Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? Passing on highways is great. But i feel that passing power uphill for the MZ3 was pretty mediocre. I was doing 80 km/h on an uphill, and an integra passed me going 100... i tried to catchup but it took me a good while (6-8 seconds, perhaps?) to overtake that car.

Any experience, guys?

·
Registered
744 Posts
If the Integra was a manual transmission and your 3 was an automatic, you probably didn't have a chance since a manual can select its gear and use the torque without having to slam on the gas.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was driving back from Whistler couple of week ago. Got stuck in a convoy. The next passing lane was on any incline (not sure what %, but I think more than 10%). I was doing 80 in 4th, dropped into 3 and I was above 100 instantly. bye bye convoy

·
Registered
581 Posts
I live in the in the San Francisco Bay Area of California and if there is one thing we have in abudance, it's steep hills.

I feel that the Mazda 3 has adequate passing power on inclines. Trust me when I say that driving through the streets of San Francisco with a manual will begin to tire you out during stop and go traffic through it's steep hilly streets. I have a 5-spd manual sedan with the 2.3 liter engine in it. I have no problems passing most other cars on steep inclines. I usually pass slower vehicles on inclines when I can because I hate having to stop and go on hills.

What kind of car do you have rsx_r04?

If you have an automatic and you were driving in automatic mode, you wouldn't stand a chance of passing that integra if it was a manual. If you used your manumatic shifter, you might have had a chance. If you have the 3i sedan, well, from my test drive of it, it doesn't have enough get-up-and-go like the 3s.

And the other question that begs to be asked, what kind of Integra was it? If it was the rare Type-R Integra, well you could forget about beating it with a stock Mazda 3s. If it was turbo'ed or modified for any more power, that could also be the case. But then again, if the Integra's intention was to do a flyby and keep on accelerating, it would of course, taken you 6-8 or even more seconds to catch up to him.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Titanium Dragon said:
What kind of car do you have rsx_r04?
And the other question that begs to be asked, what kind of Integra was it?
I was (test) driving the "i", i believe. The 2.0 litre GS.
The car certainly feels slower, but i'm assuming it's much faster than it feels (?). Oh, another thing is that it feels as if it's as roomy as a Camry or an Accord. Has anyone else notice that?! It surely didn't feel like a sub-compact!
The Integra was certainly not the type R. It was probably a GS-R. Oh well. I did end up passing it! And that's the bottom line. :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AK/47 said:
I was driving back from Whistler couple of week ago. Got stuck in a convoy. The next passing lane was on any incline (not sure what %, but I think more than 10%). I was doing 80 in 4th, dropped into 3 and I was above 100 instantly. bye bye convoy
Funny thing, AK/47, the hill in question is in Burnaby! I was riding up @ SFU, and we all know how many riced up civics and integras there are up there, eh!
Do you go to SFU?

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you don't feel like you're going fast enough, downshift! Took me a bit to realize it in the ST, but it works very well.

·
Registered
581 Posts
rsx_r04 said:
I was (test) driving the "i", i believe. The 2.0 litre GS.
The car certainly feels slower, but i'm assuming it's much faster than it feels (?). Oh, another thing is that it feels as if it's as roomy as a Camry or an Accord. Has anyone else notice that?! It surely didn't feel like a sub-compact!
The Integra was certainly not the type R. It was probably a GS-R. Oh well. I did end up passing it! And that's the bottom line. :D
Well, that explains alot. The "i" is slower, but can probably still beat a Civic. I particularly didn't like how the "i" felt, but then again, I'm in California where we get the slightly gimped "i" @ 144hp rather than the 148hp other places get. Silly Californian emission regulations. If they want to reduce air pollution in this state, they should regulate SUV's more, but with our current governator (Arnold), he drives a Hummer so I don't see that coming to pass anytime soon.

If you were to test drive the "s" Mazda 3 sedan, you'll notice that the 2.3 liter definitely provides more pickup and go. And if you can, drive a manual or learn how to. Benefits of a manual transmission are less power loss through the transmission (Mazda automatics/slushboxes are known to suck and reduce power output to the wheels) and complete driver control of the gear selection.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
rsx_r04 said:
Funny thing, AK/47, the hill in question is in Burnaby! I was riding up @ SFU, and we all know how many riced up civics and integras there are up there, eh!
Do you go to SFU?
You tested the GS at SFU? (Or was that AK/47?)
SFU = riced up everything.
SFU parking lot = Vancouver Auto Show
There's so many expensive and/or modded cars up there... it's crazy!!

But glad to hear the MZ3 can do 4th gear and not get weak :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dugrant153 said:
You tested the GS at SFU? (Or was that AK/47?)
Yes, it was me. Once again, driving uphill on the 2.0 litre engine was pretty average. Didn't look like the car is too powerful, but then again, i wasn't pressing it.

dugrant153 said:
SFU parking lot = Vancouver Auto Show
There's so many expensive and/or modded cars up there... it's crazy!!
Hahah... very true. I just saw a Mercedez SL55 AMG on the parking lot. :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts