Mazda3 Forums banner

581 - 600 of 608 Posts

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Going to a local crank it up competition Sunday. I'm not thinking my car will be competitive (didn't build it for SPL) but I'm curious where it is and where the peak frequency is. If I break 110's with a single 12 I'll be plenty happy. I know my sub plays very low, just can't tell how loud it is.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Inb4 parts falling of
Nothing is falling off, just some door panel rattle.

Besides, it ain't loud (says every basshead with permanent hearing loss).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Phil,

Did you ever resolve the issue with the headunit adapter not fitting well into the console? ie. the gap above the AC controls?

I'd still trying to decice what to do with it, and wondered if you stumbled across anything.

I like the sub box you built and want something like that in mine. If only it were easier to make box to fit the spare tire well and keep some of the storage tray. I miss my ol PPI 12".

Also, i'd leave the box black and maybe paint a mazda emblem on it to break up the blackness. Purple wouldn't look right back there.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Hey Phil,

Did you ever resolve the issue with the headunit adapter not fitting well into the console? ie. the gap above the AC controls?

I'd still trying to decice what to do with it, and wondered if you stumbled across anything.

I like the sub box you built and want something like that in mine. If only it were easier to make box to fit the spare tire well and keep some of the storage tray. I miss my ol PPI 12".

Also, i'd leave the box black and maybe paint a mazda emblem on it to break up the blackness. Purple wouldn't look right back there.
Haven't fooled with the head unit mount, mainly a time issue. Been taking orders and trying to get my name out. That's leaving less time to work on my own stuff.

I figure some purple splatter will look good since its a purple car after all. Kinda keep a two color theme going. On the other hand, I would love to grind it all back down and prime/paint the whole thing to match the body color. That would look hot.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Spent some QT this weekend. Clay bar'd my car for the first time, could not BELIEVE how much shit came off on the clay bar after I'd already washed my car.

After that, I used some Meguiar's one step polish/wax. It definitely helped, paint is MUCH smoother than before, but I'm not going to be happy till I put a big order down at Griot's Garage and get the stuff to compound/polish my car and wax it. Lots of orange peal, lots of swirl marks and circular scratches from a lifetime of automatic car washes before I got it.

Honestly, the front end could use repainting, and I think my next project will be to finally paint the wheels bronze since the factory silver paint is fairly faded. At the other end of the spectrum is the fact that this is a daily driver, and rock chips will happen, so I'm not trying to have it too pretty. If I keep this old girl long enough that it becomes a project car, maybe a respray then will be warranted, that along with a C or B pillar wall and a crazy sub setup.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
Orange peel all over the car
Swirl marks all over the car
Front end is just sand blasted from 130,000 miles of commuting.

It kinda irks my nerves cause the car is in really good shape otherwise. Paint is very glossy, factory clear is awesome, just some nitwit didn't know how to take care of it when they owned it before me. We'll see what happens.

Like I keep saying, if I keep the car after it's paid off and pick up a cheap commuter, I'd love to have this car resprayed, air bag suspension, and go full ham on the audio setup. Believe it or not, what I already have in it is pretty pedestrian by my standards.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Orange peel all over the car
Swirl marks all over the car
Front end is just sand blasted from 130,000 miles of commuting.

It kinda irks my nerves cause the car is in really good shape otherwise. Paint is very glossy, factory clear is awesome, just some nitwit didn't know how to take care of it when they owned it before me. We'll see what happens.

Like I keep saying, if I keep the car after it's paid off and pick up a cheap commuter, I'd love to have this car resprayed, air bag suspension, and go full ham on the audio setup. Believe it or not, what I already have in it is pretty pedestrian by my standards.
Have you thought about respraying it yourself?

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Have you thought about respraying it yourself?
Think about it all the time, but I'm no paint and body guy. No guarantee it wouldn't come out looking like crap, but if it gets done I'll probably be the one doing it with a friend's help that does do paint.

Problem is, with my daily commute, it'll just get chewed up again. Another year, I'll be riding the van pool to work and cutting way back on the miles. Then, it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
1. It's a car.
2. Get over it.

That's how I see it.

If it bugs you enough; use touch-up on the worst spots.
Front bumper is way past the touchup point. Too many rock chips to count. I deal with it as long as I'm commuting. Maybe one day when this is less commuter and more project car, it'll get a respray on the front end and a good buffing everywhere else.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
Clicking and popping noise from both front corners. Think my 130K+ sway bar end links just gave up the ghost. Don't hear anything from the strut mounts, mainly hear it at low speeds on bumpy roads. Once I get a little speed going they quiet down.

Rock Auto, here I come.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Vote for Powergrid too. Good bits and good (if snarky) customer service.

581 - 600 of 608 Posts