Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Mazda3 this weekend originally planning to pick it up after I get my G2 sometime in early-to-mid-April. However, today I was advised by the dealer that they expect to have it in and ready by the end of the week should I be interested in grabbing it early.

My main problem is that I haven't done alot of serious research into insurance as of yet. I'm 23 and obviously a new driver. I did some checking around early last week, and the best quote I have been able to find thus far for insurance (based on having a G2 license) is $232.97/month ($2795.64/year) with Belair Direct. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some feedback as to whether thissounds good. All other quotes I've gotten so far have been in the $3500-to-$4800/year range. My driving record is pretty much non-existent (with only a G1), but I haven't had any accidents or such.

I've tried contacting my parents insurence broker, but she no longer works for the company, and I was told it could be up to 2 weeks to get a quote.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
When you quoted those numbers I immediately said to myself "jump on it" and then I read where you were from. Rates in Toronto would be much, much higher. Look around, insurance is insurance, all policies are word for word the same except for extras that you can add on yourself (car rentals, etc).

·
Registered
23 Posts
saltorio, I'd advise using InsuranceHotline.com. Saved me a bundle. It's not one company.. they give you quotes from a BUNCH of different places. The service is < 20 if I remember correctly, but WELL worth it. Saved me at LEAST 1000 bucks.

Mark

·
Registered
773 Posts
Put it under your parents name!!!!!!

I called for a Mazda 3 GS + Sport package = $23,000 aprox.
Insurance was $2200. If I owned and was primary on the car.

---

I got my mom to call the insurance, she is 56 and has never owned a car in her life. She asked for a 3 Sport GT which is $26,000 aprox. Insurance was $950.80!!! That's like 113%+ cheaper!

---

With Belair Direct.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Only $237/mth in TO????

I'm paying $110-115/mth on the Maxima now, but on a new car I would be close to $300 I assume. Get it ASAP!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sycho gave you the best advice
put it under your parents name, preferably your moms if she has her license since females have a lower insurance rate that guys do
grrrrr

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I buy the car (which I've already signed the Vehicle Purchase Agreement for, and have full intentions of purchasing myself), can I have the insurance put under my parents name? If so, I assume I'd be second driver (once I get my G2 and require insurance of course)?

I Tried InsuranceHotline.com last night, but the best quote I got from them was $3200/year.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I believe you can put the insurance under your parents name, but it becomes obvious that you are trying to lower your payments.

When I will sign my papers I will be "Joint" owner of the '3' therefore I get to "own" the car and I can use my graduate reward, as well as dropping my insurance by alot!

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I was under 25, I have always used my parents name to buy insurance and putting my name as the 3rd driver (occasional driver), which save me alot of money. If you want to do the same thing, then your parents must be the owner of the vehicle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a related note, I was called today and advised that Belair Direct was lowering their rates by 10% effective today. I'm pretty sure this is a provincial thing (or was it federal). I remember reading about a 10% insurance rate cut that all insurance companies are required to pass onto their customers. Good timing, I must say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Insurance is crazy in Toronto. I was quoted by my bank which is Royal Bank.......$8,000+ for the year on a GT w/GFX pkg & 5spd :bitching: WTF is that? Granted, I do have two speeding tickets from summer 2001 but its getting just ridiculos

·
Registered
46 Posts
my best bet is to try and get my brother to insure it for me :cry: I might sound crazy but, I wanted my OWN independence with car payments and insurance. Oh well........have no choice but to keep searching

·
Registered
46 Posts
Btw, aren't Ontario car insurance rates supposed to decline by about 10 - 15% this spring/summer?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts