Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 speed 3 sport hatchback 90K miles, always serviced religiously at the dealer, which is now going through 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. There are no leaks externally and the car does not smoke at all. The dealer doesn't seem to know what the problem is. In fact they gave me a gallon jug of oil and told me to keep an eye it, and I am talking about a super schmansy Mazda dealer not some shade tree mechanic.
The reason I say it doesn't at least look like its leaking is because it is garage kept and the floor is completely dry. Not a spot! So consumption is the likely candidate it must do it very efficiently as I see zero smoke. I do periodically get a check engine light for air mixture? Is this common? and if so is there a cure?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2008 speed 3 sport hatchback 90K miles, always serviced religiously at the dealer, which is now going through 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. There are no leaks externally and the car does not smoke at all. The dealer doesn't seem to know what the problem is. In fact they gave me a gallon jug of oil and told me to keep an eye it, and I am talking about a super schmansy Mazda dealer not some shade tree mechanic.
The reason I say it doesn't at least look like its leaking is because it is garage kept and the floor is completely dry. Not a spot! So consumption is the likely candidate it must do it very efficiently as I see zero smoke. I do periodically get a check engine light for air mixture? Is this common? and if so is there a cure?
Not that I claim to be an expert in Mazda, but has anyone changed out the PCV valve?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not that I claim to be an expert in Mazda, but has anyone changed out the PCV valve?
Although it's certainly possible the PCV valve is an issue, it's a PITA to change on our vehicles. For whatever reason, Mazda located it UNDER the intake manifold, so that and a bunch of other stuff has to be removed in order to change the PCV. Not exactly my idea of a 'routine maintenance' item.

The OP didn't indicate if this is a 2.3 or a 2.0 engine. There's a world of difference between those two, with the 2.3 well known to have serious issues, and fail often. Any doubters can take a look at the multiple 2.3 to 2.5 swap threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to everything I read online all 2008 speed3's have a 2.3L engine?. I do know I was stunned at the cost of replacing the PCV Valve $500+ (at an independent mechanic), I thought it was a $10 DIY job until I looked into it....Yikes!

·
Registered
266 Posts
According to everything I read online all 2008 speed3's have a 2.3L engine?. …
Yes, that could be. The only doc I have shows 2008 being a transition year for the Sport, with either engine available. That might be incorrect - IDK. But if yours is a 2.3L then there's probably a good chance the engine is starting to wet the bed. I'd do a wet and dry compression test and see what all of the numbers look like.

.... I do know I was stunned at the cost of replacing the PCV Valve $500+ (at an independent mechanic), …
That's around 5 hours labor, which IMO could be cut in half by a good mechanic who's done a few of these before. However, that's just my shade tree opinion, based on taking a couple manifolds off at a U-pull. Maybe if Matt happens to read this, perhaps he will chime in with his professional take on that.

… I thought it was a $10 DIY job until I looked into it....Yikes!
Well, actually it is, as long a you don't bill yourself for any of the hours (which will end up being more than 5) that you spend doing the job ;)
However, before rolling up your sleeves for the PCV replacement, I'd suggest the compression testing first. It might not bring good news, but I'm sure you want to know the answer (either way). And BTW , if your engine is a 2.3L, the stealership you went to is FULLY aware of the history of issues with that engine - they're just not interested in sharing it with you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2008 Speed3 isn't consuming as much oil as yours, but it certainly requires monitoring. This weekend I am planning to change the PCV valve, but I fear that I am facing the dreaded turbo exhaust seal leaking. I have only seen smoke when I was idling for a very long time, ironically it was while waiting in a FAST food line. I do, however, regularly smell burning oil. If you are a do it yourself-er, start with the PCV valve, but be ready for a difficult job. Not just reaching the PCV valve, but getting that sucker out of the rubber grommet it is in. But, I am thinking that one thing you can do to possibly check if the PCV valve needs replacing is to pull the rubber hose off that connects the PCV valve to the intake manifold and see whether there is a good amount of oil in that hose. If so, replacing the PCV valve may help, but I would also fear that you have excessive blow by gasses.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Replacing the PCV is a PITA the first time the task is tackled. I wouldn't blink at doing it again since I know what to expect. Let me know if you need guidance, because it's one job people post on the web where little to no detail is given for how to properly complete the job. The major sticking point (for me) was no one posted how to properly remove the one vacuum line that goes to the intake. The second is how to properly remove the PCV.

I have pictures in a thread here along with instructions for the details above. What helped me, of all things, was finding a video on YouTube where he gentleman demonstrates the procedure on his Ford Modeo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth, I purchased an 05 with the 2.3 in February, and it was going through oil at the same rate. I found that the valve cover gasket was leaking oil into the spark plug valley (there was about an inch of oil in there :oops:) Anyhow, replaced the valve cover gasket and kept an eye on it, been about 5 months, two oil changes, and 8,000 miles (I drive a lot), haven't had to add any oil between services. Might be worth looking at since it's a relatively cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
469 Posts
For what it's worth, I purchased an 05 with the 2.3 in February, and it was going through oil at the same rate. I found that the valve cover gasket was leaking oil into the spark plug valley (there was about an inch of oil in there :oops:) Anyhow, replaced the valve cover gasket and kept an eye on it, been about 5 months, two oil changes, and 8,000 miles (I drive a lot), haven't had to add any oil between services. Might be worth looking at since it's a relatively cheap and easy fix.
I had forgotten about the valve cover gasket. It was redesigned quite a while ago. I caught the issue with my car during a service interval when I noticed plug threads had oil on them (for two spark plugs). When replacing the gasket, I was surprised to discover several of the fasteners on the battery side of the engine bay were barely finger tight. I installed all fasteners with Locktite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts