Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
13,365 Posts
Absinthe said:
Break in period is usually the first 1000-1500km of your car. This is what determines whether your car is 90,000 mile car or 190,000 mile car. It's to ensure that your car delivers its normal ride quality and maximum performance.
That's not really true... I know many people who say 'drive it like you stole it' and their cars go 190,000.

I think it's a difference between a 190,000 car and a 200,000 car... it's not that big a difference.

· Registered
110 Posts
:shock: Damn!!! IN Europe they always write in the manual that you have to fill at least with 95 octane.
actually we dont have lower octane at our gasstations than 91.
i think that this is a big conspiracy of oil-companies & car manufacturers over central europe.

· Registered
272 Posts
Europe uses Research Octane index (RON), whereas N/A uses (R+M)/2 (average between Motor and Research index).

95 RON = 91 (R+M)/2 = premium
91 RON = 87 (R+M)/2 = regular

Yes, there is a price to pay for having cleaner engine in Europe. Americans should thank Europeans, because the environment issue concern everybody.

· Registered
882 Posts
I got about 400kms out of my car before it just slipped below the quarter tank mark. My milage has been pretty good overall, not really that far off from my pro5, once it's broken in it should be pretty darn close.

· Registered
272 Posts
bluong1 said:
Europe uses Research Octane index (RON), whereas N/A uses (R+M)/2 (average between Motor and Research index).

95 RON = 91 (R+M)/2 = premium
91 RON = 87 (R+M)/2 = regular

Yes, there is a price to pay for having cleaner engine in Europe. Americans should thank Europeans, because the environment issue concern everybody.
Yes, we should be getting SuperDiesel here in NA in 2006, right? That should pave the way for all of the cool turbodiesels serving duty in Europe and Asia...Mmmm, lots of torque...

· Registered
10 Posts
The low sulfer diesel is mandated in either '05 or no later than '06. There already are moves being made by Ford (Focus and V-6 F-150D) and Jeep (Liberty) to start marketing diesels here in America. According to the Euro experts Ford has one of the best 4cyl. diesels made in their DuraTorq. series. We can only hope that we start seeing those over here.
Cheers.

· Registered
213 Posts
Using the tank the dealer filled up, I got about 395 Km when the red light came on.
I filled for the first time (about 50L) 91 Octane. will see what mileage I get out of that.

So you guys are saying I'll harm my car by using 91 Octane?!

· Registered
314 Posts
mastermoe said:
Using the tank the dealer filled up, I got about 395 Km when the red light came on.
I filled for the first time (about 50L) 91 Octane. will see what mileage I get out of that.

So you guys are saying I'll harm my car by using 91 Octane?!
91 Octane will not harm your car. The NA specs just ask for 89 Octane (Regualr Unleaded). The extra octane will prevent knock on your engine. From what people say, unless your engine suffers from knocking or pinging, there are no benefits from gasing up with higher octane fuel.

· Registered
169 Posts
Umm, I think regular gas is 87 octane. According to a Mazda Canada rep, he says using higher than regular octane all the time will be detrimental to your engine, but everything that I've heard or read so far does not support this theory. Nevertheless, the one thing that most people agree on is that it is a waste of money to use anything higher & that there is no performance gain.

· Registered
882 Posts
Depending on the vendor 89 is midgrade or 91 is midgrade (Chevron I believe). I ran 87 Octane (as suggested by the manual) in my Protege5 and it ran beautifully.

The only times you really have to worry about higher octane is if you have a high compression motor (these are not) or if you run some kind of boost or advanced timing. I used to run 89 octane in my 86 Mustang GT, after I slapped the supercharger on it wouldn't run properly with anything less than 91/92.

· Registered
268 Posts
I been getting about 10km/L in my car for the first 1000kms but its gone down a little since I'm driving it a little harder now. This is ALL city driving, too (with only brief stints on Lougheed or HWY #1).

· Registered
882 Posts
I will probably fill up tonight but right now I am under a quarter tank left, the light hasn't come on and I'm about 460ish kms on the tank. I'm sure I'll hit 500 if I wanted to. This trip was 300kms @ 120km/h and the rest in city driving. Pretty much what I figured.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
One main reason why higher octane doesnt yield higher hp figures is: stock ignition. The ratio of air and gas has carefully been studied to determine what octane should be used.

Optimal performance is what the OM says. Oh btw, in Colorado, the octane levels are 85 - 87 - 91 - 100 - 105 - 110 - 115 leaded.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.