Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking about getting the cpe 3 gauge pod and want to get a prosport oil pressure gauge. Where do I tap in for oil pressure? Do I need to do the oil filter conversion with a plate to give me a place to connect it to?..Thanks

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
you have a few options:

1. as you mentioned, get that spin on filter conversion kit and then get the sandwich adaptor that can mount to it to give you the extra 1/8" NPT connections to tap into. yes, you absolutely need the sandwich adaptor in addition to the conversion kit, because it's what will give you the connections you need.

2. drill and tap into the oil pan (lolz...).

3. use the stock oil pressure sensor tap and split it into two connections.

i used option 3, and it worked out pretty damn well. the stock oil pressure sensor (the one that will trigger an idiot light when your oil pressure completely bombs out) is located at the top of the stock oil filter housing. this connection is a 1/4" NPT connection, so you're going to have to split this so that one end connects to the stock 1/4" NPT sensor and the other goes to your prosport oil pressure sender (1/8", i'm betting). keep in mind that the oil pressure sender on the aftermarket gauge is probably freakin huge, so you're NOT going to want to have it hangout off its brass fitting. tie this sender down somewhere on the frame of the car and run a hose to it from the splitter. keep in mind that in order for you to get that stock sensor out of the car, you're going to need to empty your oil pan, so it's best to do this during an oil change...=d gl!

·
Registered
452 Posts
You don't need to "empty the oil pan" to install a oil pressure sensor. The sensor is mounted like you said on the top/side of the filter housing. You can remove the stock sensor without draining the oil out of the pan. Also why would you "drill and tap into the oil pan" for a oil pressure sensor? Maybe a oil temp sensor, but if you are making pressure in the oil pan something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=135949.msg2929321#msg2929321 date=1234373679]
You don't need to "empty the oil pan" to install a oil pressure sensor. The sensor is mounted like you said on the top/side of the filter housing. You can remove the stock sensor without draining the oil out of the pan. Also why would you "drill and tap into the oil pan" for a oil pressure sensor? Maybe a oil temp sensor, but if you are making pressure in the oil pan something is wrong.
[/quote]

you can unplug the stock oil pressure sensor with a full load of oil and not have it leak? if so, i didn't realize that, which would save you the trouble of waiting for an oil change to do this install. i wasn't paying attention to the oil pan thing...that would definitely not be the place to drill and tap...:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Removing the stock oil pressure switch will cause a few drops of oil to leak out but that is all, it is well above the oil level in the pan plus the oil would have to come through the oil pump to even get to the open fitting. Just don't turn the engine over with the sensor out or it will make a huge mess.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=135949.msg2929946#msg2929946 date=1234387725]
Removing the stock oil pressure switch will cause a few drops of oil to leak out but that is all, it is well above the oil level in the pan plus the oil would have to come through the oil pump to even get to the open fitting. Just don't turn the engine over with the sensor out or it will make a huge mess.
[/quote]

ahhh...ya, that makes sense. well, i guess i went through way more trouble than i needed to for my install...=/

·
Registered
305 Posts
[quote author=onetechyguy link=topic=135949.msg2930763#msg2930763 date=1234407798]
Thanks. I think i'll go with the adapter plate & convert my filter.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that Mazda does not like this being done and can void your engine warranty due to it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
[quote author=bravnik link=topic=135949.msg2931878#msg2931878 date=1234457930]
[quote author=onetechyguy link=topic=135949.msg2930763#msg2930763 date=1234407798]
[/quote]

Keep in mind that Mazda does not like this being done and can void your engine warranty due to it.
[/quote]

And is exactly why I never did the conversion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I, for one, don't see how an adapter can void a warranty. But regardless, I am going to get the fitting first and see how it comes out, if it's crappy I will get an oil filter block adapter kit.

·
Registered
427 Posts
[quote author=bravnik link=topic=135949.msg2931878#msg2931878 date=1234457930]
[/quote]

[/quote]

with a sandwich plate, yes they can void your warranty but with out it no they cannot. because you used genuine Mazda parts they cant. they would actually have to PROVE that the switch killed your engine which is almost impossible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
[quote author=starfuryt550 link=topic=135949.msg3327584#msg3327584 date=1253130866]
I, for one, don't see how an adapter can void a warranty. But regardless, I am going to get the fitting first and see how it comes out, if it's crappy I will get an oil filter block adapter kit.
[/quote]

I just installed mine on sat evening using fittigs. They were $12 from a really good hardware/ rubber and tranny place by me.

I got 2x 45drg bends and 1x T fitting. Steel with plating...and some Teflon.
It works perfect. The two 45* fitting bring it perfectly away from the block

I can take some pics for y'all after work if you wanna see how it looks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts