Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I want to paint my summer rims instead of buying a new set. They'll be almost new then. But my question is - what steps do I need to take in order for these to turn out right? I want to do a flat black on these rims:

I know there are a few members who have painted a/m rims, and I've asked questions but no one reads their threads.

Do I just need to sand, primer and paint? Or can I skip primering alltogether? If anyone who has painted their wheels reads this, can you give me a little detail? Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would prime it. No matter what you do, the paint will eventually come off, which is why I had mine powdercoated instead. I've heard of people who have painted their wheels themselves and had it last for up to three years though so I guess its up to you. It looks like your wheels are bare metal right now. If thats the case, just make sure the surface is very clean before you sand/prime/paint.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered powdercoating but I know in the end the color will chip off regardless.

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
ask mazduh, he painted his white rattlecan style. . .

I'd powdercoat if I were you, its WAY more durable than any paint

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually think I posted in Mazduh's (he has a white hatch, right?) thread asking him about the painting process.. he never read it i'm assuming.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
his neighbor backed into his car, so he's thinking about that more than his freshly painted wheels I'm guessing.

My recommendations:

Definitely use a primer, I'll get to why in a bit. Before priming, prepare the wheel surface by scuffing it up with some medium grit (200 grit or so) sandpaper, this will help it stick better. Another friend of mine prepped by using a product called "airplane stripper" (didn't make that up) from advance auto parts, and it made the clearcoat on his wheel basically disolve, it prepped it really well. Are the wheels you are painting clearcoated? Its kinda hard to tell from the pics. I'd use the stripper first, then follow with sandpaper if you wanna totally overkill.

Realize that if you are painting them black, and they get a chip, it will show through silver, so I'd go overboard with the prep to make sure the paint sticks as well as possible. All of these steps (stripping any clearcoat off, sanding the surface, primering) all are a way of increasing the adhesion ability of the paint and making the surface smoother. You can just spray paint directly on without even cleaning really, but it won't stick right and chips will be likely.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
the airplane stripper is just a really strong paint thinner basically.

powdercoating is much better than using a spray can. a place by me does all the prep work, and powdercoating for 200$ for all 4 wheels.

airplane stripper
200 grit sandpaper
like 5 light coats of primer
1000grit sandpaper
color
clearcoat

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure they are clearcoated. rubyred, how have your friend's painted rims held up? thanks for the tips and I'll look for the stripper next time I go to Advanced.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
they hold up pretty well, just like any other wheel finish they will pit if you don't clean them often enough, but a big advantage of flat black wheels is you can always touch them up with a sharpie

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ yeah, exactly.. I thought about even going bronze with them but that would be a hard color to match up if i chipped one.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Hey steph,

Like rubyred said, use a 200 grit sand paper to scuff it up a little.. really, what you want to do is take the clear coat off.. but i would also use a finer grit after that. prepping something to paint is the most important part of doing a project like this. the finer grit you use of sandpaper, the smoother the finish will be when the final product comes out. the 200 grit may look like it's smooth 'enough'... but that's not how you have to look at it. just remember the higher grit # you use, the smoother finish you will get. Also, I would probably look into renting a compressor and a sprayer (in case you don't have either). Better yet buy one if you have the cash. I'm looking into getting one myself so that I can paint everything I get for my car.

PS - I just relized this thread was from January! :hide:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts