Mazda3 Forums banner

Perception of Mazda.

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  MazdaExperienced 
#1 ·
Every car company has a reputation. If you say you have a BMW, people will say it's a high class car. If you say you have a Honda, people will say you have a reliable car. If you say you have a Bently, people say, "Where the hell did you get all that money?"

What do people say when you tell them you have a Mazda?

I'm just asking this because I told someone I wanted a Mazda, and he pleaded with me never to get one, because they're pieces of crap. Is he just misinformed?

#3 ·
They say they want an RX-8. I've never had anyone say they're a piece of crap. I've had quite a few people tell me they like my car (99 Protege). Even some 13 year old walking down the street came up to me while I was cleaning out my car and said "sweet ride."

#7 ·
Mazda has bad reliability history from 1993-1997 mainly because of turbo'd 3rd. Generation RX7's that had engine overheating problems and 626's which had transmision problems. Miata was always the most reliable mazda imho. Because mazda sold sh*tload of 626s and had bunch of transmission problems, that's why mazda's reputation is down as well. Since new gen. protege, miata, and P5 came out it's been better. And now there aren't any major problems with 6, RX8, etc. So it's going up!

#8 ·
People are just stupid. They have perceptions in their mind and believe whatever they want to, no matter how little sense it makes. Ive gone round and round with Mazda haters out there on several different boards, and its always the same. People write Mazda off because of their association with Ford. I cant repeat how many times Ive heard, "oh it's just a Ford." :roll:

My thing is, what can be said about Mazda that cant be said about any other company. They revised the RX8's hp? So did Nissan and Hyundai two years ago on several cars. The 626 had bad transmissions? So did Honda/Acura, yet there was no uproar about it. A few people have needed a new Renesis engine? So did more than a few Nissan owners with that 2.5L engine.

People only seem to recall these issues when it comes to Mazda though, for some reason.

#9 ·
What do people say when you tell them you have a Mazda?

Zoom- zoom jk :D

#11 ·
Lol :lol: Dinu 01 you seem to be here all the time.

#14 ·
Perception of Mazda

I used (92-96) to work for Mazda North America as a District Sales Manager. I currently drive a 97 Protege and my wife drives a 2003 Tribute.

Mazda's are flat out fun to drive. Unless you have an older MPV. My wife's Tribute is a kick. Plenty of horsepower and handle pretty well. My Protege gets 35 mpg at 80mph. How can you beat that for a commuter car!?!

I have been toying around with a number of different Mazda's as my next ride, The RX-8 is a complete kick in the pants (for $32,000 ouch). The Mazda6 has plenty of oats and handles well. But the Mazda3 has all the potential for a great aftermarket hotrod. I know a company that take a 2.3 liter engine and get 300HP and it is bulletproof. I will talk with my contacts at Mazda R&D and see what they are thinking.

Just know this: Mazda's are for driving! If you like to drive, buy a Mazda! You will not be dissapointed.

#16 ·
Even old Mazda's are great to drive, too. I am never bored in my 98 Protege. Every time I'm feeling a little down, I just take the turn a little faster. It also gets almost 40 mpg highway, automatic. Now that's quality.

#19 ·
What of Mazda?

They're constantly getting better in the reliability and now are getting known for all the extra "toys" in the Protege, and the latest Mazda6. Now the Mazda3. These cars are amazing. Consumer's Reports has been giving the Protege top honors since before 1999. They're tops along with Honda, Acura and Toyota. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.