Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from the auto body shop and I noticed my pearl white paint is yellowish in sunlight. I don't remember how the paint looked like before going into the shop but is this normal? I also notice the paint is really really rough. Is it because I need to wax it or clay bar it?

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
sounds like they got over spray on your car. I'd take some goo gone and go over he rough surface and try to see if anything comes off. Or take it back to them and be like WTF

·
Registered
266 Posts
is this during midday or sunrise/sunset? If it's the latter, I'm sure it's just because of the light. Otherwise, go back to the body shop and say WTF MAN! haha.

·
Registered
155 Posts
it's the pearl dont worry. if you notice cadillacs (who have hardcore expensive pearl paint jobs) their cars are nearly green with all the pearl chips. so dont worry the yellow is normal

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sun right now is yellow and not bright white like the sun in summer so maybe that is the reason. I'll inspect the paint again on another day.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can check with a White LED flashlight if you have one. You can get one at Sport Chalet (or any other sporting goods store in the camping section) if you don't have one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=dannySEE link=topic=139991.msg3018179#msg3018179 date=1238048578]
You can check with a White LED flashlight if you have one. You can get one at Sport Chalet (or any other sporting goods store in the camping section) if you don't have one.
[/quote]

I have a white cree flashlight. I'll try your method.

·
Registered
29 Posts
White is notorious for being the WORST colour to try and match. You'd think it would be the easiest but it's actually the worst one. I work in the aluminum architectural industry, whenever we paint aluminum white we always paint everything on a building in one shot (if possible), becuase even using the same batch of paint in 2 different setups can cause noticable variations in colour.
Sorry I know that doesn't help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It sure does.

I have a 09 CWP hatch and it is very yellow compared to other whites i see on the roads. Like mentioned before it depends on the position of the sun/light hitting it. I recently got the parts plaza eyelids (painted CWP) and the color is very off. My car is much more "yellow" with the pearl overcoat. I know now it is definately something to watch out for and may buy all furture external mods that I wanted painted without the paint, and later take them all in at once to a paint shop and try to get them color matched.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts