in my old car but with the 3 i think the only aftermarket unit that will look good is double din dvd receiver. Oh well more of a reason to spend some more money now haha.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=jem0473 link=topic=67059.msg1151406#msg1151406 date=1168913318]
I'm getting a new headunit in a couple weeks and I couldn't decide which kit to go with...You sold me on the metra kit....Looks clean other than the piece that isn't clipped all the way. Nice job!
[/quote]

The piece that isn't clipped isn't the installer's fault. The Metra dash kit is warped on that top section directly from the factory. No amount of tweaking will ever get it to fit correctly at that point under the dash strip. You COULD try to heat it up maybe in some boiling water, and bend/straighten that top section a bit, but I could never get it to look right myself, and tossed the metra kit in the trash in favor of an AI/scosche kit.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=ENH729 link=topic=67059.msg1151414#msg1151414 date=1168913652]
[/quote]

Any aftermarket HU is going to blow away the stock POS. The only thing wrong with this install is the choice of the crappy warped-on-top Metra kit.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Is your head unit grey like the one in the mazdaspeed 3, if so do you want to sell me your faceplate, I live pretty close to you. I think it will look much better once you get the dvd player in there, it will probably cover up the part that isn't clipping in.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I have the exact same Metra kit and the same Headunit. You didnt do anything wrong, it dosent clip in correctly. Looks good.

I think the Scoche kit dosent give you a pocket where the LCD was. Keep the Metra, its 90% as good as OEM.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=dread link=topic=67059.msg1152160#msg1152160 date=1168963039]
Is your head unit grey like the one in the mazdaspeed 3, if so do you want to sell me your faceplate, I live pretty close to you. I think it will look much better once you get the dvd player in there, it will probably cover up the part that isn't clipping in.
[/quote]

Yea the faceplate is grey. Im going to be keeping the stock head for when i get rid of the car many years down the road. I hate selling with my expensive units.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I just installed a metra kit in my 07 as well the color difference makes it look cheesy, and the fact you cant get it clipped right annoys the hell out of me. I may end up with a scosche and modify it to keep the metra upper tray in. As I see it unless you have climate control there is no point in keeping the stock display. Besides I may be able to use the tilt function on my 9853 with it a little lower in the scosche kit. :D

</threadjack>

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah the color match of the kits are kind of crappy - looks like both the Metra and Schoche (sp.) kit are off a little.
I would have not gone with JVC as an after market head unit though, but that's your choice.
I just remember my cousin bought a one a few years back and it has problems reading off CDR.
My brother actually has his car now and he hates it.
The illumination does match the Mazda's, which is cool.
When I stop burning out stock stereos I will show a final version of my install (trying to keep the stock LCD).

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
[quote author=mazda225 link=topic=67059.msg1153482#msg1153482 date=1169005189]
you gotta put the Lcd back in haha Like this 8)

[/quote]

How did others mount the stock lcd?
any pics?
I have an 06, so the connection is not a problem, however I looked at it briefly, and It looks like something will need to be fabricated to hold the lcd in place.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I tied the stock brackets that hold the LCD on the kit.
I had the hook them up back wards though cuz the kit was too big.

·
Registered
513 Posts
yeah the stock brackets to the stock hu jsut did a sip in the middle of it nthen jsut screwd it to the after market one worked out good if u would like i could take it out and and take pics to show u

1 - 20 of 23 Posts