Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you filled your second tank of gas yet (supposed the first tank was filled by the dealer when you picked up your car)? I have past the halfway mark already and getting there :) I have used like 32Xlitres already......... The car seems to be eating up more gas than my P5 :? Any insight in this ? What's the mileage you got per/liter?

·
Banned
868 Posts
So far I have around 340ish km's on my first tank.

It's got 1/4 left.

·
Banned
868 Posts
....that works out to around 8.24km/L.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ic Hey Lev what kind of gas are you going to put in your MZ3? Iam probably put 92 for now and maybe 89 when the gas price gets higher.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Haha....well....if it is cheap (69.9 or something like that) when I need to fill up, I'll do the highest octane.

If not...then I'll just use regular.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Use 87 guys. The car doesn't need 89 or 91. Don't waste your $ and don't mess with the computer for no reason.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yeah no benefit was ever shown from using 89 or 92 on hte 2.3L in the MZ6 (without reprogramming the ECU).

You have a new car, expect gas mileage to be iffy for a while.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My dad had a brand new 89 corolla and he was using 92 grade or something higher because he thought he would give his first car in the U.S. the best.....but about ten years later he had it checked out (during a routine tune-up) and the mechanic said that the engine looked older and worst for wear than what it's supposed to be...

·
Registered
168 Posts
If the manual says use regular 87 octane gas, then you should use that. Using a higher octane does not equate to pamparing your car, in fact it could harm it. Octane is a measure (IIRC) of the compression at which knock (premature combustion due to compression) will occur. Premium gas contains anti-knocking agents, & when used in a regular engine could promote incomplete combustion, leaving you with less power & more wastage. If you have a high performance engine that requires premium (92 octance) gas, then you HAVE to use premium, otherwise knock will occur (which could cause engine damage as the combustion attempts to drive the shaft in the opposite direction).

This link contains a lot of technical info regarding octane, for those who want to know more:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/7026/octane1.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
jintegra said:
Premium gas contains anti-knocking agents, & when used in a regular engine could promote incomplete combustion, leaving you with less power & more wastage.
Did a quick read of the above link again, & I may be wrong on this point, but this was what the Mazda Canada rep told me 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
jintegra said:
jintegra said:
Premium gas contains anti-knocking agents, & when used in a regular engine could promote incomplete combustion, leaving you with less power & more wastage.
Did a quick read of the above link again, & I may be wrong on this point, but this was what the Mazda Canada rep told me 2 weeks ago.
It does not contain an anti-knocking agent, it's just denser leading to easier combustion.

·
Registered
627 Posts
New cars and gas

Hello,

Well, sorry to tell ya, new cars will chew more gas for at least the first 1000kms, that's life. After that, it should be great :eek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts