Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've a read a few threads on these forums, and I've hit a stumbling block. I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help me.

I own a 2004 Mazda 3 2.0L non-CA with 170k miles. I have two concurrent codes that reoccur after a new drive cycle after being reset: P0446, P2404.

Here's what I've done so far. After every step, I waited an entire drive cycle to see of the codes came back. And they did.

(1) closed and retightened gas cap
(2) replaced gas cap with aftermarket equivalent (Stant); returned it and replaced with OEM after codes came back.
(3) cleaned EVAP system air filter behind right rear mud flap
(4) replaced leak detection pump (OEM Mazda)

After the hours I put in to drop the crossmember, I thought for sure that would fix the problem. It hasn't. Does anyone have an idea of where to try next? The concurrent P0446 has to be clue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Wes

·
Registered
187 Posts
both codes relate to a current draw problem on the evap pump
it seems it uses a change in current draw to determine whether valve has closed completely
have you tried measuring the current draw on this circuit
fault p0446 states valve is stuck closed
possible causes are damaged cov (whatever that is, change over valve????) in evap pump, short in wiring and faulty pcm
p2404 current change/time problem
possible causes are clogged air filter, bent evap hose, pcm fault
is it possible a kinked hose?
the only other thing you haven't changed yet is the PCM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I wouldn't think it would be a kinked hose, as there haven't really been any repairs done that would alter their position. Where do the hoses run?

I'm suspicious of the PCM as well, but at this point in mileage it's not worth the diagnostic time and/or replacement cost. If I clear the codes just before my annual NY emissions inspection, will the tech know it hasn't been through a complete drive cycle yet?

·
Registered
187 Posts
they will definitely know the codes were cleared, the scan tool shows drive cycle not completed
there are a few posts on here about emissions test and drive cycle
if you have a good multimeter you may be able to measure current draw with pump open and closed
i wonder if dealership computer may give a better diagnostic
may be worth a couple of hours labor

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It may be possible to sneak it through. NY allows for one readiness monitor to not be complete and have the car still pass. Usually EVAP is the last monitor to run so if you have a scan tool that can read which monitors have run you can stop driving it once all but EVAP have run. Then drive it to the shop to get it inspected. The other option is to have a shop look at it and run an EVAP leak test.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Sorry to bother you but just read your post that you dropped the rear crossmember to replace the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) trying to clear p2404 code. Could you share how you lowered the crossmember ?? Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts