41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
[quote author=fbrdbc link=topic=193102.msg4185732#msg4185732 date=1329025351]
boom

[/quote]

OMGSEX! Can you post a close-up, too? Did you leave any chrome in there? Looks like you also have some angel eyes, yes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
after doing it, I wouldn't be afraid at all. I really had alot of control of the heat gun, and never once felt like I was going to melt anything. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

GrifN
All the chrome is gone, what you see is the natural bend in the lens cover reflecting outside light back. I painted the turn signal and projector housings and tinted the turn signal reflector and high beam housings. The high beam reflector is just slightly blue from black and matches the rest as it is not noticeable. I wish I would of went ahead and painted this black as well, as I dont need the highs due to the new bi-xenon function. Oh yeah Installed umnitza angel eyes and TRS bi-xenon retro quick system. Pics...

Sorry for crappy cell pics

btw lights much whiter in person

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you not going to do a bi-xenon setup, I wouldnt paint the high beam housing at all. Even tinting it seriously downed the intensity of the stock high beams, but if you do bixenon the stock highs get drowned out anyway

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also after a week, a car wash, and some inclement weather ive had no moisture problems. Just get you a new strip of buytl rubber from TRS and you'll be more than adequate. I also used some silicone II, because im uber paranoid about these things. My car is also relatively new and the seal was very pliable/foregiving

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
[quote author=fbrdbc link=topic=193102.msg4186452#msg4186452 date=1329176333]
if you not going to do a bi-xenon setup, I wouldnt paint the high beam housing at all. Even tinting it seriously downed the intensity of the stock high beams, but if you do bixenon the stock highs get drowned out anyway
[/quote]

Good to know. I'd probably paint the high beams anyway, just because I don't like the chrome. I'm still not 100% sold on the angel eyes. I think I'm going to bake it open, paint everything, and reassemble. Later down the road, when I have a little more money, I will buy the TRS bi-xenon kit and re-bake it open to install those. I'll decide on angel eyes then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The largest part of the process is baking and painting. Installing the eyes and bi-xenon went relatively quickly. I wanted to do everything at once, so to only have to reuse the stock seal once. If I have to open them again for whatever reason, I will probably get new butyl seal. I'd say all in all I spent two and a half days doing this. If u decide to do all this work, I seriously recommend doing it all at once.

As far as the angel eyes, I wasn't really sold on them either, but i figured If I had the housing's open I would try em on to find out what they look like and if I didn't like them, i would just turn them off as they dont look bad just sitting in the housing. After having them on however, I really like them and they've grown on me. plus they give a very slight blue hue to my 4300K hids. Of the two mods however I definitely recommend the bi-xenon kit from TRS. TOTAL night and day performance difference.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah, I just don't have $300 to throw down right now. Plus like another $150 for the angel eyes? Can't do it. I'd rather do the relatively cheap mod of baking and painting and handle the TRS and angel eyes later. Trust me -- I'd love to be able to get that stuff. Just not in the cards at the moment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I definitely understand the money situation. I only purchased this stuff for my birthday. I think it would be a good experience just to bake and paint. Once you've done it, it isn't anywhere as daunting as people make it out to be. The biggest deal is resealing them. For this I recommend the butyl rubber from TRS. Talk to Matt there. He may tell you you dont even need it (depends on age of car/conditions)

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
[quote author=GrifN link=topic=193102.msg4182624#msg4182624 date=1328550757]
[quote author=akosiharold_510 link=topic=193102.msg4182107#msg4182107 date=1328400884]
here's mine.

[/quote]

Me likey! Too bad you didn't paint that reflector piece. Hahaha.

fbrdbc, did you ever crack the headlights??
[/quote]

I actually like the reflector, it almost looks to bland w/ it being painted. this is why I left mine in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
[quote author=fbrdbc link=topic=193102.msg4186402#msg4186402 date=1329170713]
after doing it, I wouldn't be afraid at all. I really had alot of control of the heat gun, and never once felt like I was going to melt anything. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
[/quote]

So, Did you bake them at all or just use a heat gun?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any one have any close up pics on a charcoal grey mz3? I have just ordered Enkei EKm3 rims in the gun metal and I want to see if black painted lights will go nice with the black rims. Especially once the emblems are blacked out and the tinted windows.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For those of you who have installed the bi-xenon from TRS, has anyone used just the xenon high bean function? How does it compare with the factory halogen highbeam and (not sure if anyone knows this one) how does it compare to the factory bi-xenon high beam?

For that matter, with the retro quick how does it compare overall to factory bi-xenon?

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I have yet to do this mod but I want to, along with blacking out the chrome rings on the OEM taillights. Chrome :rocket:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to black out the hi-beam area as well. I rarely use them. And I'm still on the fence about Angel Eyes.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Yeah, taillights are seam welded together, unless you are a doctor and have endless dremmel supplies and funding to back the possible destruction of your taillights... Don't do it lol.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts