Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe this. Had my 3 for less than a month before I rolled poor thing. It was my first accident in 5-6 years. In fact, it wasn't until my drive back from getting the 3 that I got my first speeding ticket in a long time. Anyways, I'm now stuck with a badly caved in roof, front doors that need glass, a completely destroyed wheel, shattered windshield, and bumpers, fenders, quarter panels and rear doors that are salvageble but...dented. Not to mention the sick feeling that this happened at all and that I'll probably never get it back to the same shape it was in. The interior is still perfect. Mechanically, it runs, though I have read about the weak motor mounts. The transmission may have shifted due to the lateral g's (the shifter was leaning) but it was driven the few yards onto the trailer. So, I'm wondering if I should try to salvage the car and find the replacement parts (as cheap as possible) or part it out, recoup some cash and start again over. I've been reading this forum ever since I started considering the 3 as my replacement to my old 93 240sx some 5-6 months ago. Certainly one of the better forums out there and the best one dedicated to the 3. Unfortunately, THIS is my first post. I'm not exactly sure this is the best or right place to post so move as needed but I was hoping you guys and gals might have some advice as to what to do. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear. Looks like the car held up well at least. Weird that the moonroof didnt shatter. Im guessing you dont have full coverage? All that damage would cost way too much to fix. Not to mention the car will never feel the same way again, especially if it has powertrain damage. You'd probably be best off parting it out if you dont have insurance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I also think you parting it out would be wise since you'd at least be able to make a good chunk of change, if insurance isn't covering it. In fact.. I want dibs on a few small things. :D Even as you say, it will never be the same again.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That is very unfortunate! I assume you at least escaped major injury.

I'm sure there will be plenty of us around here who'll want small things; but idk what kind of luck you'll have recouping your investment. Do you have access to a shop and ability to complete major repairs yourself?

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyones' replies. I did escape major harm. Everyone in the car did, in fact. I do have access to a shop but all of the work would be done by myself and my brother in law. He says definetely fixable, just a lot of work. But, I'll probably need a whole car that has rear end damage to pull parts off of. I'm beginning to think that I should just pass on this labor to someone else and sell the car as is. I'd lose some money but I lost money the second I hit that curb. I'll post more pics soon. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And some more pics. Notice in the 1st pic the driver side rear door does not close all the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Did you come to rest upright? Frankly I'm surprised there's not more damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it's odd that the moonroof glass was unbothered. And no, unfortunately I did not have full coverage. Should have gone that route, at least collision, but...what's done is done. I did end up on my wheels but facing the opposite direction of travel and on a slope, suprised I didn't go around again. I think I'm set on letting her go but how do you fellow drivers think I should do it: by parts or the whole piece. And, how much do you think I should ask? Thanks again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think you can pull in more money by parting it, especially with the help of this forum.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Definately. That car is worth more in peices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just rolled once though I'm suprised it wasn't more. We ended up with the driver side pointed down the slope. It could have gone around a couple more times before the land straightened out. Also, I've decided to repair the damages. I replaced the broken wheel and drove her around some yesterday. Powertrain was fine. The stick shifter seems to lean a little towards me but shifting action was smooth and unchanged from before. Now I either need parts or a parts car.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You know, that structural damage is going to be a hell of a lot to fix! Possibly totaled in an insurance company's eyes. :/ Good luck!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I Bet you could sell the engine, and a lot of parts in there. Also the interior plastics, and parts, etc...

It will be a lot of work getting part numbers for everything and shipping but you might be suprised how much you'll make back.

At least your car didn't get stolen when you didn't have it covered. Then it's a complete loss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts