Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the part of the brakes you can see through the rims? I think they're call the calipers... calibers... something like that (man I'm a car newb). Anyway... those things you often see painted a color.

Would that look rediculously riced on a MZ3 if you got them painted to match the car color? Do they use the powdercoating on that? And how much does something like that cost?

I know on a lot of cars they wouldn't be able to match the Mazda paint too... but hopefully they'd have something close.

EDIT: Thread title

NOTE: Feel free to discuss the "how to" aspect of it :twisted:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
They sell spray paint just for them

You can also search on ebay for it

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
actually i want red calipers on mine haha =D..makes it look a bit sporty imo

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
actually i want red calipers on mine haha =D..makes it look a bit sporty imo
Yep. Mine will be done this Spring....with the cold weather we have right now I have no choice. I also have chosen Red :wink:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like a simple enough job to do, gotta remove all 4 tires thats kinda bothersom, dont think I have a jack to jack it up on that would allow that but I'm sure I could find a way. Also the no driving it for 24 hours after painting kinda sucks.

So red, regardless of body color of the car, is the "coolest" option? heh.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Best to do it after 1000miles and before 5000.

Reason being is dust settles and on hot surfaces it tends to stick for life. I did the brake calipers at like 15k on my Jetta.. and I had to scrub the crap out of them with brake cleaner to make sure the paint stuck good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the benefit to waiting after the first 1000 miles? Just to allow the car to break in before messing with it?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
get white then powercoat your rim white.. it will be awesome looking on your blue.

as for the orange, i would go for gold with a set of gunmetal rims or gold (but not bling bling) rims.

but it will be sooooo riced.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hah! Thanks for the adivice but I think I'm going to avoid putting anything gold on my car :) I want people to subtly notice the calipers and think "Ah... nice."... I dont want them to be blinded by them and think "Ugh!... rice!"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fobby_Monkey said:
get white then powercoat your rim white.. it will be awesome looking on your blue.
Wouldn't powdercoating a rim white make it a sponge for brake dust? Why not just paint the rims black?
:D
Just curious. I've never personally seen attractive white rims on a car - they always look cheap to me...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
trolldrengi said:
Fobby_Monkey said:
Wouldn't powdercoating a rim white make it a sponge for brake dust? Why not just paint the rims black?
:D
Just curious. I've never personally seen attractive white rims on a car - they always look cheap to me...
My g/f will vouch for: White rims suck! They are a pain in the ass to keep clean. She used to spend at least 15 mins a rim at shows on the Jetta.

As for waiting for 1000 miles: break in. Gives the brakes an ample amount of time to settle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts