Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start taking my car to outside shops to do small things like oil changes. It is cheaper, obviously. But i have heard that i NEED to have an oil filter from mazda or else mazda will void my warranty.

i would just like to get that cleared up. so far im still taking my car to the dealer.

thanks!

·
Registered
782 Posts
My cousin has a Honda Accord and just got dinged today for taking her car to an outside shop that didn't use a Honda filter for the oil change. The problem wasn't so much the non-OEM filter but the fact that the mechanic left some kind of plastic wrap or something that got caught in the filter thread and caused an oil leak. So she saved $10 on the oil change but had to pay another $125 for the dealer to diagnose the problem and redo the oil change. :shock:

There is nothing in the owner's manual that states you must use the Mazda OEM filter or else your warranty is void. Any dealer that tells you that should be referred to Mazda HQ. Many people do their own oil changes using aftermarket oil filters that are just as good as the OEM filter. However, not using the OEM filter immediately tells the dealer that you had your previous oil change done at an outside shop, and if you have any engine problems related to or near the filter, you may have a more difficult time proving that the problem wasn't the result of an improper oil change. This means rather than doing the repair under warranty, you may have to foot the bill yourself. Is that risk worth the amount saved per oil change?

IMO, unless you have a trustworthy mechanic that you personally know does quality work and is familiar with Mazdas, I'd either do your own oil changes or take it to the dealer as long as the car is under warranty. You might also want to consider buying the OEM oil filters yourself and bringing them to your mechanic to do the change.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Unless Mazda provides you with free filters, you are legally allowed to use non-OEM consumables for car maintenance and still maintain your warranty. Like Kendalf, I recommend using a trusted mechanic or the dealership if you're not going to do the oil change yourself.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! I still have 1 year left on the warranty so i think i will be bringing it back there for oil changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts