Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that pennzoil is bad because they use wax in their oils. I have been running PP full synthetic in my 3 for the past 9 months. Is this a good oil to stay with??? does this oil have the wax in it to gum up the engine. what do you guys recomend? (clean, HP wise) idk...

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=Smeagol J link=topic=68834.msg1190915#msg1190915 date=1170809809]
I have heard that pennzoil is bad because they use wax in their oils. I have been running PP full synthetic in my 3 for the past 9 months. Is this a good oil to stay with??? does this oil have the wax in it to gum up the engine. what do you guys recomend? (clean, HP wise) idk...
[/quote]

Where did you hear this information?
PP is a good oil for a low price.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I got really nervous when I ran PP for 7k miles. When i drained the oil it looked nasty.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've never heard of "wax" in Pennzoil. Overall it's a great oil for the money, certainly cheaper than the higher end. Some people swear by that, others Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Mobil 1. I personally use Mobil 1 in my engine and transmission. The car runs extremely smooth and gas mileage is excellent. I know recently there has been some big deal made over at bobistheoilguy.com forums about Mobil, but from everything I have read there and elsewhere, it doesn't make me believe it's an inferior oil in anyway.
The bottom line is there is no right answer. Quite honestly if you change your oil every 3-5k with either dino or synthetic, your engine will last 200k plus and you will likely never have a oil related issue. Stick with the pennzoil and you will be just fine. If you go with Quaker State, Mobil, Castrol, whatever...you will be just fine. I certainly wouldn't sweat it. The transmission on the other hand...if you aren't schooled on that, do a search (if you have an ATX).

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote author=Mummyman link=topic=68834.msg1191223#msg1191223 date=1170817315]
I've never heard of "wax" in Pennzoil. Overall it's a great oil for the money, certainly cheaper than the higher end. Some people swear by that, others Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Mobil 1. I personally use Mobil 1 in my engine and transmission. The car runs extremely smooth and gas mileage is excellent. I know recently there has been some big deal made over at bobistheoilguy.com forums about Mobil, but from everything I have read there and elsewhere, it doesn't make me believe it's an inferior oil in anyway.
The bottom line is there is no right answer. Quite honestly if you change your oil every 3-5k with either dino or synthetic, your engine will last 200k plus and you will likely never have a oil related issue. Stick with the pennzoil and you will be just fine. If you go with Quaker State, Mobil, Castrol, whatever...you will be just fine. I certainly wouldn't sweat it. The transmission on the other hand...if you aren't schooled on that, do a search (if you have an ATX).
[/quote]

some smart words here. People put too much stock in brand. It all meets the same EPA regulations.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Exactly. I love those sites that show an engine with 250k of use and the inside of the engine is pratically brand new looking. I always think "well...that's great...now what about the rusted out body?" I personally use synthetic for the bump in mileage, and more importantly the longer change interval. If I lived in Cali I wouldn't care changing it every 3 months, in Chicago it's a different story.
It's just like anything else though. People will argue till they are blue in the face about this is better than that. At the end of the day, it's normally all the same shit.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=68834.msg1191057#msg1191057 date=1170812036]
I got really nervous when I ran PP for 7k miles. When i drained the oil it looked nasty.
[/quote]

lol, what did you expect after 7k of hard driving?

[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=68834.msg1191170#msg1191170 date=1170815823]
Royal Purple FTW!
[/quote]

Royal Purple FTL! They still continue to use Sodium Sulfonate in their oil which has a tendency to emulsify water and is agressive toward yellow metals. Great marketing and gimmick, poor product.

[quote author=Mummyman link=topic=68834.msg1191223#msg1191223 date=1170817315]
[/quote]

I would assume that the "wax" he is referring to are paraffins or otherwise known as polymers that are added to the oil to give it multi-viscosity. Very few base stocks are pure enough to achieve multi-vis without the use of polymers. Thus nearly all oils have them.
The Mobil1 fuss was that Mobil changed from a PAO basestock to a group III without lowering the price or disclosing it on the packaging. In 22 years of working on/around cars I have seen only 2 or 3 vehicles with an oil related failure when the vehicle had oil changes every 3k. Ironically, they all were Toyotas. Last month Toyota settled a class action lawsuit on several million vehicles that were affected by this very issue.

[quote author=edrection link=topic=68834.msg1191264#msg1191264 date=1170818434]
some smart words here. People put too much stock in brand. It all meets the same EPA regulations.
[/quote]

The EPA is concerned with the Environment ( go figure, lol ) , not the well being of your vehicle. Thus the removal of Phosphorus from our oil even though it is one of the primary anti-wear componets.
Oils are like most things in life...you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Was that the issue of the "oil sludge" buildup Maudi? It's funny that a company that spouts off about it's reliablity has such problems.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=Mummyman link=topic=68834.msg1191352#msg1191352 date=1170819809]
Was that the issue of the "oil sludge" buildup Maudi? It's funny that a company that spouts off about it's reliablity has such problems.
[/quote]

Yeah, it was mostly in Camrys and Avalons and a few models of the Lexus. The 3.0 was a sludge MONSTER! However, we (most people in the industry) knew about it and recommended 2k oci's and those cars were fine. That engine was literally too damn tight, with an inadequate pcv system.
You want to know the secret of Toyotas reliability? It's maintenance. Plain and simple, the Japs realize that if you maintain a car it will last. So while the American car builders were giving us Dexcool ( what an effin joke!) the Japs were still recommending 24mo coolant change intervals, go figure.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yeah I hear that. My girlfiend was bragging to me how her Monte Carlo doesn't need any mainenance besides oil changes. Plugs 100k, Coolant 150k (yeah ok), everything else 100k or more.
At the same time, I had the dealer do a coolant flush at 35k (and every 2 years after), change my transmission fluid frequently, will change the plugs at 75k, etc. In short, a shorter timetable for maintenance.
I told her come talk to me if that Monte busts 100k. She will have alot of problems on her hands, in my view.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I've heard good things about PP but personally I'd never use it, they earned themselves a reputaton for crazy amounts of sludge BITD, while I realize intellectually that the PP of today has nothing in common with the garbage that Arnold Palmer used to whore himself out for my early habits aren't going to change.

When I first started driving I used Castrol GTX, when I switched to Synthetic I went to Mobil1, since it appears that Mobil1 is no longer synthetic it looks like I'll have to switch to something else when I run out of the stuff I have. Though the verdict seems to still ne out as to whether Mobil1 0wXX weights (0w20, 0w30 & 0w40) are still true synthetics so that could be an option.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[/quote]

That's about the lamest comment I've ever heard about an oil. What was so nasty about it? It's oil that's been run 7K, what were you expecting? And just so you're aware, color is not a valid indicator of an oil's condition or performance.

Some people need to quit living in the past and realize it's 2007. Today's oils (even Pennzoil) are far superior to what was used years ago when those rumors about Pennzoil started. I run Platinum in my 3 for 7500K miles at a time. Based the first UOA, I could have run it even longer because it was still performing as should be, but I'm sticking to 7500K for warranty requirements. If I wasn't running Platinum, I wouldn't think twice about using their dino oil for 5K OCI's.

[quote author=Smeagol J link=topic=68834.msg1190915#msg1190915 date=1170809809]
[/quote]

Don't listen to people that don't know what they are talking about. Platinum has proven to be a great oil at a great price. When you can find it on sale or get it with a rebate, it's by far the best bang for the buck on the market. Use it with confidence and sleep well at night!

[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=68834.msg1191170#msg1191170 date=1170815823]
Royal Purple FTW!
[/quote]

If you do a search, you'll see that SiXX proved otherwise. There are much better options out there, especially when you consider the price.

[quote author=raitchison link=topic=68834.msg1191429#msg1191429 date=1170821309]
When I first started driving I used Castrol GTX, when I switched to Synthetic I went to Mobil1, since it appears that Mobil1 is no longer synthetic it looks like I'll have to switch to something else when I run out of the stuff I have. Though the verdict seems to still ne out as to whether Mobil1 0wXX weights (0w20, 0w30 & 0w40) are still true synthetics so that could be an option.
[/quote]

For me personally, I care more about the price to performance ratio. The simple fact that Mobil1 switched to a cheaper basestock while raising their prices and also trying to hide that switch, has turned me off. While it might perform just as good as it used to, there's no way I'm paying the price of Mobil1 when they are cheaper oils that perform just as good, if not better.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=68834.msg1191769#msg1191769 date=1170851779]
[/quote]

That's about the lamest comment I've ever heard about an oil. What was so nasty about it? It's oil that's been run 7K, what were you expecting? And just so you're aware, color is not a valid indicator of an oil's condition or performance.

Some people need to quit living in the past and realize it's 2007. Today's oils (even Pennzoil) are far superior to what was used years ago when those rumors about Pennzoil started. I run Platinum in my 3 for 7500K miles at a time. Based the first UOA, I could have run it even longer because it was still performing as should be, but I'm sticking to 7500K for warranty requirements. If I wasn't running Platinum, I wouldn't think twice about using their dino oil for 5K OCI's.
[/quote]

My engine was not turning over very well in the cold prior to me changing out the oil. Trust me I wasn't worried because of the color of the oil, I was worried because the way my engine was starting up in the cold weather didn't seem normal.

But, the oil did look like shit when I drained it.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I go 5k or over with my cavalier with dyno. The manual says to go 7500 unless your in extreme driving conditions, which Im not.

3000 oil change was made up by Jiffy Lube to do more oil changes and by the oil companies to sell more oil.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=68834.msg1191934#msg1191934 date=1170860273]
I go 5k or over with my cavalier with dyno. The manual says to go 7500 unless your in extreme driving conditions, which Im not.

3000 oil change was made up by Jiffy Lube to do more oil changes and by the oil companies to sell more oil.
[/quote]

Hate to break it to ya Ed, but Chicago is the definition of severe driving conditions!

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=68834.msg1191974#msg1191974 date=1170862069]
I drive all highway. No dusty roads, no towing, no short trips.
[/quote]

No smog, no temps over 80 or under 32 deg either , I'm sure. lol
Didn't you get pulled over the other night on a short trip to the store?
It's your car so I really couldn't care less if you ever change the oil but your logic is severly flawed,especially since you now have a turbo.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I said in my cavalier. If you dont care then STFU and stop replying to my comments. I rarely see you contribute positively to a conversation here.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts