Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I pulled the passenger seat belt out all the way so that I could fasten some cargo to the seat. As far as I know this is something normal, pull it out and when it goes back in it's locked so that you can adjust it and fasten something like a child seat.

I drove to my destination and removed the cargo but when I let the seat belt go it would not retract. If I pull it I can't get any more slack because it's locked, and it's not all the way out now. So now my passenger seat belt is dangling and it doesn't go in or come out any more.

Is this a safety thing? Is there something I can do or did it break?

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
sounds unsafe if u were to put someone in that seat. i would take it to the dealer if its still under warranty.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=kdmxdgt link=topic=70721.msg1242519#msg1242519 date=1172791824]
sounds unsafe if u were to put someone in that seat. i would take it to the dealer if its still under warranty.
[/quote]

Yeah I can't take anyone in the front seat. I will take it to the dealer next week but it is out of warranty.. :( 2000 miles out of warranty. I was going to try and take the pillar cover out and check if it might be tangled or something inside. There's an airbag sensor in there that makes me want to think if I really want to do that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was an easy fix. I took out the scuff plates and the B-Pillar trim using these:

Front Scuff Plate
http://www.icestormdesign.com/mwcc/mazda/manual/esicont/en/srvc/html/B3E091768710W01.html#wp1025486

Rear Scuff Plate
http://www.icestormdesign.com/mwcc/mazda/manual/esicont/en/srvc/html/B3E091768730W01.html#wp1025486

B-Pillar Lower Trim
http://www.icestormdesign.com/mwcc/mazda/manual/esicont/en/srvc/html/B3E091768220W01.html#wp1025486

And I got access to the seat belt reel. It wasn't tangled, but I moved the reel with my hands and it clicked so it was still in ALR so I moved it a little and then it unlocked and allowed me to pull it out completely. It was still in ALR mode but it retracted and it is now back to ELR. I don't think this poses a security issue since the seat belt locks if I pull it hard like it should but I will ask the dealer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Resurrecting this very old thread. Does anyone have pics/walkthrough on how to take the panels off to access the seat belt mechanism. I have the same problem where my passenger seat belt is in the locked position. It's partially out and won't retract.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
If you're referring to the front seats (sedan and hatch) you must unfortunately remove the entire ceiling panel out the rear, which.. sucks and can be damaged. Otherwise they mostly just pop out when you remove the pop pins.

You might be able to get away without having to remove the ceiling if you just tilt it by first removing the scratch guards on the floor board of the doors (both side doors; front and rear), at which point you should see pop pins at the bottom piece that can be removed, and IIRC one in the middle of it somewhere down low, and then I believe the pillar one just comes off via popping it out of place; just be warned, the top is underneath the roof panel so you can still damage it if you aren't careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts