Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, if you read my "how to deal with a dealer" post I can safely say that the tactics work! Yesterday I rang a dealership who I hadn't talked to yet and got put through to a very genuine, professional sales consultant. One out of three ain't bad odds in this dodgy game!

I told him that I wanted a red SP23 manual hatch and he said they'd had one in their showroom for 3 days. I asked him if he thought $1000 off the RRP was a fair point to start dealing and he said...um...yes, maybe.

To cut a long story short, I got $1150 off the RRP of$32,800, making it $31,650. Before we shook hands I managed to secure floor mats, wheel lock nuts and a tank of fuel. Then to sweeten the deal I rangled a 7.5% interest rate through their finance dept. That's the staff rate.

I take ownership lunch time tomorrow. WOOHOO!!! :D

Now you guys know what's possible!

PS. The cruise control is retailing at $695 but during discussions they said they'd do it for $500. The wheel mounted CC is not available for another month, so I left it out for now.

M

·
0 Posts
Well done Samps!!!

Wish i had those tips before i went into the dealer to seal my deal!!!

Plus you don't have you wait cos have have it right there in the showroom waiting for you!!!

Congrats!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys!

Any thoughts on the fact that it has a Dec '03 build date? I remember a thread suggesting that it made the car a 2003 model, fetching lower prices. It doesn't make sense to me. It's still a 2004 model Mazda.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like a good deal

But my deal is better

Mazda3 SP23 Auto Sedan - (Strato blue)
Larger wing
cruise control on steering wheel
locknuts
Floor mats
smaller number plate (Aus slimline)
courtesy car during service

Sounds like a good deal ?

$32,800

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a pretty good deal based on the auto - that's normally a few grand extra by itself. I forgot to mention the courtesy car b/c thats the standard policy at Penfolds. The guy who sold me the car said he'd organise 2 vouchers for free oil, so that's another $30 savings at each of the first two services. Plus it turns out my friend went to school with the owner's son, so I've got access to the wholesale prices on everything. My dealer said he's look after me on any aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have you actually tied the manaul mode on the AT? :shock: Having driven autos for most my driving life I found the manual mode fantastic. I could really rev the engine rather than the slush box seeking out the most efficient changes. Better still, when I didn't want to play anymore I could switch back to auto mode and let the slush box save me some money.

The auto mode on the 3 is nothing to write home about... much of a muchness really (although it was MUCH smoother than my VX commodore, but we won't go there). Don't discount the AT completely without giving the manual mode a try.

M

·
0 Posts
And an extra 20kg heavier with a $2080 price difference.. (RRP)

:wink: :wink:

M

·
0 Posts
Ahhh, the price of a very nice, best-of-both-worlds tranny.
If you say so....

But you lose the skills of double clutching and heel and toe...

What fun is it without that???

·
Registered
108 Posts
semi-auto is the way of the future... !!!

I've owned a semi-auto Honda Prelude VTiR (one of the first semi-autos to go mainstream) for the past 4 years and drove it in manual mode most of the time... damn fine car to drive... mmmm V-TEC... (I'm gonna miss it)...

Plus if you left foot brake (if you can mater it well), then the semi-auto becomes very exciting to drive...

Must say, the MZ3 semi-auto changes gear a lot quicker though..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Male Bastard is right. Where's the fun? And what happens when the auto fails? Can you push it off the road? However aren't Formula One machines semi auto?? Could still be the way of the future Elmo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
prices

samps said:
Sounds like a pretty good deal based on the auto - that's normally a few grand extra by itself. I forgot to mention the courtesy car b/c thats the standard policy at Penfolds. The guy who sold me the car said he'd organise 2 vouchers for free oil, so that's another $30 savings at each of the first two services. Plus it turns out my friend went to school with the owner's son, so I've got access to the wholesale prices on everything. My dealer said he's look after me on any aftermarket stuff.
how bout posting some prices?

·
Registered
81 Posts
if its a 2003 build date you should have gotten the price lower... when you goto trade it in, the price that you will get will be calculated on a 2003 model mazda3 instead of a 2004. even though its a 2004 model, when you trade it in they only care about the year in which the car was built regardless whether it was built in jan or dec.

·
Registered
519 Posts
kungfucamel said:
even though its a 2004 model, when you trade it in they only care about the year in which the car was built regardless whether it was built in jan or dec.
confused... :? :? (although it may be cos its 2 am and the middle of my night shift on 3 hrs sleep) but what do you mean??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re build year (regardless of month), I'm sorry but that's a narrow view. Which would you rather buy in five years' time... a Dec '03 SP23 with 40,000kms that has been garaged every night or a Jan '04 build with 100,000 on the clock with clear signs of having been parked under trees in the street for its entire life. I could list other factors too, such as servicing intervals, wear/tear on interior, number of carpark dings, quality of tyres, etc, etc.

There's no such thing as a 2003 Mazda3, and you won't find (m)any that were complianced or registered in Australia prior to 2004. Looking after your car will guarantee the best resell value, make no mistake about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts