Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my oil changed at a Big 0's a week ago.  They ended up overfilling it by a half quart so I took it back the same afternoon and they drained some.  It looked to be at the full mark, so I neglected it for a week.  I checked it after an autocross today...still overfull by a thumbnail or so.  Must have been the heating process or something.  So I took it back about 15 mins before closing time at Big 0 Tires.  Of course I've been racing all day so the oil is #$%# hot, and the poor tech burns his hand trying to let out some oil without draining it all and refilling it.  I do feel bad for the guy, but then he proceeds to drain it all out (like he should have the first time) and refill it...but he uses the wrong oil weight of 10W30 instead of 5W30 like the manual calls for.  He doesn't even tell me this...I happen to notice by looking at the empty oil container in the trash can...which is also the junk generic brand synthetic instead of the Pennzoil Platinum that I paid $70 dollar for the first time!  I call him on it...and he says  "dude just rock this oil it doesn't matter what weight it is"  I tell him the owner's manual clearly calls for 5W30.  They say they don't have any 5W30, can they use 5W20 instead?  I say NO.  I suggest that I drive to the nearest Autozone to buy the oil FOR THEM so that they use the correct weight.  By this point, the tech starts cussing and saying this is #$# ridiculous and he shouldn't be having to do this, that he didn't overfill the oil, he put in how much the manual calls for, something must be out of whack, or I'm lying, or whatever.

I convince them I cannot use 10W30. They finally agree to let me buy the correct oil myself and bring it back.  But of course they don't want to pay for it.  Reluctantly, the cashier takes  $40 dollars from their register to pay for the Autozone oil after I insist.  So I drive to Autozone, which, less than a month ago, was a thriving business, but now has closed permanently and gone out of business (economy?).  I drive 10 mins back to Big O's and tell them I have no oil.  They freak out.  I say, look, there's two options here:  either I drive to Wal-Mart which is a 30 minute round trip and buy the oil there (by this time they are 1 hour past closing time) or you just refund me the money for the synthetic oil change ($67) and I go on my merry way.  The tech manning the register starts saying "f**k, f**k, whatever" over and over again.  He takes my debit card and puts the refund on it.  I leave the store, swearing never to stop there again in my lifetime.

So, the question is, and I know this has been a long and entangled story, do I leave the synthetic 10W30 oil in there over the Las Vegas summer (110 degrees F), or do I pay the Mazda dealer to change it back to 5W30??

· Registered
595 Posts
[quote author=sandman2 link=topic=143232.msg3086129#msg3086129 date=1240798250]
So, the question is, and I know this has been a long and entangled story, do I leave the synthetic 10W30 oil in there over the Las Vegas summer (110 degrees F), or do I pay the Mazda dealer to change it back to 5W30??
[/quote]

Why not change it yourself? :shock:

You got your money back, go buy 5w30 Syn. and do the oil change yourself. :)

· Registered
2,167 Posts
the difference between 10w30 and 5w30 is that 5w30 handles colder temps better than 10w30...for high temps (which is what you would care about in las vegas), 10w30 is just fine. i hate the freakin overfill on this car...it's REALLY easy to overfill! that's why i always just give them a 5qt container of pennzoil plat and tell them i'll put the rest in myself...=/

· Registered
462 Posts
In Vegas at 110F 10W30 is just fine. Its probably more appropriate than 5W30. If I were you I would use 5W40 all year round.

Never trust an oil change business. Time is their enemy. They will do what they have to do to get you out of there fast.

I think what happens with the speed3 is at hot temps the oil reads over full for one reason or another and that confuses the issue. I always under fill during the oil change and slowly add oil a little bit at a time WHEN COLD.

You want something done right in this world you gotta do it yourself. All the major auto stores take-in waste oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.