Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Honestly, I'll believe it when I see it. The PIAA's I used to have claim they produce 110watts of lighting power out of a 55watt H7 bulb. They also claim it burns at 4000k, which is very nearly pure white on the scale. While they were nice, it was barely noticable over stock halogens. Honestly, the only way you are ever going to get the look and lighting is HID. I never wanted to spend money for the kit, but once I did I feel it is the most important mod on my car to date. That being said though, those Philips do sound like a decent alternative to stock bulbs, I would give it a shot.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Sorry but without increasing the wattage there's no way you can increase your output by 80%. PIAA uses the same marketing tactic to fool people. In the case of PIAA they say "55W = 85W" or something like that. Halogen bulbs don't create electricity. 55W = 55W.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Wattage 55W = 110W XTRA, 4000K

That's direct from PIAA's website, claiming 110watts of power. Oh well, once they kept burning out on me I went apexcone and never looked back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not an electrical expert, but I do know that Watts = Volts x Amps. Given a constant voltage (assume 12v for arguments sake), then a given light bulb could draw more amperage and therefore generate more wattage (up to the amperage draw and heat limits of your electrical system). Now, I'm not sure how many amps the stock Mazda3 headlight circuit can handle, but I don't see why a bulb could pull slightly more current and generate more wattage.

To put it another way, if you take a 40w bulb out of a socket in your house and replace it with a 75w bulb, you get more light. The bulb didn't generate electricity, but it is pulling more amps which is in turn burning through electricity at a faster rate. So . . .

W = V x A or W / V = A
55W / 12V = 4.5A
110W / 12V = 7A (not insignificant, but certainly reasonable)

Anyhoo, I'll crawl back in my hole and continue lurking now. :D

-Rob

·
Administrator
12,854 Posts
[quote author=Fairbanks link=topic=65810.msg1134657#msg1134657 date=1168021802]
I'm not an electrical expert, but I do know that Watts = Volts x Amps. Given a constant voltage (assume 12v for arguments sake), then a given light bulb could draw more amperage and therefore generate more wattage (up to the amperage draw and heat limits of your electrical system). Now, I'm not sure how many amps the stock Mazda3 headlight circuit can handle, but I don't see why a bulb could pull slightly more current and generate more wattage.

To put it another way, if you take a 40w bulb out of a socket in your house and replace it with a 75w bulb, you get more light. The bulb didn't generate electricity, but it is pulling more amps which is in turn burning through electricity at a faster rate. So . . .

W = V x A or W / V = A
55W / 12V = 4.5A

-Rob
[/quote]

Hey all are welcome here so close shop in that hole and keep posting.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
[quote author=Fairbanks link=topic=65810.msg1134657#msg1134657 date=1168021802]

W = V x A or W / V = A
55W / 12V = 4.5A

-Rob
[/quote]

True but that's not what they do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
[quote author=Mummyman link=topic=65810.msg1132381#msg1132381 date=1167892179]
Wattage 55W = 110W XTRA, 4000K

That's direct from PIAA's website, claiming 110watts of power. Oh well, once they kept burning out on me I went apexcone and never looked back.
[/quote]

i want someone to explain my how todays PHISICS (cuz the phisics 3 or electrical phisics didnt teach me that) explain an input 55 watts and in the same resistence (a bulb is a resistence) a different wattage for output.... i think that is a marketing strategy.... :S... but they look really really good!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Operator, thanks for the welcome!

[quote author=M3-GT link=topic=65810.msg1135763#msg1135763 date=1168062840]
[/quote]

You're right - it looks like most of these bulbs are still 55W (some are 65W, but seems to be different bulb types for different applications). Since wattage isn't directly correlated to light output, I still hold some bulbs put out more lumens than others. From my personal experience with the Silver Stars, they were definitely brighter than an equivalent halogen bulb. I've have stumbled across first-hand experiences with these Philips bulbs where people are happy with them and thing they're much brighter than stock halogen (not on Mazdzas necessarily).

-Rob

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
[quote author=Fairbanks link=topic=65810.msg1136176#msg1136176 date=1168110250]
Operator, thanks for the welcome!

[quote author=M3-GT link=topic=65810.msg1135763#msg1135763 date=1168062840]
[/quote]

You're right - it looks like most of these bulbs are still 55W (some are 65W, but seems to be different bulb types for different applications). Since wattage isn't directly correlated to light output, I still hold some bulbs put out more lumens than others. From my personal experience with the Silver Stars, they were definitely brighter than an equivalent halogen bulb. I've have stumbled across first-hand experiences with these Philips bulbs where people are happy with them and thing they're much brighter than stock halogen (not on Mazdzas necessarily).

-Rob
[/quote]

I agree but no way a 55W watt but can give you a 110W output like PIAA says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts