Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a set of PIAA LED bulbs for the fog lamps. I've been driving with them for a couple of weeks now and I've had absolutely no problems. They are extremely expensive for just bulbs but they look great, reduce the electrical load and, thanks to the integral cooling fans, should supposedly outlive the car. They appear to be slightly dimmer than the OEM fog bulbs (to my eye and most of those I ask). But if you intend to use your fog lamps primarily to increase visibility in adverse weather conditions (and not just as extra driving lamps), this is what I would recommend as the best option short of adding more powerful aftermarket lamps. The contrast look is also nice, but if that's your main goal there are less expensive options. This is a performance mod.

The product in question:
http://www.piaa.com/store/p/645-Performance-LED-Fog-Bulb-Yellow-2800k-Twin-Pack.aspx

Installation is pretty straight forward. I'm not posting a tutorial on how to replace fog bulbs. However, I will take this opportunity to complain about all the plastic that needs to be removed/pried out of the way just to gain access to many parts of our cars. I love the streamlining/corrosion protecting effect, but damn do I hate taking it all apart and putting it all back together for what on most cars is a three minute job lol.

Here's what it looks like once you have the bulb & controller in place. Note the fan mounted on the back of the bulb.

A closeup on the upgraded lamp.

OEM on passenger, PIAA on the driver side.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Great writeup, but that is CRAZY expensive!!! I wonder how long those fans will stay working (at least well) considering it gets mighty dirty down there...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PIAA claims both bulb & fan will outlast the car. Between that and PIAA's stellar reputation I figured I'd pull the trigger and share my experiences. I'll make sure to report any troubles here in this thread. PIAA's warranty on LED bulbs covers two years, but I'm not sure if that applies to the fans as well (outside bulbs & wipers PIAA covers all products with a lifetime warranty).

Two other things worth noting btw - 1) No PIAA stickers/decals were included, which honestly was a little disappointing at that price. They will however send anyone decals in your choice of size if you send them a self-addressed stamped envelope for it.

2) The fans are audible outside the cabin with the engine off. If you let your lights turn off automatically when you exit the vehicle, this provides a kinda cool hum as you walk away. =D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice. I was looking into getting those too but the 6000k ones but wasn't too sure how I feel about having fans on them. Just more things that can fail down later down the road =/

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm a little worried about the amount of heat being generated by the set up (hence the need for the cooling fan); but if the fan does have a long lifespan, then I guess all is good.

Lots of $$ but they are sure nice and bright !!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looking good! But damn the price. Worth it if you got it. Those PIAA's are built well. Have not seen these before. Will keep in mind if I get a fat bonus one day. I have had a few friends with PIAA fogs mounted. They are nice!

I went with the 55 buck fog light LED bulbs from corksport.

http://corksport.com/corksport-led-drl-kit-h11.html

The fog lights on this 3 suck. The reg bulbs were not that bright. These are not much different. Mainly just a look.

Looks like there is some improvement on the new 3's fog light output.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Alright buds. Let me look at putting something together tomorrow. Need to get some PIC's.

For now. They have been on the ride for about four years I think. No issues so far. I like the look. Did not look right before having HID's with halogen fogs. Now they complement each other better. But I do like the yellow LED's with HID's as well. Considered yellow laminate on the fogs before. When my headlights are on my fogs are on. Always run them with my headlights. Will post a thread with review soon.

Ok got it done finally.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?p=9765506#post9765506

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No PIAA stickers/decals were included, which honestly was a little disappointing at that price. They will however send anyone decals in your choice of size if you send them a self-addressed stamped envelope for it.
BTW - I sent them a SASE and they not only sent me double the number of specifically sized decals I asked for in two colors, they even threw in a drink cozy. =)

Also, six months and no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Holy ballz, $300 for bulbs only!!! I wish I had that kind of money to throw my car. Looks really nice though I must admit.

Plenty of options out there for LEDs. Ive heard bad comments regarding the integral cooling fans on most of them but with PIAA's great reputation (and warranty hopefully) you should be set. For others considering the LED route for fogs, I would be very interested to see the XenonDepot or else the Morimoto LED's. Both do not use fans to disperse heat which is just one less thing to fail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
THEY HAVE FAILED

Hey all. Just thought I'd let anyone interested know that these bulbs have just failed a couple weeks apart (the fans are still working). The warranty ended about two years ago. They claimed they would have a 30,000 hour life. That's just under 3.5 years of actual use. TIL not to trust a company's claims about the expected life of a product unless the warranty covers it for at least that same amount of time. That came out to nearly $100/year. Lame.

EDIT - PIAA is honoring the warranty anyway. See below.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THEY HAVE HONORED THE WARRANTY ANYWAY

So PIAA says they're not strict on warranties. If they said it will last a certain amount of time, they'll stand by that. They say they'll hook me up if I can provide ANY proof of purchase in any form. THE HUNT BEGINS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts