Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what the score is with having tint on the front windows which is darker than legal in these states (specifically FL).

I know that technically, you can get stopped for it, but I see literally tons of cars here in FL with dark tint on the front. I've even seen a few police cars which have darker than legal tint on the front windows.

I've heard people say that the police don't seem to care so much in the hotter states because chances are you've got it to keep your car cool and not because you're hiding anything.

I'm considering getting my fronts redone to match the backs, but wondering if anyone has any advice on it before I go ahead.

Thanks!

· Banned
2,200 Posts
I think a few years back they were really cracking down on it, but I don't think it's a big issue anymore. A long as you're not a dick to the cop when you get pulled over you should be fine. Now if they are looking for something to get you on (say they suspect you were speeding/racing/whatever, but know that it won't stand in court or something), then I'm sure they'll check it just to get something on you (you are breaking the law after all).

· Registered
10,617 Posts
it all depends on the cop....

thats how it goes for most tickets..i mean i got pulled over by a state trooper for going 91 in a 70.

he wrote me up for 5 over, and didn't even give me a tint ticket.

of course i have been pulled over by campus police, just for the sole fact i had window tints...fuckin rookie

· Premium Member
949 Posts
I'm in Alabama, and I have 20% tint, been pulled over 4-5 times. Never once has an officer mentioned my tint. I'm actually thinking about going 5% rear, 15% doors. Like stated before, just don't be a dick to a cop, after all...you were doing something, more than likely speeding to get pulled over. Say Yes Officer, No Officer etc and it'll be gravy.

· Registered
75 Posts
man, the last ticket i got in orlando was for 47 in a 35 , not carrying my registration, ( i was in the process of moving and had all important documents somewhere else(( no idea what happened to the copy)). my front and rear windows are both at 20 % and his machine detected that it was at 12%. it was gay nonetheless he looked a little pissed and looked like he got punched in the face. by some kid that got pulled over previously that i noticed he yelled after the kid was dumb enough to say somethin about kicked the cops ass. lol the tickets sucked but i thought that other kid was hilarious and retarded.

· Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, I always try to be polite. You never know what they will write on the back of their copy of the ticket. But there are those times when its impossible to hold back. Like when the Barney fife mofo pulled me over because in traffic a car was blocking my lane so I rolled around him, but crossed the yellow line. I argued that one with the prick.

· Registered
31,524 Posts
In california, it really depends on the city and the officer. some areas are stricter than others and some officers are more forgiving...

maybe it depends on the situation and the type of car, age of driver, time of day...

for example, cops might be more inclined to cite you at night, because cops don't like to approach a vehicle without being able to see inside.

· Registered
504 Posts
Well well well, it really interesting now, i live in FL, and i trully agree it gets very hot in summer and even during the whole year, and belive it or not i was issued 1 worning and 2 tickets for the tint, first i made a left where it said a "a right turn only", thansfully i was with my mom, got away with the warning including the %5 tint all around (not the windshield). Than i was pulled over for speeding 50 on 35 zone, got a ticket for chrome tint, it pissed me off when he started saying "chrome tint reflects too much visibility, why do you have it", he asked it in such a mean way i wanted to reply "why do you F$%^ing wear your reflective glasses" luckally i did not say a word. That happened when i owned my old Corolla, well when i got MAzda 3 i got %20 all around, didnt want it too dark, well, got pulled over for speeding by the state trooper on the highway, front windows were rolled down already, he came up, asked for license, registration and to roll the windows up, i was issued a tint ticket. So, my conclusion it all depands on the cop, also at night it even harder to see through %20 for police officers, BUT F^&*ing A, i have seen so many People have %5 tint here in Florida, including cops themselves, it really pissed me off. Come on, it gets so hot in here, plus 75% i drive with windows rolled down, i think cops just trying to find shit to be picky about.

· Registered
317 Posts
I never had a problem with my old car (35% front and 28% rear)...I never thought twice about it. On my 3 I went 28% front/rear and there are times when I think it's light and not a problem and other times that it looks really dark. I haven't been pulled over in 4 years but if I do, I'm dropping those windows before Mr. Cop-man gets to the car. Even when I went home to my parents house (which is a conservative town and nothing like the bay area) I saw lots of cars with tint darker than mine.

· Registered
137 Posts
[quote author=wolfe link=topic=67060.msg1151398#msg1151398 date=1168913097]
I'm wondering what the score is with having tint on the front windows which is darker than legal in these states (specifically FL).

I know that technically, you can get stopped for it, but I see literally tons of cars here in FL with dark tint on the front. I've even seen a few police cars which have darker than legal tint on the front windows.

I've heard people say that the police don't seem to care so much in the hotter states because chances are you've got it to keep your car cool and not because you're hiding anything.

I'm considering getting my fronts redone to match the backs, but wondering if anyone has any advice on it before I go ahead.

Thanks!
[/quote]

In Florida, 32% on the front sides, no darker, and 15% from there back, no darker. I have 15 in front and 5 from there back. I had 2 1/2% on my camaro, drove around on slicks, blacked out taillights, and open headers, NEVER got pulled over. 2 weeks after i get my little jap car tinted i get pulled over and get a fix it ticket for my CLEAR license plate cover. I forgot you can't fly past a state trooper going 90 unless you're in an american car =\

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.