Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the story, I have been driving for 3 years now, not exacly a lot, but not a newbie too. I do not speed, I do not tailgate, I've never been in an accident, I've never scratched Mazda's 17 inch alloy on a curb, never cut someone up in traffic and never raced from a red light. And I absolutely baby my new used car.
But, when it comes to parking, I admit it, I absolutely, spectacularly, epicly fail. When i park in front of my work I get comments like " Why do you even bother? ". I am embarraced from my toes to my ears every time I have to park and there is someone watching.
I am asking you, if there is any tips, maybe little refference points on a car or on the road that I can use to park my car better.

P.S.
My old used car was a 96 chevy cavalier 5 sp. I learned to park it backwards pretty well ( 1 meter away from the spot, middle of the car 2.5 spots in front of the parking spot I am parking into, steering whell at full lock and gas) that worked in a sedan, but now that i have a hatch... can't see anything out of my rear window.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you park really really bad, people might think it's intentional... like if you take up two spaces sideways in a parking lot.. :whistle2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, and then U'll find your car with a nice paint strip across the whole side made by some idiot with a key. No thank you :)

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
when going in nose first, I tend to turn in and aim for the center of the spot. Just treat it like you would any other corner. I usually put the curb just under my drivers side mirror so I won't get caught on one and rip my bumper off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
how exactly do you mess up? I mean are you crooked, too far out, park with yellow line under your car?

There are a few things you can try.
I would recommend going to a fairly empty parking lot, that has a couple cars you can try parking beside.

1) Angle your right side mirror so it is facing the ground. This is so when you pull up you can see the yellow line in your side mirror. If you are over to far either way, shift over by backing up a bit with the wheels angling the way you need to go , then pull forward to straighten out, should put you over the distance you need.

2) When you look at a random object, can you tell if it is straight or not? Try parking beside a car that their car is in a straight line properly in their parking spot. Now pull up beside them straight and park. Remember their needs to be like 2 or 3 feet between your car and other car so you can open door.
Then keep practicing.. It is easiest if you park between 2 cars that are bother properly parked in their spot, because then you KNOW your car can fit in that space, and you want to park in between them . You need to treat pulling in a parking space as taking a corner, you need to do a fairly wide turn, if you do a narrow turn you will be in all weird.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Parallel Parking (on right hand side)

-Pull your mazda up to the parked car in front of parking space--your mazda should be 2-5 ft from the parked car for best results.
-Back up your mazda in a straight line until your C pillar (btwn back windshield and rear window) meets the parked car's bumper.
-Stop/slow down severely, turn wheel all the way to the right, then allow car to move backwards. -When mazda is about 45 degrees to the curb or a little less, stop again.
-turn wheel all the way to the left, then ease your way in. At this point, constantly check mirrors to avoid curbing. Get out of car to take a better look at spacing if you need to. Adjust wheel as necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh wow that is actually good tips, never thought of that. Ill try that. I am usually withing the lines, its just that my back is always too far out and I am almost certainly will not park straight. Oh wel, I gues Ill just keep practicing, but thank you for the tips.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Parallel Parking (on right hand side)

-Pull your mazda up to the parked car in front of parking space--your mazda should be 2-5 ft from the parked car for best results.
-Back up your mazda in a straight line until your C pillar (btwn back windshield and rear window) meets the parked car's bumper.
-Stop/slow down severely, turn wheel all the way to the right, then allow car to move backwards.
-When mazda is about 45 degrees to the curb or a little less, stop again.
-turn wheel all the way to the left, then ease your way in. At this point, constantly check mirrors to avoid curbing wheels. Also make sure your front bumper doesn't clip parked car's bumper. Get out of car to take a better look at spacing if you need to. Adjust wheel as necessary.

-if your mazda was 5ft away from parked car to begin with, your mazda needs to be ~45 degrees to curb when backing in. Best for short, tight spaces, but less tolerance for error.
-if your mazda was 3ft away from parked car to begin with, your mazda needs to be ~35 degrees to curb when backing in. Best for longer spaces, mor etolerance for error.
-if you think you're gonna curb, turn wheel all the way to right and pull forward 4 inches, then turn wheel all the way to the left and backup. Repeat if you still think you're gonna curb.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
[quote author=Psy-q link=topic=138157.msg2977982#msg2977982 date=1236283497]
So here is the story, I have been driving for 3 years now, not exacly a lot, but not a newbie too. I do not speed, I do not tailgate, I've never been in an accident, I've never scratched Mazda's 17 inch alloy on a curb, never cut someone up in traffic and never raced from a red light. And I absolutely baby my new used car.
But, when it comes to parking, I admit it, I absolutely, spectacularly, epicly fail. When i park in front of my work I get comments like " Why do you even bother? ". I am embarraced from my toes to my ears every time I have to park and there is someone watching.
I am asking you, if there is any tips, maybe little refference points on a car or on the road that I can use to park my car better.

P.S.
My old used car was a 96 chevy cavalier 5 sp. I learned to park it backwards pretty well ( 1 meter away from the spot, middle of the car 2.5 spots in front of the parking spot I am parking into, steering whell at full lock and gas) that worked in a sedan, but now that i have a hatch... can't see anything out of my rear window.
[/quote]

drive around at night time and just practice parking over and over and over.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
not sure i understand the problem...you want to back into a parking spot?
assuming there was nothing there in that spot, and there are no midgets waiting in the bushes to sneak behind the car and get run over, you only really need to see behind one side of the car (your side). back the car into the correct position relative to the car parked on your side (or the line) and the other side takes care of itself.
(i'm not saying to ignore what's behind you.)
like suggested, you can practice in an empty lot.

as for parallel parking, go to live in england or someplace where there are few "car parks" and you'll learn quickly, lol.

·
Registered
506 Posts
PS-parking at night--->easier to curb wheels b/c hard to see curb in mirror. Get out and look. Check car in front and compare his space btwn wheels and curb, then compare your driver seat to his driver seat in order to check your spacing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well you took the first step by admitting you had a problem.
Now how is your parking at work? Parallel, diagonal or straight in :dunno:

G

·
Since I park in a carport at home I've gotten better at parking in/out but I 'forced' myself to reverse into my space so much that I do it almost where ever I go. That taught me where the wall and other cars are compared to where my car is and I learned where everything 'should be'. The same thing applies to driving in - look at where your side mirrors/hood is when you're at an optimal space and use that as your 'target'.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I sucked at parking too when I first started driving. I've only been driving for a 1 year longer than you lol ;) I had a '98 Maxima before my hatch, and though it seemed like a "boat", I finally got used to it. Now with my hatch, I've grown accustomed to reversing into most spots. Even at work, I'll back into a spot between 2 cars, and I'm proud of myself afterwards hehe. But then people at work will be like "Why do you back into your spots all the time?" I just say "Cuz it looks cool and it's easier to get out!" Anyway, it was a little difficult for me to park my hatch when I got it. Heck I STILL don't know the dimensions and lines of my car! And I've had it for a year now! I fail miserably at parking on curbs, so I end up riding up onto it lol. Anyway, how long have you had your hatch? I'm sure it just takes some getting used to. If it helps, open your window and stick your head out so you can see if you're crossing the lines. If yes, then just back up and do it again. I refuse to park crooked, so I like to straighten out so there's enough room between my car and the doors of the cars beside me. Good luck :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Keep Practicing, then park this, my daily work vehicle

And remember, if you pull in you have to back out, so I normally back in.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've got a simple answer, take a driving course. You need hands on with someone in the passenger seat guiding you through the parking process.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.