Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if theirs a chip out for the car or not? or is it the same as the mazda6? anything else to boost the enginge performance?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Peformance Cars

whoa there nelly, might want to slow down a bit. There is no ECU program tune out yet. And being that this is a brand new car alone, we're looking a year minimum before one even surfaces.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking maybe seeing its the 2,3 from the m6 their might be one out already. i like alittle speed,i got nascar speed in my body with a 2.3 budget...lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Mazda6 has been out for a year, and there isn't any ECU programs out yet, doesn't even look like theirs one in making for now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that bites, so much for that idea, guess that gives me a few xtra houndred bucks to spend on something else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
And wouldn't you not want to use a chip from the 6? Because I thought the 6 didn't have the variable valve timing. I don't know if the chip would be affected by this or not.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, it would just take some extra coding to cross over. I'm curious as to how much a chip could tune the engine. +15hp maybe?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
NA chips are usually 8-12hp tops. They may make more if you add an intake and exhuast... but its too soon to know if they will have a chip.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Given that the 2.3L is chipped differently by Mazda in Japan for an extra 10hp, it goes that it should be easy to chip it for the same boost, but it then might require premium gas.

But given that this is not going to be a top 10 selling vehicle and that a lot of buyers aren't the "chipping" type, there is no guarantee that a chip will ever be available. Performance chips aren't available for a lot of engines. If it is one of the chosen to get a chip, odds are that it will take 1-3 years for a chip to be available.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Who knows if its able to be chipped at all! For all we know we could manually adjust the timing on the coilpacks. Or a bigger fuel pressure regulator to dump more fuel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
black3s said:
And wouldn't you not want to use a chip from the 6? Because I thought the 6 didn't have the variable valve timing. I don't know if the chip would be affected by this or not.
That would be my concern. I was told at the dealer when I got my 3, that I should look into getting a chip for the 2.3. Now, this salesman was not the most intelligent but he did tell me that someone had already done so by putting a Mazda6 chip on his Mazda3. I bet it is coming, but it may already be here.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The Mazda6 2.3 is exactly the same, in terms of design. Yes, they both have S-VT. The 2.3 in the MZ3 is a little lower end than the MZ6 (higher RPM for same power) but design wise they're the same.

I'm pretty sure you still could not use an ECU tune for hte 6 in the 3 though. It'll be a while before aftermarket parts really hit the market.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
how come some Vdubs can get 20+ hp out of their chips??

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
because they are turbo.

My Dub only got, maybe 8hp. It was a VR6.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not much of a chip tuning challenge to get the 3 to gain a few ponies. The car is set to run on 87 octane. A somewhat more aggresive timing map would probably be good for 8 hp, but would require 91 octane.

It might even be possible to get a timing advance through a piggy controller like an e-manage without resorting to a chip flash. The nice thing about a piggy back would be that you could quickly remove it for warranty work.

Don't underestimate the benefits of another 8 hp at the wheels. Especially if you get it with a timing map. Low end power is usually where you are likely to see the biggest percentage gains, and is where the car needs it most. Very traffic friendly.

A good header might make a difference all across the board, but I recall Mazda saying that they were already using a well flowing ceramic coated header which allowed the cat to warm up quickly. So gains here might be pretty modest but even 5 or 6 extra ft lbs of torque down low is very noticeable.

My thoughts are the combination of a more aggressive timing map and a good header would give maybe 12-14 hp at the wheels, with a good torque boost at the bottom, and would make the car very fun.

Does anybody know how the oil pump is driven on this car? I had an underdrive crankshaft pulley on my Miata and really liked it. The down side was that Miata was known to have oil pump failures on turboed cars with an underdrive pulley as the pump was driven by gear directly off the crankshaft. So there was alway a concern that a naturally aspirated car might have reliabiltiy issues over the long term. Many people ran them without incident for many miles but there was always a that little nagging concern. In their defence the ultralight cranskaft pulleys such as the ones Unorthodox Racing and others sell really helps the engine rev quicker and feel much torquier. Mine came of when the car was supercharged. No reason to underdrive a supercharger.

I don't want my 3 to make a bunch more noise. I have pretty limited goals as far as performance enhancement goes. I am dubios about the typical CAI and exhaust combo. I am not saying I would not install such things but there needs to be a relatively big pay off for all the additonal racket.

Before I went forced induction on the Miata, I had the full monty of intake, header, exhaust, timing advance,, and underive pulley on my Miata. Altogether it was only good for about 15 additional wheel horspower which was okay, not great. The best part was that the car made more torque after the mods at 2K, then it did before at peak. The peak torque was also up about 15 ft lbs. It is the torque you feel the most anyway. The down side it was noisy. Something you can live with more easily on a roadster than on a sedan.

A similar performance gain on the 3 without all the racket would be enough to keep me from ever considering forced induction. Beside I have the Miata when I need to drive something brutish.

Subjectively a stock Miata feels slower than a 3s, even one with an ATX. The quarter mile times are about the same as the Miata but the 0-60 times are much better on the MTX 3s In fact, the quoted 8.0 seconds on the ATX 3s is identical to a MTX Miata.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input, you all have been a great help, thanks again

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The motor is near exact to that in the Mazda6. So an underdrive pulley kit for the 6 will be near identical to the 3.

·
Registered
16 Posts
maybe an APEXi SAFC II could be used these units are pretty much universal tuning the fuel map in 200 rpm incriments and may even eliminate the speed cut depending on rather its a fuel cut or not. another plus if this will work would be that you can have a couple different fuel maps to choose from. can anyone tell me if the ecu has a p-rom port the same as ford ecu?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Kensaku said:
Any word on a chip for the 3 yet?
You can't chip the Can-bus ECU, but you can reflash it. And SCT will soon release a flasher for the Mazda3. There is another post with more details in one of the sponsors section.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts