Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i park, i usually leave my car in neutral and set the hand brake, but i've also heard that leaving the car in first gear or reverse and setting the hand brake is also proper practice. which one is right? (for manual transmissions only)

·
Registered
947 Posts
On a steep hill, it is recommended that you set the car in 1st gear in addition to setting the parking brake. When parked on flat ground, set just the parking brake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just had this same conversation with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. I live in Dallas, and here in Dallas everything is flat. There is no such thing as a steep hill. Personally, I don't like leaving the car in gear - I never have. Until I find a reason to do so, I won't.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I rarely use my parking brake. If I am on a steep hill or something then I will use it. For the most part I leave the car in first gear. Always have.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
LeeLee said:
On a steep hill, it is recommended that you set the car in 1st gear in addition to setting the parking brake. When parked on flat ground, set just the parking brake.
Ding ding. Me personally, Im gettin used to leaving it out of gear all the time. I plan to slap a remote start in. So far Ive only left it in once.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I have a remote starter so leaving it in neutral and only using the parking brake is the only option. Anyway I always have done that.

I never wanted to have someone trying to park or just putting all the stress of the car weight on the transmission. With the addition of putting the parking brake I know this takes care of that but like I said, I just have always used my parking brake with the wheels turned toward the sidewalks if I'm parked on a hill.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Actually, the proper way to park on inclines and declines is:

If its incline, turn the wheel to the left. The rear of the wheel will be against the sidewalk.

If its decline, turn the wheel to the right. The front of the wheel will be against the sidewalk.

That is straight ripped off from the Colorado Motor Vehicle Permit Testing Handbook.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
vaBooM said:

If its incline, turn the wheel to the left. The rear of the wheel will be against the sidewalk.

If its decline, turn the wheel to the right. The front of the wheel will be against the sidewalk.

That is straight ripped off from the Colorado Motor Vehicle Permit Testing Handbook.
Correct...same thing here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
M3-GT said:
vaBooM said:

Also incline leave in 1st and decline leave in reverse

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Murrato said:
M3-GT said:
vaBooM said:

Also incline leave in 1st and decline leave in reverse
You could.. but the handbook refers to an auto. Then it goes on saying it is exactly the same for manual. Assuming your handbrake is in good working order, you shouldnt have to leave it in any gear.

But if you pull up and the car moves forward slowly, slap it in gear.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would always use the parking brake, no option. A manual transmission can slip out of gear and coast into an accident. A friend of mine that lived in Virginia, at the time, came outside after a test in college and saw a truck stuck into the driver's side door of her car. The guy put his truck in gear and didn't put the parking break on. Sometime during the test, it slipped out of gear, rolled down a "flat" parking lot, and plowed into her car.

I always use the parking brake and sometimes combine it with putting the transmission in gear if I park on a steep incline. If you are parked on any incline, your car will move slightly with only the parking brake on when you first step off the brake pedal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Generally I was told to leave it in neutral with the parking break and like others have said in first on a steep incline yes but it depends on which way your facing on the incline...up/1st...down/reverse...this way your in an opposing gear from the direction gravity wants to take you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was always taught to leave the car in gear, I remember on my earlier cars it clearly stated when parked to leave the car in 1st gear as it locked the diif/axle. You obviously use the parking brake as well and the tire thing is blatantly obvious if you ever park on a hill. If I'm on a sharp incline with a MT I probably wouldn't leave it into gear unless the curb I am using as a safety isn't tall enough to stop the car from rolling just to minimize strain.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i leave it in 1st, and of course use the parking brake (making sure the brake is holding the car, and not the tranny)

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Mine as well leave the car in gear and use the e-brake. Sometimes in really cold weather you should not use your parking brake because it will freeze up to the rotors, that can be very shitty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts