Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mazda6's 2.3L makes 160 hp and has a dual-exhaust system. On the other hand, the Mazda3's 2.3L also makes 160 hp, but only has a single-exhaust system. I always thought that dual-exhauts meant less blockage which resulted in an increase in power. How can both exhaust systems make the same numbers?

·
Registered
396 Posts
well, they're not exactly the same numbers
the i4 mazda6 puts out 155lb-ft of torque
while the 2.3L mazda3 puts out 150lb-ft.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
whats the point of putting another exhaust? extra weight haha...yes u may be able to let out more air...but if u let out too much air ...that would give you crappy results...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dinu is right, the dual exhaust is totally unnecessary for all four-cylinder engines. The four cylinders are 90 degree out of phase to each other: the first compress the fuel mixture, the second is expanding from the burning gas, the third evacuates exhaust gas, and the last aspire the intake gas, and it's rotate around. At anytime there is only *one* cylinder that rejects its exhaust gas, therefore one exhaust line is enough. And beside that, the 2.0-2.3L has 4-2-1 exhaust manifold before go through a common catalytic converter. Adding another exhaust is a waste of money, weight, maintenance cost, ...

If someone wants the cool look of the dual-exhaust, why don't they better use a pre-smoked tail of the pipe as fake exhaust. It's certainly a cheaper solution.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Merciles said:
How would it give you crappy results??
funkyfresh is thinking old school and back pressure maybe? these problems dont normally come up anymore with computer controlled fuel injected engines.
There isnt a good reason for dual pipes other than looks, I"ll admit they look cool and even helped sell me a 6 but are unnecessary.
Just bring an aftermarket exhaust out the center porsche style!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for clearing that up. Also, this fake smoked tailpipe sounds like a very good idea. T thought about doing it for my Protegé, but I would have to cut some of the plastic off, which I didn't want to do.

·
Banned
868 Posts
But we all know for sure, if any of us go with the Autoexe bumper....we'd DEFINATELY need dual pipes! ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
98LX said:
Thank you for clearing that up. Also, this fake smoked tailpipe sounds like a very good idea. T thought about doing it for my Protegé, but I would have to cut some of the plastic off, which I didn't want to do.
eww no, its not a good idea at all... fake dual exhaust is lame on any vehicle, i dont care how cool one thinks it looks!

and ya the y-piped quasi-dual system on the 6 is silly, it serve zero purpose! they should have learned from the Ford Taurus back in the late 90s... it switched from having a quasi-dual system on the Duratec cars to a single system (id have to dig around at work to find exactly when this happened)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I love the dual exhaust system. I don't care if its a Y-piped quasi-dual system. Sounds better and looks are important in a car to me If I'm going to slap my cash down. If these cars came stock with dual exhaust would you guys complain about it then??? NO. You would be happy and dancing around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The duals on the 6 are not true in a dual exhaust sense. only dual tips.

ATL...you seem like a car guy from the 6 forum. Have you ever seen a 4 banger with ture dual exhaust?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the old Qaud 4 H.O. (thats a GM engine for those of you who don't know) had daul exhaust. Obvioulsy a daul set-up would cost more and a single is probably enough.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dinu01 said:
Looks good, but serves no mechanical purpose. And that's the bottom line b/c ____________ said so. :)
What I meant was the principal of dual exhaust is to reduce back pressure from each bank of the engine and allow better flow. The exhaust combines into a single pipe behind the engine on the V6 Mz6. It doesn't split into two pipes until it is under the trunk.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the Accord's a true dual exhaust system? The I4 has one pine, whereas the V6 has two, so I would guess it does something.

·
Registered
481 Posts
98LX said:
Is the Accord's a true dual exhaust system? The I4 has one pine, whereas the V6 has two, so I would guess it does something.
nope its quasi as well... Honda just does that to visually distinguish the 4-cyl from the V6... something Mazda shoulda done with the 6!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you could tell the i and s apart at a glance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts