Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week while I've been at work, my car has been torn apart in my garage. My awesome friend Lisa (she has a 6), my boyfriend Tim (killroy) and his mom have been painting my wheels. They've done an awesome job! I absolutely love them. And yes, I know my car is dirty. Its been raining. I don't want to hear it. :p

But enough talk, its time for pics!

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Interesting that you did a two tone... kind of like some Konig's I've seen. I'm interested in seeing them mounted and shined up as well. I also think its neat that you were able to do it while the rubber was still on the rim. That gives me some inspiration to do mine, because I've wanted to do it as well, but I wasn't sure if anyone had done that without taking the tires off the rim.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
very nice, i am thinking about getting mine power coated gun metal, were did you get that mazda banner in your garage?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The paint we used was Duplicolor Wheel Paint, about 6 coats of that, and Duplicolor Wheel Clear Coat, about 10+ coats of that. Since Lisa and Tim were both off work I could drive the 6 to work, so its still sitting in the garage.

I also forgot to add that the centercaps are black as well. They took the Mazda emblem off them and painted behind them.

They'll be mounted today. We've been letting the paint cure as long as possible.

We used 400 grit sand paper to prep them, and cleaned them off before hand.

As for doing them while still on the rim, that idea was actually my friend Brian's. Index cards around the edge. Not easy to get the tape to stick, but works well.

I'll post more pics when I get them mounted today. While the car was out of commission I also smoked the sidemarkers and rear reflectors. Those look awesome as well.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
queitly and patiently waits for isnstalled pics... :whistle:

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
I kind of like that spoke pattern better than the 17" ones. Of course I like the 17's, but would just like the little spokes instead. :(

I think I'd have done the color opposite so it was just shadowed on the inside of the spokes, but non-the-less that's an awesome shine you guys got on them. Oh, and wonderful job taping stuff off..... fantastic.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Can't wait for this pics...this is all a matter of opinion, but I think it would have looked better if you reversed the color scheme and painted the insides of the spokes black and left the faces silver. Who knows though...maybe the picture I have in my head is wrong and it would be ugly.

Edit...I just realized icspots had posted something similar...whoops, looked over that. At least what I was envisioning wasn't something crazy that only I thought would look good.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
nice nice!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So since the only daylight I see right now is out my window at my desk, I stopped on the way home before it got too dark to snap this

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
damn, those are hawt
hotter than expected even

i give it... 3 thumbs up, that says a lot considering i only have 2 thumbs, now I just need to paint my stock 17's black

1 - 20 of 33 Posts