Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know in the past Mazda has had mini-disc decks (I think for the mp3 at least). Do they still do that? Is there an option for one on the Mazda 6?

I'm hoping to get one for the 3, but I know an aftermarket solution could be tricky.

·
Registered
70 Posts
U.S. will come standard with AM/FM/CD with option of adding in-dash 6-cd changer and/or in-dash, full-logic auto-reverse cassette player. from the looks of it, no md player will be available.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Mini Disc really didn't make a BIG hit with US consumers. (yet) I like these alot better than the standard CD.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Sony has been saying "yet" since 1922. Forget MiniDisc... CD is the best quality, MP3 the best for fitting large amounts of music. MiniDisc falls somewhere between that's kinda pointless.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You mean 1992, right? :)

I've never seen a mini disc player in someone's house or car. Ever! Seen $3000+ speakers and HUGE TVs, but not a MD player...

What about you guys?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Mini Disc? Didn't that die with the 8track, beta, and cassette tape?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes. I was trying to make a joke. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I happen to own both home and portable mini-disc players. I like that I can make live recordings, I can bypass copy-protection by making analog recordings, I can store up to 320 minutes of audio on one minidisc, and unlike mp3 players (other than i-pod style devices) I don't have to upload new tracks from my PC every time I want to change the disc - I can bring as many mini-discs as I want. Much more practical than standard (say 64-128MB) mp3 players, especially on trips. Now, the I-pod is a different matter but supposedly those will get screwed over by copy protection in the near future, whereas I can always make copies of my Cd's on to minidiscs using an analog connection.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Hell when we become old farts the cd,md,mp3, will be 8tracks to our kids. They probaly use some kind of crystals or nickel size mcd. (Mirco compact disc) lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
Minidisc

Minidisc is one of the best inventions ever to hit the market.

500minutes on mine, 52 hours of music with a AA battery, $230 CDN bucks for the player. Amazing stuff. Now that's for the portable, as far as an in-car set, that's a waste of cash. Stick to the MP3 player :)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Re: Minidisc

factrzero said:
Minidisc is one of the best inventions ever to hit the market.

500minutes on mine, 52 hours of music with a AA battery, $230 CDN bucks for the player. Amazing stuff. Now that's for the portable, as far as an in-car set, that's a waste of cash. Stick to the MP3 player :)
Definitely! MDs are incredibly useful if you have an account with a subscription audio service like Rhapsody or Napster. $10/mo unlimited music + a decent MD recorder and you can record right to the Disc without paying money to burn the track, all completely digital. :wink:

I think the Mazda3 has the MD player as a DIO, Mazda's "module" system allows easy OEM sourced upgrades. Wait a couple months you'll probably see them on ebay for significantly less.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've only seen mini-discs being popular among musicians. I bought a portable player/recorder before CD-R's hit the market, now that you can play MP3 CD's I don't see a point for them myself.

But I have seen something where it looks like minidisc and mp3 players are an option in the 3. It's in the brochure at the US dealer I went to. I'm just wondering if it's something like a plug in for an adapter in the front. To me, that combined with a 6 disc changer would be great because then you could listen to whatever fromat you want no problem.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Audio Controls

The cassette/MD player would go in the slot between the audio adjustment knobs. I believe that small panel can be removed independently and replaced with one that allows for a cassette/MD port.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts