Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Now I've had a PT Crusier Turbo for almost 3 years (off and on). The BEST Mileage I've had was ALL highway miles driving like my 72 y.o. father, and I only got about 23-24 mpg....with premium gas......maybe 280 or so miles on the tank. I'd average about 225-240 a tank lately(14+ gallon tank).

Now that I have this Mazda 3, HOLY CRAP, it's awesome!!! I still have over a ¼ tank and already have 250+ miles. DAYUM!!! And it's been a lot of stop and go, a tad bit of tollway driving, and some "jack-rabbit" starts (gotta see what the new car has, ya know). REALLY should have purchased this thing LOOOONG AGO!!!! AND the damn thing hugs the damn corners....in stock form!!! Can't wait to see what happens when I start modding this thing.

Just not looking forward to my first oil change....looks fun! :shock:

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah the oil changes in this car are super easy, other than the annoying fact that you've got to take off the splash shield. I actually prefer the cartridge style filters it uses to standard spin-ons now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
good choice moving from the PT to the 3 :irock:

·
Registered
161 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=136241.msg2935547#msg2935547 date=1234570898]
Yeah the oil changes in this car are super easy, other than the annoying fact that you've got to take off the splash shield. I actually prefer the cartridge style filters it uses to standard spin-ons now.
[/quote]
I've been thinking about converting to the spin-on but haven't yet.... curious about why you prefer the cartridge.

·
Registered
155 Posts
[quote author=DewDad link=topic=136241.msg2935415#msg2935415 date=1234567320]
Okay. Now I've had a PT Crusier Turbo for almost 3 years (off and on). The BEST Mileage I've had was ALL highway miles driving like my 72 y.o. father, and I only got about 23-24 mpg....with premium gas......maybe 280 or so miles on the tank. I'd average about 225-240 a tank lately(14+ gallon tank).

Now that I have this Mazda 3, HOLY CRAP, it's awesome!!! I still have over a ¼ tank and already have 250+ miles. DAYUM!!! And it's been a lot of stop and go, a tad bit of tollway driving, and some "jack-rabbit" starts (gotta see what the new car has, ya know). REALLY should have purchased this thing LOOOONG AGO!!!! AND the damn thing hugs the damn corners....in stock form!!! Can't wait to see what happens when I start modding this thing.

Just not looking forward to my first oil change....looks fun! :shock:
[/quote]

Haha.. I used to have a PT Cruiser *parents have it now* and I definitely know what you are talking about in regards to the gas mileage! Also, now when I drive the PT Cruiser *which I only drive if my car is being serviced* and then get back in my car.. my car feels like a flippin cadi compared to the PT

·
Registered
530 Posts
[quote author=rOllOr link=topic=136241.msg2935689#msg2935689 date=1234576094]
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=136241.msg2935547#msg2935547 date=1234570898]
[/quote]
I've been thinking about converting to the spin-on but haven't yet.... curious about why you prefer the cartridge.
[/quote]

The cartridge is no big deal - to me, it's not worth the cost of converting to spin-on. The main added complexity is having to use a torque wrench to tighten the cartridge housing. Perhaps not mandatory, but it's good insurance against over-tightening, and possibly cracking, the plastic housing. The splash shield is the main inconvenience, and it's not much; plus, you've gotta deal with it regardless of the filter type.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
OMG I dislike the PT cruisers handling.......................I had one as a rental car (base), and my friends mom owns one (turbo) and for both of them I had to slow my driving because I would feel like i was tipping it over. Every time I drive one of those it makes me happy to get back into my 3.

On the upside for the PT cruiser...i always liked the fact that the seats were removable.

On another downside...I got 17 on the highway with the base model PT cruiser and was shocked that a small car got the same mileage as a truck.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the turning radius on the GT model was known to suck major donkey balls. Couldn't take ANY corner tight and sometimes had to do almost a three point turn to get into a parking spot.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My wife recently went to a family reunion and got a PTCruiser for a rental. When she got home, she couldn't wait to get back in her Hatch.. she didn't have anything nice to say about the cruiser either.

·
Moderator of donks
32,022 Posts
[quote author=DewDad link=topic=136241.msg2936882#msg2936882 date=1234641916]
Yeah, the turning radius on the GT model was known to suck major donkey balls. Couldn't take ANY corner tight and sometimes had to do almost a three point turn to get into a parking spot.
[/quote]

Any time I drive a car other than my 3 now I am annoyed with the massive turning radius. My salesman told me when I bought mine that the turning radius was smaller than that of Mini Cooper. He demonstrated in the lot :) I never bothered to check the specs, but it is definitely a tight one. I love it.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
the PT got the proverbial axe, so no more of those....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts