Mazda3 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This thread is absolutely crucial for anyone researching the car. And it offers validation for current owners. Congrats to all!

·
Registered
337 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=63380.msg1416369#msg1416369 date=1179366600]
:cheers:
[/quote]

Matt is the shiznit. :blue:

By the people, for the people...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Has anybody seen this review?
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070419/COL14/704190388/1095

Just read the first reader comment. Pretty much sums it up for me.

Hello Mark,
Ok where do I start. First, this is nothing personal but as a journalist, could you give us your backround with automobiles? Are you a retired road course racer, weekend warrior, autocrosser, or just a local journalist who happen to have a project reviewing "a car"? The reason I ask is, after reading your article to me it seems as if you lack experience in real performance driving. Why does this matter? Simple. The car that you are testing is not meant for Jane Doe and John Doe but is thoroughly planned and excuted for those enthusiasts who SEEK and DESIRE those qualities of which you see as a short coming (in your case, engine power). 263 horsepower, yes that is actually a very impressive number but is also a very controllable level of power. That is, to a certain crowd of people, whom this car is targeted, whom driving skills are most likely honed through their experiences throughout their gearhead lives. Mark, I don't blame you for your inexperience, but you showed up with your riding boots, jumped on a bull and that bull layed you flat on your bottom. Please, leave it to the real cowboys. Now you believe that the bull, the horspower, was just way too mean. I'm sorry to hear. But you shouldn't be playing out your skill level. I would find your review of a Mazda (non-mazdaspeed) 3 to be more accurate as it is probably more comparable within your eperiences from the kind of cars you are most accustomed to; the Toyota Camry, Honda accord, Buicks, probably minivans. Even then, the 'regular' Mazda 3 is probably at the limit for you.
You wrote this review for the Mazdaspeed 3 and you got attention from a very particular type of crowd. Those who actually own Mazdaspeed 3s. Those who the Mazdaspeed 3 was INTENDED for. Power is actually a luxury, you don't need to use all of it all the time. Would you agree that it's "not an overcooked" car then?
I really think this review of the Mazdaspeed 3 has actually turned into a review of the journalist. If you prefer no power until you hit 6,000ish rpms (like the Honda Civic Si) which is actually an easier car to drive then a car with instant power then be it. The mazdaspeed 3, you never were the driver of the car, the car was driving you. You didn't handle the car, the car handled you. The mazdaspeed 3 isn't overcooked, the mazdaspeed 3 overcooked you.
Drive safely,
Ahproh

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
[quote author=Ferdball link=topic=63380.msg1433767#msg1433767 date=1179988766]
Has anybody seen this review?
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070419/COL14/704190388/1095

Just read the first reader comment. Pretty much sums it up for me.

Hello Mark,
Ok where do I start. First, this is nothing personal but as a journalist, could you give us your backround with automobiles? Are you a retired road course racer, weekend warrior, autocrosser, or just a local journalist who happen to have a project reviewing "a car"? The reason I ask is, after reading your article to me it seems as if you lack experience in real performance driving. Why does this matter? Simple. The car that you are testing is not meant for Jane Doe and John Doe but is thoroughly planned and excuted for those enthusiasts who SEEK and DESIRE those qualities of which you see as a short coming (in your case, engine power). 263 horsepower, yes that is actually a very impressive number but is also a very controllable level of power. That is, to a certain crowd of people, whom this car is targeted, whom driving skills are most likely honed through their experiences throughout their gearhead lives. Mark, I don't blame you for your inexperience, but you showed up with your riding boots, jumped on a bull and that bull layed you flat on your bottom. Please, leave it to the real cowboys. Now you believe that the bull, the horspower, was just way too mean. I'm sorry to hear. But you shouldn't be playing out your skill level. I would find your review of a Mazda (non-mazdaspeed) 3 to be more accurate as it is probably more comparable within your eperiences from the kind of cars you are most accustomed to; the Toyota Camry, Honda accord, Buicks, probably minivans. Even then, the 'regular' Mazda 3 is probably at the limit for you.
You wrote this review for the Mazdaspeed 3 and you got attention from a very particular type of crowd. Those who actually own Mazdaspeed 3s. Those who the Mazdaspeed 3 was INTENDED for. Power is actually a luxury, you don't need to use all of it all the time. Would you agree that it's "not an overcooked" car then?
I really think this review of the Mazdaspeed 3 has actually turned into a review of the journalist. If you prefer no power until you hit 6,000ish rpms (like the Honda Civic Si) which is actually an easier car to drive then a car with instant power then be it. The mazdaspeed 3, you never were the driver of the car, the car was driving you. You didn't handle the car, the car handled you. The mazdaspeed 3 isn't overcooked, the mazdaspeed 3 overcooked you.Drive safely,
Ahproh

[/quote]

That ^^^^^^^ has to be one of the best, most articulate comments I've ever read. And after reading that last part, I'm about ready to worship the writer.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The guys at road and track really like the car for sure and I think some of it is personal, but who can blame them? Sure it might introduce some bias into their review, but it's about time Mazda get that kind of recognition.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey, I know for me it came down to the Kia or the Speed3...couldn't sleep at night deciding....

It seems real?? Not even sure what to say....I'd like to find the comparison article verse an Escalade too though...about as similiar....hahh that is cool, good find.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
101 - 120 of 156 Posts