Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 3s out to the Collesium Parking Lot and took some shots of the new bulbs. Mine's not Xenon equipped and though I thought the stock lighting was alright in the 3, I wanted yellow fog lamps ... and then I just upgraded everything else too ;)

Above are the European Osram SilverStar H7 Bulbs. In the background, about 200ft away is an orange parking cone with reflector. I walked to that point and the light extended probably another 40ft before it couldn't be seen anymore.

These are the Hoen All Weather Fog lamps which replaced the stock set which were white. They are yellower in color when they project - however, I found that because the front of the car "drops off" so much, the effect they have on visibility is limited. Here it looks like they light up a good 6ft from the bumper outwards, but since the drop off is abrupt in the 3, you see maybe a 2ft effect from the driver's seat.

These are the Philips Premium 9005 (HB3) Bulbs High Beams with the low beams on. Because there's nothing but parking lot you really can't see how much more they light up (and my camera is really limited in the dark). They do light up a significant amount of perhiperal scenary, as you can see from the dispersion pattern on the ground immediately beside the car.

I have a few more photos but I figure this is how much most people want to see ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
how the heck do you guys change the high beams?!?!?! hahaa i cant even get in there....i want to change the stupid turn signals hahaa...and high beams now that ive seen those rpc haha =D

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
time for another "how to" guide!! ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow, to be honest, even though those are not Xenon or HID, they do look pretty good. Then again projector is good. Do you have pics of yourself inside the car so we can see it from the drivers perspective? Thanks man

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Shot from inside. The fogs are on also (you can see a slight yellow area just beyond the hood). Its the same parking lot, but the location is different.

The lights go pretty far, but there is also a slight downhill grade in this shot. Shutter speed was slightly slower, 2 tenths of a second (the lights may appear relatively brighter than the first 3 shots) but the focal length is the same.

Ground is dry, its not iced over, but it might have been salted (which is why it also looks really white). But I don't think there's much light being reflected off the ground and making it look brighter than it actually is.

This is the shot of the original headlights and the Hoen All-Weather bulbs. The camera doesn't show the difference in color too well from straight on.

·
Registered
327 Posts
wow, they look real good to me, they almost like like HIDs from the inside, gosh, they are much better than normal halogens to be honest. I'm beginning to think now. Ok for all those who have HID, is it much brighter than this?

·
Registered
327 Posts
btw, those are just ur lowbeams right, with no highbeams on shot from ur perspective?

·
Registered
327 Posts
u mentioned that you don't think there's much light being reflected off the ground and making it look brighter than it actually is. I just wanted to know what u meant by this?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
u mentioned that you don't think there's much light being reflected off the ground and making it look brighter than it actually is. I just wanted to know what u meant by this?
If you've ever turned on your headlights over a feild of fresh snow or ice or it sometimes makes everything look really lit up because the light is reflecting off the surfaces.

btw, those are just ur lowbeams right, with no highbeams on shot from ur perspective?
Those are the low beams, the fogs are on so the high beams don't turn on also.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do you have a before and after shot of the brights? Curious the difference they make. Also where'd you get them?
BTW, looks good.

Craig

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortuately, no before and after shots of the brights.

·
Registered
327 Posts
do you think it would be possible not to be forceful to get a pic where it's not reflecting over the ice?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'll have to wait until the Spring. Any place around here that's flat and dark enough to show the full distance of the lights is usually got ice patches, snow, or is heavily salted. Unless, of course, you're willing to pay my tresspassing ticket onto JFK for use of their runways... ;)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
This maybe a dumb question, but are the bulbs (head & fog) on the passenger side the same as the ones on the drivers side? It might be the camera angle but the ones on the drivers side seem brighter, more expansive light.

·
Registered
327 Posts
it's ok rpc, well wait till spring then thanks man.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
lmp180psu said:
This maybe a dumb question, but are the bulbs (head & fog) on the passenger side the same as the ones on the drivers side? It might be the camera angle but the ones on the drivers side seem brighter, more expansive light.
I think it's just camera angle. When you move the camera to the left, you'd see the same result on the passenger side bulbs.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The Hoen H11 bulbs are for the fog lights, correct? I think the stock fog lights are too yellow. I might take advantage of the package deal of $60 from a_kaup ( Hoen) after I know that I will be getting the Mazda3 :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, Hoen stocks H11 Xenonmatch fog bulbs as well as all-weather bulbs. The all-weather's are yellow coated and the xenonmatch are blue tinted. If you want something that's gonna be superwhite, go with their xenonmatch.

I was thinking of doing a headlamp replacement guide, but the spaces are so small that getting a camera in there, let alone focusing it at that close distances is proving to be impossible. Believe me, they are customer servicable if you're talking the halogens and the procedure is outlined well in the manual.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
rpc180 said:
the fogs are on so the high beams don't turn on also.
You know we are too drunk to figure that out on a Saturday night... ;)

For those interested, I have purchased the Hoen package for the mz3. If I get them before others here that ordered, I will do my best to install them with before/after and side-by-side pics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts