Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yeah i changed my own oil...everything worked great...followed everything to the T...and well i put really good oil in my car that says its rated for 12000 miles...well i am just turning my 7000 mile mark and my engine starts clunking...well i got out checked my oil...there is none...there is a crack in the oil filter canister black plastic cap...well the dealership said they wont cover it cause its from over tightening it...and i need a new engine...they say with parts and labor its gonna be 10,000 dollars to replace...i dont know what to do...im soo pissed off...it should be covered under warranty... changing your own oil should not void your warranty...i talked to my lawyers and im getting opinions...what do you guys think i should do..

Daniel

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=Nikonforever1 link=topic=69492.msg1206929#msg1206929 date=1171466434]
changing your own oil should not void your warranty...
[/quote]

It doesn't. But if you make a mistake while changing your oil that ends up damaging your car, then why should Mazda have to pay for it?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Yet another horror story about cracked cartridge housings... Sorry to hear that.

I think some sort of warning light should go on if you're running low on oil but I guess that doesn't happen. :(

Other people reading this should torque the canister to the specified amount using the mazda filter socket and not use guess work.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It doesn't. But if you make a mistake while changing your oil that ends up damaging your car, then why should Mazda have to pay for it?
Totally agree.

i put really good oil in my car that says its rated for 12000 miles...well i am just turning my 7000 mile mark and my engine starts clunking...well i got out checked my oil...there is none...
First of all, are you saying that you drove 7000 miles and never checked oil level? If not, then it is your fault.
Second, just because the oil is good for 12000 miles, doesn't mean that you just put that stuff in and forget it, If needed you have to top off once in a while so that it can do its job.

Now you're gonna say that the car is spanking new and should not burn any oil, well during 7000 miles I don't know any car that will not burn a drop of oil. If you have checked the oil level periodically you would have noticed increased oil consumption. Cracked filter housing did not caused your engine to loose oil overnight, it happened slowly, and even if it did, you would've noticed a big puddle of oil under your car. So by not checking you oil level you failed to notice low oil level, and that is your fault not Mazdas,

Now, as far as warranty work, its obvious that Mazda is not at fault, however if you approach the matter in a calm and polite manner with service manager, you might get it covered under warranty, or at least they may cover a portion of it (say cost of labor)
Now throwing lawyers at them or going to the dealer and "raising hell" will not do you any good, as it will put the dealership in defencive mod and you may end up with nothing.

At the end its your callo so good luck.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The responses so far have just about covered everything, but I'll make a couple more comments.

I'm not sure what oil you put in, but even if it's rated for 12,000 miles, the Mazda warranty requires you to change it by 7,500 miles no matter what. Luckily, you're inside of the 7,500 mile mark. Once you're out of your warranty period, feel free to change your oil whenever you want, but if you're not checking your oil at least once over 7,000 miles maybe you shouldn't be extending your oil change intervals. Besides, just because an oil claims it can go 12,000 miles doesn't mean your driving conditions and habits support that. You have to tailor your habits and conditions to the kind of oil you are using. In the manual, if you drive in nice conditions and are never hard on the car, you can go 7,500 miles. Severe duty conditions (which most of us qualify for) call for changing the oil every 5,000 miles.

Humans needs to start taking responsibility in situations like this. You shouldn't be relying 100% on a machine or some sort of marketing label to tell you how to properly maintain your car (or anything else). There has to come a point when you have to use some common sense. Good luck with the situation, but it sounds like you might have brought this on yourself by not checking the oil regularly after going an extended amount of miles between planned oil changes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I really hate that plastic cap.

How often were you checking your oil level? Didn't the oil pressure light come on?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If you checked your oil on a consistant basis, this would of never been an issue. This problem obviously happened over time (7,000 miles), and could of easily been prevented. My brothers girlfriend is the same way with a car. Never, ever will check the oil...since she's a girl. Then she wonders why she is 2 quarts low on a 4 quart engine (Saturn), and the car is running badly. A good rule of thumb is check your oil every time you gas up. It takes 30 seconds, and those seconds could have saved you $10,000. Pay up for your ignorance, certainly Mazda will not.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ouch... that's gotta hurt... >_<

^^^ She drives a Saturn? She should be checking her oil every 2-3 days, seriously :p I had one prior to my 3 ('95 SW2, 220k km's) and it burned a quart per week. It's a known problems with the tupperware's.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Someone should create a metal oil filter canister cap....id buy one.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=everett-m3s link=topic=69492.msg1207671#msg1207671 date=1171484971]
[/quote]

It's called the spin-on conversion! LOL I know it's a highly debated topic, but I like knowing I won't have to mess with that plastic cap breaking ever.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=69492.msg1207674#msg1207674 date=1171485116]
[quote author=everett-m3s link=topic=69492.msg1207671#msg1207671 date=1171484971]
[/quote]

It's called the spin-on conversion! LOL I know it's a highly debated topic, but I like knowing I won't have to mess with that plastic cap breaking ever.
[/quote]

other than the possible warranty problem, is there anything else debated? I'm not worried on the warranty, I'm nearly out of it anyway. I just have a handful of filters to go through (and I'm lazy)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Not really, just people worried about the warranty. I changed mine over to a spin-on at 10K miles. I'm now at 26K with zero problems. Plus, I get to use an oversized filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts