Mazda3 Forums banner

Here are my narrowed down choices:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hey Steph, i would go with the Falken fk452's they are nice, in my opinion, i've owned several tires Goodyear eagle Gs D3's , Falken, bfgoodrich, bridge stone, kumho, and i stay way clear of goodyear all together and the same with bridgestone. Stick with falkens :-D

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the additional info Adrian ;)

I was set on the Yok this afternoon, and now I'm torn. I'll have to collect some more opinions - I'm ready for my summer setup!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the Kumho Ecsta SPTs on my Mazda6, I was pretty pleased. I'll probably get another set for my next set of wheels. Wet performance was good, better than some all seasons I have driven on.
However, I just got a set of 225/45/17 Falken 452s about a week and a half ago, pretty satisfied so far but no experience in the wet, just daily driving and one autocross.
I would imagine the SPTs will last longer if that's important.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Kumho FTW!!! :p I actually have their newest model, the Ecsta LX platinum (as of last May) and have been thrilled with them. Handling is great, didn't detract from the car's agility one bit. I know it's an AS tire and you're lookin for summers, but as far as the brand goes---I can speak very highly of mine, and I'll leave it at that. I've also had Kumho's on my previous car and loved them too.

hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is my 2nd season on Kumho SPTs and they're loud. It was quite evident today when I switched over from my Dunlop snow tires. Other than the noise, I'm happy with the wet and dry performance.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I was gonna say look at Sumitomo. I haven't heard much of them by mouth, but they get great reviews on tirerack.com. The Goodyears that came on my car are the first departure from Bridgestone in my life (driving 8 years) and can only say good things about Bridgestone. Most were high performance all season on my old 323. Be sure to look over reviews on sites like tirerack.com and forum users. Might want to use the comparison tools on tire sites as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
best tire isn't on your list... sumitomo htrz III! #1 on tirerack right now... just bought them for my gf's 07 civic... in that same size 225/45/17! they're super quiet! and check out the wet/dry ratings on tirerack...can't beat it!

·
Registered
987 Posts
[quote author=bulletcatcher829 link=topic=139651.msg3010956#msg3010956 date=1237786995]
sumitomo htr z iii
[/quote]

I've used the Yokohamas and Sumitomos and would have to say the Sumitomo HTR-Z III will wipe the floor with the Yokohama S.drive and (according to Tire Rack, since the S.drive & RE760 rate closely in dry handling) the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 in lateral grip. That should be expected since the HTR-Z III is in a higher summer class. Carcass is somewhat stiffer but the HTR-Z III are inexpensive.

Summer tires typically handle the wet better than all-seasons, with some exceptions.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I like my Sumi's.. nice and quiet overall.

Hasn't rained so cannot give you feedback on wet handling. they track straighter than the GY:RS-A's that were on it before

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
for the sumitomos: I'm not really looking for a max performance class.. this has gotta be my DD in new england..
looking through the reviews, there are a lot of positives, but i did see some mention that once they get over 10k miles, the performance drops off a lot, especially in the wet.. but overall, yeah, great reviews..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for everybody's votes and opinions.. this has been a tight "race" and hasn't made my decision much easier :p
gonna be ordering them by this weekend at the latest!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts