Mazda3 Forums banner

561 - 580 of 608 Posts

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
The actual noise is also related to the port shape. Turbulent air is going to be noisier.
Port shape DOES partially influence port noise. Ports will tend to be noisy in the following order as port area decreases:
Slot port > round port > aero port.

This has to do with air resistance based on port shape. But, no matter what shape port you use, too little area is going to result in port noise.

I have 24 square inches of port area in my design, which should be fine on low power. If I were pushing 1000watts, I'd go higher to 28-30" of port just to be safe.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Replaced my TRS relay harness. Was having an issue where after the headlight had run a while, if I shut then off and back on again, the driver side wouldn't come back on. I'm pretty sure I found the problem.

Water intrusion and rust. At least I caught it before the relay burned out.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
That sucks.... Just goes to show you can get quality issues no matter what brand you use.
How old is your setup?

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
That sucks.... Just goes to show you can get quality issues no matter what brand you use.
How old is your setup?
About a year and a half, in a part of the country known for raining 370 days out of the year with high relative humidity. I always wondered why TRS didn't pot of otherwise seal their relays. On the upside, the other relay was perfectly dry and working fine when I pulled it.

The updated harness does use sealed relays, and the ground straps are a bit beefier. I emailed TRS with pics to make sure they know what the failure point was for other customers.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Are these relays for your low beam 35W HIDs?
Yep. Like I said, the relay harness I just dropped in is standard with their kits now. I did email TRS with pics so hopefully this'll make it easier for others to get their harnesses replaced under warranty if they have a similar problem.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
Major sub/audio upgrade.

Fully assembled, tested, fucking hits so hard at full volume my headliner and window visors were vibrating. Got a full day of sanding ahead of me but I'll have this wrapped up by tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
Two coats of bedliner down, one or two left till I'm happy.

Now, having a little break. A cigar, some coffee, and Truth in 24: Every Second Counts.

Also nursing a bum foot, dropped a 30 pound sub on my foot first thing this morning. FML.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I love to enjoy a nice cigar every now and than myself. Its about time I hit the local shop tomorrow. Glad to see your work coming along. I could learn a lot from you.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
I love to enjoy a nice cigar every now and than myself. Its about time I hit the local shop tomorrow. Glad to see your work coming along. I could learn a lot from you.
Just gotta dig in and figure it out most times. A lot of what I know in car audio, I picked up here and there along the way. My Dad taught me the basics of electrical wiring, woodworking, and electronics theory. From there, I just asked lots of questions, shut my mouth, and opened my ears. The rest is just diving in and figuring it out.

My current challenge is finish work. My boxes are plenty strong and well constructed, but the nuances of Bondo, sanding, bedlining, painting I'm figuring out. They're presentable, but I'm not happy till they're perfect.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
All done, and she looks purdy back there.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
Nice ver nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, I'm plenty happy with the sound, the the box is built like a brick shithouse. Just going off feel, it's easily 50 pounds before the 30 pound sub, very sturdy. Double baffled on the front, reinforced at all corners, Liquid Nails beaded on all interior edges, not a leak in sight. And I'm most happy with the flexibility, it love low bass in the 30-45 range, but it'll happily play up into the 60's. I ran a 70 hz test tone through it, and it just rolled with it.

Played some post grunge/alternative this morning to see how it sounded, very clean and deep. The bass is very resonant, and a few clicks down on the sub level and it's not overpowering at all, just blends right in with the mids crossed over at 80hz.

Now, the only thing I'm debating, is whether or not I get some purple paint close to the color of my car and do a splatter job on it, or otherwise try to dress it up, or just leave it black on black with just the dust cap of the Sundown Audio sub breaking it up.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
And damn man you cut the shit out of that cigar! You in a rush or do you suck on it and they usually get plugged up?

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
And damn man you cut the shit out of that cigar! You in a rush or do you suck on it and they usually get plugged up?
Those cigars have a pretty blunt end, hard to split the middle between that and scraping the wrapper. It's got a tight enough draw that it's fine even with the whole end cut off.

561 - 580 of 608 Posts