Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: synthetic or conventional?

mazta said:
so which one?
Synthetic. And if that's not your cup of...er...oil, then go for dino juice.

On a related note, horizontal blinds are outstanding...but so..are..vertical..blinds.

·
Registered
164 Posts
when i bought the car i was told synthetic wasnt offered in the reccommended 5W-20, havent done any research though...

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
5W-20 is recommended, but it doesn't mean you have to use that shit. In Canada everyone should be using synthetic 10W-30, especially in winter. You would be grossed out to see what regular oil looks like in -30 degree weather, it is like sludge.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm

I was wondering about this too. I've noticed that Castrol SYNTEC comes in 5W-20 now and claim to be the first & only one to do so. It mentions ford specifically but they may not know about the reccomendations for mazda 3 yet.

I REALLY want to get synthetic, but i'm not even really sure SYNTEC is 100% synthetic....

·
Registered
26 Posts
budgy said:
5W-20 is recommended, but it doesn't mean you have to use that shit. In Canada everyone should be using synthetic 10W-30, especially in winter. You would be grossed out to see what regular oil looks like in -30 degree weather, it is like sludge.
You mean 5W-30 right? 10W-30 would be thicker than 5W-20 at low temperature.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Yeah you are right, but 10W-30 Synthetic is better then real 5W-20 at low temps, and that was my point, if you go synthetic you will not need 5W-30.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/

They make a racing version too... And a Driving...

And no, I have no clue who they are.

Quakerstate makes a 5w30, and 5w50, full synth.

--
Myth
Using synthetic motor oil will void a manufacturer's warranty.

Fact
As long as the synthetic product meets the viscosity and performance requirements outlined in the vehicle’s owner’s manual, using synthetic oil will not interfere with the warranty coverage. However, one exception would be the rotary (Wankel) engine used in certain Mazda vehicles, which recommend against the use of synthetic oil in that particular engine.
--

I know 5w20 is recommended, what if I use a 30??

·
Registered
773 Posts
Some info is a slight understatement. The only thing that could make the page more complete is a first-hand interview with the dinosaur that went into some regular oil. After reading it, I have some questions. We definitely should do the flush oil before switching to synthetic, that's obvious, but since our cars are so new, we aren't in any danger of degrading the seals and such, correct?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I will go with what the manufacturer recommends, Polysynthetic 5W-20. Motorcraft sells it at Walmart for $1.77 a quart and I bet you might be able to get an auto parts store to order you a couple cases.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
If I drive it hard like a sporty, live in a mild/temperate climate (45-85F), and like to eat pizza - can I use Mobile1 0w30 syn??

What is the tradeoff?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
But the oil goes in the engine, hence it becomes powerplant. :)

There are a few topics that could make life easier - but the more topics you have, the harder it gets too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
But the oil goes in the engine, hence it becomes powerplant. :)

There are a few topics that could make life easier - but the more topics you have, the harder it gets too.
Yeah, and what makes life really rough is when people keep moving threads around to different topics :p

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That's why I use the post reply button at least once in a thread I want to follow.

Then I receive emails straight to it, regardless of where it gets moved. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts