Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that most automatic transmission car got an Overdrive gear on top of the regular gears. I was wondering if M3 manu-matic transmission have this feature?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If u put the gear in D, The 4th gear is the overdrive gear. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
There's a 4th gear?

·
Registered
773 Posts
There are actually 4 gears (yes, 4 in a 4 speed automatic as the Admin pointed out), plus an overdrive on top of the 4th gear. I can always tell when my auto gets into overdrive because the RPMs drop quite quickly and the car maintains speed.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Is there a button on the mazda3 to disable the overdrive? :?:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think SBTanMan got a little mixed up right here.
4 spd auto = 4 gears only!!

no extra overdrive gear on top! What u r talking about RPM dropping quickly after maintaining speed is happening is that when u maintaining speed, the computer recognizes that u are cruising the car.

So, the locking-up of the torque connverter kicks in, recognize that u no longer urge for more power, drops the rpm and let u save some fuel. (Still in the same 4th gear though)

U can see the gear number that u're in at the speedometer. The number is in digital format.

However, i heard that if u put to the manual-mode, if u're in the 4th gear, the car would not lock-up the torque converter and wont go into the "overdrive" that u're talking about.

Hope that clears up for ya :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm sure Dinu got the joke, but it seems the others just don't understand humor...please take back your vehicle and buy something more serious.

jeeze

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
digi0123 said:
I'm sure Dinu got the joke, but it seems the others just don't understand humor...please take back your vehicle and buy something more serious.

jeeze
Dinu sure did and had a quick chuckle :lol:

As for the O/D button, it should have one - my PRO has one. Of course, I wish it didn't (since I wanted a 5spd) :cry:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Is that what that drop in RPM is? Sorry, I thought that was the OD kicking in. This is my first automatic that I own, so I'm still getting used to how it all works. Shoot, now I'm really upset that we don't have a 5 speed automatic, like most cars in the sporty category have or are going to.

·
Registered
256 Posts
All and overdrive gear is is a gear with a ratio of less than 1:1. Almost all cars have at least one OD gear (auto and stick) and often 6 speeds and some 5 speed manuals actually have two- For example:

My Dad's 2003 Jeep Cherokee Laredo:

Transmission gear ratio (1st) 3.00
Transmission gear ratio (2nd) 1.67
Transmission gear ratio (3rd) 1.00<---- "Drive"
Transmission gear ratio (4th) .75 <---- OD
Transmission gear ratio (5th) .67 <---- OD
Transmission gear ratio (reverse) 3.00

So the only advantage over a standard 4 speed auto here is slightly better fuel economy at highway speed.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ok..so for our MZ3s

Transmission 5MT 4 AT Sport
Gear ratios: 1st 3.307 2.816
2nd 1.842 1.497
3rd 1.310 1.000
4th 0.970 0.725
5th 0.755 --

Reverse 3.166 2.648
Final drive 4.105 4.416

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so lemme get this straight, for the 4spd auto it has
1st
2nd
3rd
4th (OD)

OR
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
OD

OR
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Push over to D to get into OD mode?

and from what you guys said about no OD on/off button, i think that's a draw back, because with my current vehicle, i can do a quick pass over slower cars with just pressing my OD button to get a quick kick down. But then with an manu-matic, i guess all you need to do it's shift down a gear with a push of the shift lever.

and i heard that some of the newer manual tranmission got OD too right? like 5spd with OD, how does that work? unless i was seeing things?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
But i thought that some ppl posted that in manual mode 4th and if they push back to D, there's slight drop in rpm resulting more efficient with fuel.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The torque convertor doesn't lock up in manual mode, so when you shift it out of manual mode into Drive, it will lock up. If you want to pass a car, just either switch to manual mode or floor it and the transmission will downshift to the appropiate lower gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so to lockup the convertor after getting into 4th gear I need to push it into D drive? and this is for cruising right?

·
Registered
54 Posts
um, i thought overdrive was for automatic cars, if u floored it, say u were going uphill from dead stop, it goes in first, but u hit it hard, and it goes into overdrive, its like the gear bellow first. Im quite sure about this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts